Water feeding back to city water when pump is on

Whenever I have my water pump switch on it seems to feed back through the city water side ...
No matter where the valve is set (city/pump) . I have pulled the valve and it appears to be good, but maybe with water and pressure could it be bypassing ?
The pump will come on slightly acting like there is a slight leak but there is none, then it shuts down and will cycle again every 20 seconds .... I have the hose hooked up   to my faucet and you can tell there is pressure back feeding  in the hose due to a bad hose washer !
Has anybody had this problem ? 

Don't know if this relates to your problem since the resolution to ours was to tighten the pump. We were having the  frensh water tank fill even though the valve was set to city. Thinking it was the city/tank valve that had gone bad we were waiting to get home to do the repair. In talking to a camp neighbor and looking at our system we realized that housing plate covering the impeller was leaking. It was hard to see since it is mounted toward the center of the coach. We tightened the set of 5/6 screws and all is good.

It is most likely a bad check valve, and it would be so much better if you said what coach model and year you have.  I replace my check valve often, on our coach it is a cheap plastic valve.  I carry a half dozen with me at all times and am able to replace it in about 3 minutes without tools.  I would look there first.

12 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

It is most likely a bad check valve, and it would be so much better if you said what coach model and year you have.  I replace my check valve often, on our coach it is a cheap plastic valve.  I carry a half dozen with me at all times and am able to replace it in about 3 minutes without tools.  I would look there first.

2002 Monaco Windsor  ...  The valve I am referring to sounds like your valve ...But mine is mounted  behind a short panel in the sanitation service bay and everything has to come off of the panel to get to the valve ...then it takes a pair of channel locks to pull the valve and takes about 45 minutes to do .
The valve cost about 10 bucks, do you have any idea why yours goes out often ?
I have had the coach about 8 years and haven't had the problem before . 

1 hour ago, eddie4ne said:

Don't know if this relates to your problem since the resolution to ours was to tighten the pump. We were having the  frensh water tank fill even though the valve was set to city. Thinking it was the city/tank valve that had gone bad we were waiting to get home to do the repair. In talking to a camp neighbor and looking at our system we realized that housing plate covering the impeller was leaking. It was hard to see since it is mounted toward the center of the coach. We tightened the set of 5/6 screws and all is good.

Thanks for the advice ...
I have been in there to adjust the center screw you are talking about to adjust the pressure and the shut off point on the pump my pump has 5 screws, there is no leak there , but your problem sounds kinda like mine ...except when hooked up to city water and the valve set to the tank position it will back feed into the hose that is hooked up and pressurizes it.. and no matter where the valve is set it puts the pressure back into the hose .

I don't know why it happens so often and sporadically.  Sometimes I go for 7-8 months with no problem then I seem to replace it twice in another couple months.  On our coach it is a cheap plastic check valve in which the rubber O-ring that seals the valve gets jammed up or gets moved out of place.  On our coach you can crawl in the basement compartment just ahead of the plumbing bay, slide open the access panel and I can reach in and get to it.  It is located behind my water pump and beside my water hose reel, and it is connected with easy to turn without tools PEX fittings with wings.  The one sure sign that the valve has gone bad is when I disconnect the city water, water flows out of the end of my hose.  Also I have noticed it being bad when all of a sudden the water flow inside the coach seems low.  I can't get you a picture right now, sorry.

18 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

I don't know why it happens so often and sporadically.  Sometimes I go for 7-8 months with no problem then I seem to replace it twice in another couple months.  On our coach it is a cheap plastic check valve in which the rubber O-ring that seals the valve gets jammed up or gets moved out of place.  On our coach you can crawl in the basement compartment just ahead of the plumbing bay, slide open the access panel and I can reach in and get to it.  It is located behind my water pump and beside my water hose reel, and it is connected with easy to turn without tools PEX fittings with wings.  The one sure sign that the valve has gone bad is when I disconnect the city water, water flows out of the end of my hose.  Also I have noticed it being bad when all of a sudden the water flow inside the coach seems low.  I can't get you a picture right now, sorry.

Thanks for getting back ....that is exactly what mine does ...when I unhook the hose and power the pump ..turn the valve and it keeps pumping back through the hose... that valve was my suspect  so I pulled it and got a new one ..Hopefully I will get it back together today !??
do you have a city/tank valve in your sanitation bay too ?
Do you have to crawl in there to access

it to run city water ?

I have a city/tank valve mounted in my wet bay as well.  It is right on the face of the panel.  I replaced the original city/tank valve with a positive ball valve about 10 years ago.  I still don't think that valve is your problem.

1 hour ago, willbo777 said:

I have a city/tank valve mounted in my wet bay as well.  It is right on the face of the panel.  I replaced the original city/tank valve with a positive ball valve about 10 years ago.  I still don't think that valve is your problem.

