Mini Cooper vs The Wild, Wild West?

Hi all!  I have a Mini Cooper as my TOAD for my ‘96 Crown Royale Sig. I’m a full timer and planning to head West. 

Would anyone have experience using a Mini on the remote desert roads?  Could my Mini do the job or will a 4 wheel drive be required?

Thanks for your insight!

Joe

A mini is probably the most inappropriate vehicle for the desert sw unless you plan on staying on regularly maintained dirt roads under ideal conditions. Anytthing else and you can plan on long stays or long hikes.

When a monsoon rolls thru during the summer you can see several inches of rain in just a few minutes turning everything to deep mud and flash floods, any dirt road becomes a challenge with 4 wheel drive. In the red Rock area the mud is the stickyist stuff I've ever seen, every step collects more mud until you can hardly pick up you feet.

If you watch the weather closely and don't get crazy on where you go, a passenger car can work in a pinch but you're taking a big chance.

Good luck

It might be a surprise to some but there are paved roads out the Wild West for people who only go to towns. Now if you want to go on desert trails, a Mini would not be the right vehicle. You'll be fine to stay at some BLM places but for exploring the back trails I would take at least a higher clearance vehicle, better yet a 4x4, depending on where you want to go and how adventurous  you want to be. It's all a great fun that you would miss out with the wrong vehicle.

IMG_20181020_151034.jpg

In line with Ivan. If you're going to BLM land at MOAB, Don't. If you're ok running on washboard roads and planning ahead for water delays then you're good. Mini's have stiff suspension and even washboard on dirt roads would rattle your teeth a bit. It's all a degree of your own willingness and comfort. FWD cars make decent rally cars but rally cars only last between 1 race and one season.

I pent 10 hours on a MOAB trail with my fully stock Suburban. Had an awesome time. But I knew what I was getting into and had a willingness to come away with a bump and a scrape if it happened.

Likely 99% of people would never do what I did. I lean towards: live a little. The steering wheel is round and can turn the car around. But don't do anything more than you're able to handle.

IMG_3616.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joe Lee said:

Thanks everyone!  Great insight. Anyone need a Mini?  Hahahah!

Got one, but it's still a tadpole (no baseplate).  How is towing a Mini with it's extremely low mounting pins?

- bob

About 2 months ago (or less) there was a story in the news of a couple who got stuck with their RV in Utah(?).  The left the RV and took off in their small toad and got stuck with that.  In the end the man died and the woman was rescued after a couple days.

I have a Jeep GC, it's not really set up for off roading but does do OK.  I am hesitant to go wandering too far off the beaten path.