2006 Cayman help needed.

I bought a running, driving 2006 Monaco Cayman with the 5.9 Cummins for a great deal. Im going through the drive train now and have a sensor that I cant identify. It looks like a water temp sensor but I cant be sure. Its located between the EGR cooler and the valve cover and threads down in the head. It has two spade connectors going to it but only one wire was hooked up when I got it and when I touched it the terminal just fell apart due to corrosion. There are three wires that come across from the pass side of the motor that are not hooked up and have no connectors on them, all white in color but each in a separate wire loom. Can anyone tell me what the sensor is and which wire/wires get hooked to it. I can add a picture if needed. 

20220414_182554.jpg

Edited by Squints2c
Added photo

4 hours ago, BradHend said:

Post a pic, I’ll compare to my ‘05 this weekend. 

Excuse the mess, I'm putting new valve cover gaskets on. It's between cylinders 2 and 3.  I peeled back the loom and it says water temp sensor but there was only the one wire hooked up and there is two spade terminals on the sensor. If you can tell me if yours has two and what the other wire is, I would appreciate it. Also the other two wires say "oil pressure" and "oil pressure alarm" I'm not sure where they go. Thanks for the help.

20220414_181539.jpg

20220414_181850.jpg

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Peel back the loom a little and see if the wires have markings on them.  Most of my wires have markings, a couple relays in my drivers side electrical bay I was able to identify by looking at the markings.

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. I peeled them back and they are all labeled. I have never seen that in any vehicle I've ever worked on. Thanks Cummins. The three are Water temp, oil pressure and oil pressure alarm. 

1 hour ago, Squints2c said:

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. I peeled them back and they are all labeled. I have never seen that in any vehicle I've ever worked on. Thanks Cummins. The three are Water temp, oil pressure and oil pressure alarm. 

Thank Monaco!  You'll find wires throughout the coach with that labeling . . . pretty sweet.

- bob

• Like 1

My guess would be that it is Monaco, not Cummins marking and the wires go to your dash. Many, if not all 2 post sensors send ground signal, one solid to the warning light when in alarm and one variable to the gauge. That would seem to correspond to your wire markings. To be sure, I would check behind the dash for the same wires at respective places. If so, they can be tested by grounding at the sensor side, for continuity.

• Like 1

Hey Rich. 
Went and checked, oddly enough I had one wire hooked up, and another wire sitting there  but appears it just fell off the connector of the sensor.  I’m gonna put it on and see if that was the cause of my temp sensor intermittently not working maybe tomorrow if the weather isn’t bad.  However, here is a pic of how I found it with the respective labels under the wire loom.  For sure it’s a water temperature sensor.   Hope this helps, if you need any more info, don’t hesitate to ask.  Good luck! 

24D84D66-CFBC-4A4A-8C1A-FAC91423AE4F.jpeg

Edited by BradHend
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BradHend said:

Hey Rich. 
Went and checked, oddly enough I had one wire hooked up, and another wire sitting there  but appears it just fell off the connector of the sensor.  I’m gonna put it on and see if that was the cause of my temp sensor intermittently not working maybe tomorrow if the weather isn’t bad.  However, here is a pic of how I found it with the respective labels under the wire loom.  For sure it’s a water temperature sensor.   Hope this helps, if you need any more info, don’t hesitate to ask.  Good luck! 

3 hours ago, BradHend said:

Hey Rich. 

Thanks so much for your time, I havent located the water temp alarm yet but there is a bundle on the pass side of the motor that I have looked at yet. That will be my Saturday project after I get the valve cover back on and new turbo plumbing installed.  

20 hours ago, BradHend said:

Hey Rich. 

I found my water temp alarm. Mine was capped off, way up in the wire loom. It looks factory. 

20220416_143613.jpg