Main/LR Slide won't come in or out

Pulled in to campground and can't get the Main/LR Slide to move in or out. RV is level.

When pushing LR slide switch I can hear the normal sound as if it was moving, but no motion. My LR slide is hydraulic and uses the same hydraulic system as the GEN uses. GEN comes in and out just fine. Since GEN works, I feel like the hydraulic part of the system is working, and the sound I hear when pressing the button in/out is the normal hydraulic sound I hear when it worked fine. It's like the slide is stuck and the hydraulic fluid is going in bypass mode because the slide is not able/wanting to move.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can convey.

Bill

USN Retired

It's been a while since I looked into it but I don't think there is a bypass mode with HWH system? Fluid level? I would check the T-handles on the valves to see if one might have vibrated open since the sound is like usual. Other than a major leak somewhere...

Does it sound as if the oil is being bypassed when the pump comes on to operate that slide? As in high pressure due to something stuck or a travel lock still engaged?

I checked the bypass valves to sure all are tight (4, I think one for in, one for out for the GEN and for the slide).

Feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong, but since the pump runs and GEN goes in and out, the fuse must be good? Having said that, I did find 2 fuses and both were good.

Thanks

Bill

4 minutes ago, BradHend said:

Does it sound as if the oil is being bypassed when the pump comes on to operate that slide? As in high pressure due to something stuck or a travel lock still engaged?

I think you are on to something.

The sound I hear sounds like the oil is being bypassed, which is why I think it is stuck or locked. How can I undo the travel lock?

I’m talking about the coil for the hydraulic valve.  If you were to hold a screwdriver against the coil for that slide wile trying to operate it, it should stick to the coil as it should be magnetized.  You can check others to tell as well. 
just trying to narrow your issue down. 
I would think you are correct that the issue is not a fuse issue. 

Edited by BradHend

I think this is a picture of the hydraulic valves, correct?

Tomorrow I will use a screw driver and see if they are working, by seeing if the coils "magnetize" when I press the slide and GEN in/out button.

Good Idea Brad. They only question I have is: If the slide does not come in, or out, wouldn't that mean two coils are bad?

Thanks,

Bill

Pics of front Hydraulic Slide and Gen stuff.jpg

Another question. Where do I check the hydraulic fluid for the Slide/GEN?

I think I have found the oil reservoir, and the vent cap on top. It has four coils connected, with the pump, on the side of the reservoir, but when I turn the vent cap on top, it just turns and turns, like it is not threaded. Do I just pry it off, or is there some other place to check the hydro fluid?

I have 2 slides, one LR that is hydraulic and the bedroom slide, which is mechanical (motor/gear driven).

1 minute ago, BradHend said:

How many slides do you have? 

I could be totally wrong, and I apologize if I’ve thrown you off track.   
However, to answer your question about the slide not coming in or out, I would think that if the slide is already in, it therefore couldn’t come in anymore, so if you have an open coil to extend the slide, that would explain why you can’t do either, however I would have expected it budge even just a bit.   Sound reasonable?

If you happen to look into these coils, make sure you don’t operate them without something metal inside the coil (preferably the plunger that is supposed to be there, but a metal screwdriver shaft should be okay for short increments as well).  

You could quite easily measure the resistance of the coil leads and compare them to the others to check for an open or shorted coil, or if you don’t have a meter, swap the extend coil with one from your generator and try again.  Just be very careful.  Don’t force them off or anything as the insulating wrap could be quite delicate now and you’d have a nice coil of fine copper to play with.  
Hope this helps.

Edited by BradHend

Good Point Brad.

I appreciate your taking the time to provide good input , thanks. I think you might be hitting on something.

If it is the coil, anyone know where to get one, quick 🙂

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Corkman said:

Another question. Where do I check the hydraulic fluid for the Slide/GEN?

I think I have found the oil reservoir, and the vent cap on top. It has four coils connected, with the pump, on the side of the reservoir, but when I turn the vent cap on top, it just turns and turns, like it is not threaded. Do I just pry it off, or is there some other place to check the hydro fluid?

Right under the cap is where you can slide a 3/4 wrench and the whole thing will unscrew, there is a short dipstick in it too.

Wow, that's a surprise. You need a wrench to check the fluid level.

I suspect the fluid is probably fine, based on other intel, but thanks for the education.

Bill

Check your bay doors. One could be open or the switch could be broken or shorted. Slides won’t move if the doors are open.

11 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Check your bay doors. One could be open or the switch could be broken or shorted. Slides won’t move if the doors are open.

Good idea but would the pump still be able to run if that was the case? 

Have been able to find the control board for your hydraulic system yet? Could be able to troubleshoot from there as well with a meter. 

I don't think my 2001 has a control board. I know from experience that when the outside door is open, nothing happens. No power, no noise, no anything.

In this case I don't think it is the outside doors.

Thanks,

Bill

Does this make sense?

1. These "coils" are basically solenoids similar to the ones used for the air leveling system, correct? When power is applied the coils pull the valve out, opening the valve so that hydraulic fluid can flow through , opening or closing the slide. Agree?

2. If #1 is true, then if I can identify the solenoid that operates the slide "extend" flow, I can open/loosen the extend valve "T" Handle/Valve release nut, then press the out switch, and the pump will allow the hydraulic fluid to flow to open the slide out. 

3. If you agree, then I can do this to open the slide until I can replace the solenoid. Of course I can also swapped solenoids to achieve the same thing, but opening the "T" valve seems easier. 

4. Anyone know where I can order the solenoids, or have part numbers?

Does this make sense, or am I missing something? I was planning to try this later today when we reach our destination if you all think it makes sense.

Thanks,

Bill

Yup. Makes sense to me.  
My slides are electric, however I’m an elevator mechanic so I do know a thing or two about hydraulics.   The design of your valves may be slightly different than what we use in the industry, but the concept is essentially the same.  
Give it a whirl, if nothing else, you’ll gain the experience and know how if needed down the road.  
You “shouldn’t” mess anything up trying it out as you suggested.  

If it ends up working it doesn’t necessarily mean the solenoid coil is bad…you’ll need to confirm power is there before you can be certain.  Problem could be in the wiring upstream. 

I think the T-handle basically is a there for emergency use, if you open it it allows the hydraulic fluid to bypass. 

If you think it is a solenoid you might try swapping two of them so you can open your slide, will have to swap back if it works to pull the slide back in.

Here is a link to HWH slideout parts listing, you will have to know what system you have. https://www.hwhcorp.com/mr41.html

I’ve had a bad solenoid in the past and I swapped the plugs and used the generator slide ones to operate my slide by using the generator slide button. When I got home I installed the new solenoid 

• Confused 1