what oil filter for 2004 8.3 ISC?

In my search, I found two topics on oil filters so I either don't know how to search or ??? First time I will be changing my own engine oil. The old part number for fleetguard seems to be LF9009. It appears they have come out with a new and improved, LF14009. Wondering what others are using?

The LF9009 is what I use on my ISC 8.3    Those filters hold about three quarts of oil. Be sure you fill up the filter before you screw it on the engine. You’ll need a large filter wrench.  It takes two men and a bay to break those filters loose. They need to be tight.
My engine takes 26 quarts total. Rotella T6 15w40.

2000 Monaco Dynasty 40’

Hmmm

I did a search for my original filter whichis a LF9009 and found this flyer.  https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/southeast-asia/literature-library/fleetguard-upgrade-lf9009-lf14009nn

So I guess they have come out with a new/improved oil filter.  It basically is selling in on fuel savings and filtration benefits.  Also says 1000 hour change interval.   Haven't compared prices yet. 

When I buy filters I usually buy several at time, looking for best unit price and shipping.  So I still have a couple. 

I guess if price is right I don't see why I wouldn't use it.

I'm still a newbie at oil changes.  The process was much easier than I worried over. 

I used this for an oil filter wrench - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DOKAW/  It let me use an extension to get below the engine and a breaker bar to turn it if needed.  I don't remember if the bar was 12" (standard) or longer.  I do remember it wasn't an issue removing the filter.  Didn't spill a drop. 

On my 2003 ISC 8.3 I replaced the Fleetguard LF9009 with a Donaldson P553000 (https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com).  Not sure why I picked the Donaldson over Fleetguard . . . . . Wix is a good filter brand also. 

I didn't fill the new filter to the top in case of spillage . . . maybe 3/4+.  Rotella T4 here.  Cummins reps at the annual Monaco gathering said synthetic didn't offer anything special over dino oil. 

This funnel made refilling EXTREMELY easy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0VTC8/  - from inside the coach through the floor hatch.  It screws into the threads in the valve cover.  Again, didn't spill a drop!

Have fun,

- bob

• Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis

I usually punch a hole in the oil filter and let it drain along with the crankcase oil.   Dropping or spilling that sucker is a recipe for disaster.   Oil spills are nasty and diesel   oil is super nasty.   I wear these disposable 9 ml nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight  

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-xx-large-50-pc-57159.html?_br_psugg_q=nitrile+gloves

9 mil Nitrile Powder-Free Gloves XX-Large, 50 Pc.

DIY strap wrench for filters.  Cobbled this together awhile back.  Used a piece of 3/4 square stock 24 inches long and a piece of nylon strap from an old ratcheting tie down.  Cut a slot in the end of the square tubing.  Rolled the ends of the strap together and melted them together.  Made certain the rolled up strap was large enough to remain in the tubing when stress was applied.  Slipped nylon strap into end of tubing. Voila, diy strap wrench. Works great.  Hope someone could use the info.  This strap wrench is long enough to easily access any of the filters that need changing.  The inside dimensions of the 3/4 tubing fit a 1/2 drive rachet. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, We2dynasty said:

DIY strap wrench for filters.  Cobbled this together awhile back.  Used a piece of 3/4 square stock 24 inches long and a piece of nylon strap from an old ratcheting tie down.  Cut a slot in the end of the square tubing.  Rolled the ends of the strap together and melted them together.  Made certain the rolled up strap was large enough to remain in the tubing when stress was applied.  Slipped nylon strap into end of tubing. Voila, diy strap wrench. Works great.  Hope someone could use the info.  This strap wrench is long enough to easily access any of the filters that need changing.  The inside dimensions of the 3/4 tubing fit a 1/2 drive rachet. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

I'll have to remember this,

I actually bought a heavy duty strap wrench at the Peterbilt shop a while back when I bought my dryer filter.  They said it was what they used in their shop.  Works great except it uses a thick strap making it hard to get up on the oil filter.  I still have to use a cheater bar on it sometimes. 

Guest Ray Davis

Ed, why didn't you show this about 5 yrs ago.   😄   That is very clever   👍

I have one that is a metal band, it is ok but slips some so I bought one like Jim's that works much better.   Plus it'll fit about anything, still needs an extension though.