Multiplex Switches

I am having trouble with one of my switch pads that controls 6 different functions. I have replaced the pad, the Cat5 cable and a splitter. I thought someone told me there’s a Guru in Ohio but can’t find his name. American Technologies is located in Elkhart so maybe he is there. Any help would be great.

TGibbens

’15 Dynasty 

On 5/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, thomasgibbens said:

I am having trouble with one of my switch pads that controls 6 different functions. I have replaced the pad, the Cat5 cable and a splitter. I thought someone told me there’s a Guru in Ohio but can’t find his name. American Technologies is located in Elkhart so maybe he is there. Any help would be great.

TGibbens

’15 Dynasty 

Thomas.

Here is how the ORIGINAL Multiplex System works.  Each Switchpad  has a discrete, programmable "chip".  The chip is programmed so that when you depress each button, you send a signal to the Main CPU (if you are familiar with CNC and Programmable Machine Tools....the Main CPU is a Programmable Logic Controller or PLC).  Therefore, you have to program each replacement switch to make it work.  M M Electronics in Ohio can take the old switch, usually, and program it.  There are several reasons that the switches go bad.  Mine had one button that had a "short" or a problem in the "tactile" side of it.  In other words, for some reason....unknown to all the experts, that one particular switch would "Turn ON" for no good reason.  I chased down RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from many sources....cell phone chargers, my smart phone, the TV's, the DVD players, etc.  Typically, a bad Fluorescent ballast will cause issues and set them off.  I worked with M M and they gave me trouble shooting advice to no avail.  I finally had two of our experts reprogram the switch and "reverse" the functions.  So, when the offending light was turned on....they reprogrammed it for another light.  They just reversed two keys.  That did NOT fix it.  However, the NEW source or light would then come on.  That told us there was a short or issue in the keypad.  The other guy had a spare one (used from eBay).  My keypad was a very SPECIAL one....it had a Hard Wired switch connection for the water pump.  SO....it had to specially programmed.   The individual programmed it for me.  BINGO....it works and has worked.  M M Electronics said...."EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE...." you get a really odd tactile (touch response that no one actually touches it, but the Switch THINKS someone had"....and that it was rare....but they had seen it.

Bottom line....Your Keypad was factory programmed.  If you want another Factory Programmed switch, then Monaco is the ONLY source.  Since it is newer, then Monaco should STILL have the program for your CPU and every swtichpad.  I have NO idea what they will want for it....but that is one way to get it.

Having said that....  I ASSUME that your system is an Intellitec system.  M M Electronics is the Factory Tech Support for the Intellitec products.  So they know their stuff.  They are also an authorized distributor.  You can tell if you have the Intellitec system.  Someone where in you motor home there will be a closet or a cabinet and there will be several Black Boxes with a whole lot of lights and fuses.  Those are the Output or the Slave switches from the Multiplex CPU.  There will typically be TWO kinds.  Once will say Relay Outpu Module and I can't recall what the other is.  

DO some digging.  Find them.  If they say intellitec, then call M M.  They will guide you through getting them the info and also probably have you mail in the old switch and they will try to retrieve the program.  IF they can't do it, they you are at the mercy of Monaco (REV) and they will need the VIN number to verify the switchpad program.  They SHOULD be able to supply one.

IF you have another brand (REV kept changing things), then again REV will have to help you.  If you find another name on the control boxes or modules....then you might contact the tech support for that system.  If IS possible to figure out HOW the switch works, without knowing the programming codes.  BUT, someone like M M Electronics will have to download the program and then look at the coding and typically can figure it out.  it just costs more.

Hope this helps....