System heat

GypsyJo

In my 2006 Monaco Camelot, I have a system heat switch . I looked in my manual and in the forum and don't find anything on this.   Is it too keep my wet bay warm when temps drop below a certain degree?  I have turned switch on when we were in the 20s but it doesn't light up. Can you help me to figure this out?  

Thank you

If you have a wiring diagram you can see what you have. 

In my case I had the small cube heater in the wet bay that is controlled by a snap disc, it comes on ~35F and goes off ~45F.  The light next to my system heat switch lights up when it gets cold and the heater comes on. 

My wiring diagram also showed a relay for a "Cold Weather Package" which based on wiring diagrams (shown as an option) included pad heaters, but from what I could tell I didn't have.  Then last year I was looking for something and found a set of wires coiled on top of my black water tank.  Did some testing and found it was in fact the wires for the pad heater so I went ahead and added 3 pad heaters, two under the fresh water tank and 1 under the black and gray water straddling both tanks. 

Both the small heater and the pads are controlled by the snap disc.  I keep a remote temp monitor in the tank bay and even in temps down in the teens and the bay stays at 45F.

I test my system by bypassing the snap disc by connecting both wires, the heater runs and the light comes on. 

On my coach power for the System heat comes from the rear passenger side compartment where there is a copper strip that a 30 amp circuit breaker attaches too.  You might check this, mine did not work at one point and I had found the nut loose. 

Edited by jacwjames

10 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Post a picture of the switch you are speaking of and what location it is mounted.

I will have to get back to it. Currently I'm having my slideout floor replaced at service department.  

I have the same switch on the control board in the hall. I came to the conclusion that it was for an option that I didn't have, a wet bay heater. I wanted to use it both because I need wet bay heat sometimes and because I hate switches that don't do anything.

I ended up with a different solution for wet bay heat though. I install a 500 watt box heater in the wet bay. It is plugged into a thermostatic wifi switch. The switch turns on and off at whatever temperatures I set it for (I use 40F and 45F). The wifi hooks to the mobile hot spot in the motorhome and I control it from my phone. I can check the temperature in the wet bay anytime and anywhere. I have another heater and switch inside the motorhome also.

We spent 3 months in the motorhome one winter where temperatures often got into the single digits at night. That was before I had installed the wet bay heat. I found that as long as we were running the furnace to heat the motorhome I had no problems with freezing in the wet bay or tanks. The heater ducts in the floor would keep everything warm enough.

PXL_20220228_160049621.jpg

23 minutes ago, BillDeb45 said:

Where can the bay heaters be purchased

Do you have one in your wet bay? Some have just used a 40 or 60 watt drop light for heat. Here is a pic of mine of which did not work till Tom Cherry told me about the easy fix. He has a write up in our downloads. I had to later replace the snap disc though. They are about $300 if you can find one.

E051F506-DCA6-4F35-93A0-0EFFE89719FD.jpeg

7ECEC772-8A69-4A43-99A7-8389006C272B.jpeg

The heater I'm using is just a 500 watt personal space heater that you can buy just about anywhere for around $15. I wouldn't  mind having something a little more commercial duty but I haven't run across one yet. I've been using this one for 2 years and it runs just about every night in the winter where I live.

46 minutes ago, BillDeb45 said:

Where can the bay heaters be purchased

Here is another source.

896ECBF7-2C39-47B0-8395-B25CB8AA2D62.png

16 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

I installed a 200 watt heater and plug this thermal Cube into it works great 

16460694428883532350795500499214.jpg

Yep, love the Thermo Cube.  I use it in the cargo area where I remove the cover over some plumbing gear including the water pump.  I set up a heat lamp in one of those aluminum chicken coop light fixtures aimed at the plumbing access.  I have a remote thermometer that I can monitor from in the house.  Works great!

If the System Heat switches are there your coach may be prewired for the heater.

Mine came with the heater but was prewired for the pads.  An easy/cheap upgrade since all the wiring was already in place. 

You might see if there is a wiring bundle tucked up behind the front panel in the wet bay, also look for a snap disc which would probably be mounted on the side wall up high.