Lambert battery maintainer

Marty K

On my 1997 Monaco Dynasty it appears the Lambert is not charging my chassis battery. Here are the situations. When taking a reading at the chassis terminal 14.3 volt with Generator running and not connected to chassis battery but when i connect the wire to chassis battery it only always shows 12.2volts. my chassis battery always charged with generator on and now only the alternator will charge it. House battery charges fine from both engine or generator. Do I need to replace the lambert or some other issue to sniff out?

Thank You

Marty K

Our Lambert was broke same way when we got our coach. It should divert some current to chassis when house batteries are somewhere over 13v, maybe 13.1 if I remember right. There is a number of options to work around it but I simply replaced it with Amp-L-Start, 15 amp, similar function. Others preferred and extra charger plugged into 120V outlet that is alive with generator or shore. As long as my solid state isolator is functional, that's how mine is going to be.

I started to doubt my Lambert was working correctly so I decided to eliminate it and the BIRD, and the Isolation Relay and install a Bluesea MLACR.  It basically combines both battery banks whenever it sees a charge from any source (shore power/generator, alternator).  I can isolate either with the switch and I can also use the switch to boost the chassis battery. 

Blue Sea ML-ARC.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the green light is on and checking the trouble chart procedure all seems correct but as soon as I connect to the chassis battery it goes to 12 volt. Am I perhaps missing something converter/inverter connection as in the past my chassis battery would always charge from generator but does not now.

Mine was acting erratically last year.  In the past I never heard the Lambert clicking but last year I started hearing click faster and then slower and the chassis battery never did get up to full charge.   Never had a problem with chassis battery starting but was concerned.  

Only thing you might check is the connections.  I just went through cleaning up my battery trays & batteries.  I found a wire on the negative (-) post of the house batteries, it did not show on my wiring diagrams.  I used a tone tracer to find out where the wire went and it was the center connection on the Lambert I removed.  If this connection isn't tight it might not allow for proper charging.