Stale diesel fuel and old tires - how to recover from long term storage

Our family coach has sat in storage since last year and I am concerned the fuel is stale.  If we start the engine all kinds of things could happen.  Any war stories?

Also the tires are dated 2012, would you drive them to the dealer to get replaced or have them come out?  They have spent a good portion of their life indoors.

I've had my coach in storage for as long as two years without driving it or even starting it for that matter.  I never had an issue with stale fuel.  As for the tires depending on how far the dealer is and whether the tires show any serious cracking I'd drive to them, just make sure they are properly inflated and don't drive like an Indy racer. 

• Like 1

Fuel should be okay,if you have been adding conditioner,everyone will chime in with their favorite brands you will not have any issues, stop at a fuel  station and add conditioner and fuel it up.I will not comment on the tires ,I am not there, whole bunch of factors come onto play.

Wayne 

1999 signature ceaser 

My tires were older then that when I drove them to be changed.  They had always had a TPMS on when the coach was moved so I knew they were never run low of psi.  No significant weather checking/cracking.  But I will say that I had some anxiety.  Fastest route for me would have been to jump on the interstate but I took the back roads to get to the shop.   I inspected each tire as they were pulled off.  They were in excellent condition inside and out with lots of tread left.  I have no doubt the tire vendor sold them to someone (he wouldn't give me any credit).

My rig was parked for +4 years with minimal use while I built my house.  I parked it with a full tank of fuel with both Biobor and Startron in the tank.  I thought we might use in 2020 so I started siphoning fuel out to use in my tractor and eventually drove to fill it up with 85 gallons of new fuel.  No issues what's so ever. 

I always park my rig with a full tank.  If it's going to sit for a while I use Biobor and Starton and have never had a problem.  As an added precaution I do carry spare filters and the tools to change them.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

Is it too late to add these magic potions?  I did not have the intension of parking so long and have added conditioners.

If you have not use them I'd wait until you fill up.  But beware that if you have any type of algae problem you may start plugging filters so I'd make sure to carry spares. 

The Biobor kills the Algae.   The Startron is an Enzyme that is suppose to break the dead algae down so that it will actually be able to burn it. 

Back in ~2009, not long after I bought my coach and after ~15K miles I changed filters.  The top of the primary filter was almost completely plugged with black slime (Algae).  That's when I started using the two additives and haven't had another problem.

• Like 2

The tires were dated 2010 when I bought this Camelot last year. It had been sitting for 8 years. They looked new. I was scared of them so I had the tire shop come out and do it here. That was the big selling point of motorhometires.com anyway, they do it on your site.

It was full of fuel. I stuck a long straw in the tank and drew out some fuel, it looked and smelled ok. I changed both fuel filters and drove it. Had local truck shop change oil and filter, trans fluid, and they had to put a new ac compressor on. 

Filled it to the top again and drove it to Florida, 1200 miles, then to Sarasota and back from my lot in Florida, 180 miles, then another 1200 miles home. Had no bad fuel problems. On the way down I had a no start and immediately changed both filters again but they looked fine. No start ended up being due to a loose electrical connection to the lift pump.

My coach was not used for 4 years.  I was concerned about the fuel in the tank.  I used Biobor and changed all the filters.  Never had any problems but just in case I always carry replacement filters.

In my 10 years experience  with large diesel engines; make sure your oil level and coolant and filters are fine and keep the fuel tank always filled to prevent condensation.

The tires on the coach were past due but they were brand new with only 1k miles on them.  No cracks or wear.  I made sure that the inflation was correct and I also have TYRON bands.  I am looking right now for a TPMS system for all the tires.

One other thing is i would start the genny, do not put any load on it for at least 20 minute, then introduce some loads little bit at a time till full load, let run for 10 or i5 min, eliminate the load, 5 min idel. Shut down an have the oil & filter and the fuel filter changed.

Ditto all the comments.  I would do a “Normal Maintenance” add, if you have not been doing fuel conditioning, of BioBor and a 2X add of the StarTron Diesel Fuel conditioner.  Amazon is my supplier of such.  I carry a set of spare fuel filters and a strap wrench.  You, most likely, don’t have a coolant filter.  I’d let it run at idle and let it warm up.  

DO NOT START the Genny.  The fuel filter is much smaller and prone to plug up more quickly.  Get the fuel mixed and drive at least 50 - 75 miles….then manually prime it for 5 or so cycles and start it.  Assume you are planning on a major maintenance of chassis lube, oil, fuel and air on the engine.  Also need to service hydraulic system and filter(s).  Air dryer is a must. Include with engine service.  

When you start in storage, let it idle for maybe 15 minutes and shutdown.  DRAIN THE AIR SYSTEM.  Check TIRE PRESSURE.  Also assumed you checked various fluid levels PRIOR to starting.

Final items are Coolant; Wheel bearings and rear drive axle service.  Miles as well as age are variables so be prepared.  

Allison needs the flush and filter change, just based on recommended time service intervals.

Other items are running AquaHot.  I would not even run it, other than to check for water heating from the engine.  The burner orifice will plug up after 2 years of non use.  I KNOW!  Have it serviced.

Run the Genny and use the HEAT PUMP mode.  Let it run for maybe half hour and cycle on and off a few times.  Then change modes and then use the AIR CONDITIONING.  Again, on for half an hour or so.  This exercises the reversing valve and also the compressor.

There is a topic on Fresh Water Tank sanitizing.  Read it and do so on yours.

FINALLY….TIRES.

Obviously check before driving and use a portable compressor or the onboard one.  I let my Camelot sit for maybe 18 months.  It was in a carport type storage and it had next door neighbors, so there was minimal direct UV on the tires. My steers were 2018 Toyo.  Rears were 2012 Bridgestone.  I put over 3000 miles, total, on them in the 2020 & 2021 seasons….but NOT THIS YEAR.  New TOYO on rear in spring.  If they are Michelin’s, inspect carefully.  The seem to check or crack, or have in the past.  Otherwise, if you don’t see any superficial issues, drive it and get tires but avoid interstate and keep down your speed.

Good Luck

THEN….

Tires are a judgment 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions and "hints and kinks".  We may have a broker coming to look at her so wanted to be prepared for anything.

This coach is a beauty, and we will miss her - but times will be getting tough.