The only two valves in the compartment where the pump is located are the hot water valve for draining the hot system ...and the other is going to the water pump itself ... then the manifold system mounted on the wall .. ...Those are the only ones in there .. then the one on the panel where you replaced yours ...?
I will be getting the new one in today ...and we will see ....I sure apprecaite all of your input ... ..I just don't understand how something works one minute and then not !!???? lol lol

There should be a check valve in the city water supply connection.  There should also be a check valve at the pedestal that would not only stop the backflow of water into the water supply but vent any water trying to move the wrong way.   If those check valve aren't there or aren't functioning and you are indeed pumping water back into the city water supply lines you are contaminating the water supply for the whole park or city.  This shouldn't be possible but if it is happening, you must not allow it to continue.  It's a public health hazard.

If you follow your city water hose from the reel if you have one to where the water pump tees off, it should be in the city water line before the water pump.  If there wasn't a check valve in there somewhere then every time you would turn on the water pump water would flow out the hose.  It has to somewhere, maybe integral to the city water hookup.  And as to Moonwink, I know many campgrounds ask for or provide a back flow preventer at the hookup, but personally I would love to see how a water pump in a coach would overwhelm city water pressure??

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moonwink said:

There should be a check valve in the city water supply connection.  There should also be a check valve at the pedestal that would not only stop the backflow of water into the water supply but vent any water trying to move the wrong way.   If those check valve aren't there or aren't functioning and you are indeed pumping water back into the city water supply lines you are contaminating the water supply for the whole park or city.  This shouldn't be possible but if it is happening, you must not allow it to continue.  It's a public health hazard.

I am hooked up in my drive way at this  time ..
and I am on my own well and the well pressure is greater than the pump in the coach so it isn't feeding back into my well !
The only way I knew it was have a back pressure problem was due to a bad washer on the hose connection to my outside faucet !

The fresh water plastic spring check valve that Monaco installed in the coaches are prone to fail and have been a problem for a long time, It is a piece of "CRAP.". 

The solution and the permanent fix is Simple. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase an "American Valve P/N Item #369235Model #G3112" half inch swing brass check valve". American valve is the  Manufacturer.

I replaced that plastic piece of junk in my Exec the second time it failed and never had a problem after with the brass valve.

I had the same situation on my 2003 dynasty . Mine was up behind the panel that just looked like to much trouble to remove and I didn't want to cut a access panel unless I had to.

So I came up with this a tee with a pressure regulator so I don't need the portable one any more and there is no flow restriction. and then a 1/4 turn ball valve I close when using the

water pump. While at it you can see I brought the hose connection with a quick connect over to line straight up with the access hole Monaco had installed so much easier.   

water supply.jpg

Count me in on the same problem. Turn on the pump and water comes out the city fill hose. My fix was to cut the pex and install a shark-bite inline pex check valve. Less than 10 minutes to fix mine. Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00506ET10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

Count me in on the same problem. Turn on the pump and water comes out the city fill hose. My fix was to cut the pex and install a shark-bite inline pex check valve. Less than 10 minutes to fix mine. Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00506ET10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reply ..... Where did you install the valve in your line ?

5 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

I had the same situation on my 2003 dynasty . Mine was up behind the panel that just looked like to much trouble to remove and I didn't want to cut a access panel unless I had to.

So I came up with this a tee with a pressure regulator so I don't need the portable one any more and there is no flow restriction. and then a 1/4 turn ball valve I close when using the

water pump. While at it you can see I brought the hose connection with a quick connect over to line straight up with the access hole Monaco had installed so much easier.   

water supply.jpg

That is another great idea ... 
Is the pressure regulator on the tee with the blue hose ?

I have an electric hose reel on my coach. I put the check valve on the pex pipe that exits the hose reel and enters the water tank. I have been messing with this for a couple of years and the final straw was the other day when I forgot about the water coming back out of the water hose and proceeded to dump 50 or so gallons into my wet compartments. I only caught it when a neighbor knocked on my door to tell me my compartment was flooding out the side of the coach. Ahhhh, crap... That was it, installed the check valve problem solved. 

I am sure that Monaco put one somewhere upstream but I didn't want to take half of the coach apart to find the failed valve. 

Yes that is the regulator on the tee. The blue pex is just a extension of the relief port  so if it ever blew open from to much pressure  the water would be outside on the ground.

just drilled a tight hole and let it extend about an inch like Monaco did on the other drains etc.  Got all the parts at lowes did this about 7 or 8 yrs ago. 

• 1 month later...

So I finally got back to working on mt water feedback issue !!
I did find the backflow valve after tearing the water fill compartment apart ..the back flow valve is the hose hook up where you fill the tank ...!
Looks like the inline filter on the hose passed a few pieces of charcoal that ended up in the spring of the valve and kept it open, for the money the quality of the  filters  should be better  !!! 
  .....Seems it is always something simple when it just happens ....??