Toll Road Transponders

A couple of years back I ordered an I-Pass Transponder to use when traveling with the RV towing our car.

I am now thinking about canceling that account and returning the transponder to get my deposit and account balance refunded.

Florida has a transponder called UNI which covers 19 states including ALL of Florida which the I-Pass does not. The I-Pass only covers a small portion of Florida.

It costs $14.95 from Amazon and has an 8-year battery life.

Has any member invested into the UNI Transponder and if so, do you have any comments, pro or con?

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

A couple of years back I ordered an I-Pass Transponder to use when traveling with the RV towing our car.

I am now thinking about canceling that account and returning the transponder to get my deposit and account balance refunded.

Florida has a transponder called UNI which covers 19 states including ALL of Florida which the I-Pass does not. The I-Pass only covers a small portion of Florida.

It costs $14.95 from Amazon and has an 8-year battery life.

Has any member invested into the UNI Transponder and if so, do you have any comments, pro or con?

We bought our UNI's 2 years ago, one for the MH , and another for the toad (came with a plastic/foil ziplok to keep it silent while towed behind the MH).  Has worked perfectly from FL to NY and everywhere in between.  And you get a discounted toll for using it instead of cash, plus you don't stop at the toll booths.

I don't know about the UNI, but I use the Florida "Sun-Pass Pro" transponder that has been release in the last year.  It works in all EZ-Pass states and a few more.  I just used it on a trip from Tampa to Oshkosh, WI and back, with no problems.  Including FL, IL, KY, WI, TN.  I also have used it from FL to Ohio.  Worked in FL, GA, NC, WV, OH.  It is $14.95 from the state of Florida.  You also get discounts on your fees.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

I haven't heard the UNI, does it have a monthly charge?  Are the states mostly east?  I thought we were getting one  good in the entire country.

The first toll road I remember around here was between Dallas & FtWorth.  They made a mistake by saying when it was paid for it would become a free hiway.  Boy did they cry when that time came but the toll boothes came down.

Toll booths, another dinosaur.  The only place I've run across them lately was in Okla and Houston

I don't care for toll rds but passes are the way to go.

19 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

My I-Pass from Illinois (no monthly fees) worked just fine last February all the way from NJ to Key West.

I just discovered that the I-Pass has added ALL toll-roads in Florida as of June 2021, not just the ones around Orlando as was the case back when I purchased the I-Pass in 2020.

I will stick with my I-Pass as it is replaceable when it fails without having to purchase another one like you do with the UNI.  

11 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I just discovered that the I-Pass has added ALL toll-roads in Florida as of June 2021, not just the ones around Orlando as was the case back when I purchased the I-Pass in 2020.

I will stick with my I-Pass as it is replaceable when it fails without having to purchase another one like you do with the UNI.  

Yep, I've had my Illinois I-Pass for years now.  Have two transponders and 4 vehicles registered on them so I can use any transponder on any vehicle.  When using the Coach towing the car, I just leave one transponder on the dash of the Coach and none in the car.  One time I forgot to move the transponder for the car to the coach and it registered the correct toll anyway.  If I recall correctly each transponder required a $10 deposit that is refundable when I returned the transponder.  But that was about ten years ago.  So rules might have changed.  Actually I'm surprised that both transponders are still working.

We use the NC Quick Pas E-Z Pass

Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York