Spare Tire?

Dwight

Do you carry a spare tire?  During the last trip when I had a blow-out (smaller truck, not MH) I would have been stranded for a long time if I did not have a spare tire.  I have a mounted spare tire but not sure the best way to carry.  I'd rather not take basement space for the spare--Ideas?  Thank you!

We carry a spare using a Roadmaster spare tire carrier.  Obviously if we have a blowout we can't change it ourselves but at least we won't be waiting on the side of the road so long while roadside assistance locates a tire and charges us a small fortune.

'06 Diplomat  Patricia Neuzil

DSCN7288.JPG

• Like 1

We carry a spare but I welded up my own receiver mounted carrier.  I looked at the roadmaster but it wouldn't work with our clearances, so made my own.  It hinges side to side and locks upright like the roadmaster. It cost more to powder coat than to buy the steel.  I carry it under the theory that a part I carry I'll never need, but if I do, I won't be waiting side the road for days finding an off brand tire I would not normally purchase.  All my tires are 295s.

Edited by amphi_sc
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, sheena154 said:

We carry a spare using a Roadmaster spare tire carrier.  Obviously if we have a blowout we can't change it ourselves but at least we won't be waiting on the side of the road so long while roadside assistance locates a tire and charges us a small fortune.

'06 Diplomat  Patricia Neuzil

DSCN7288.JPG

I am surprised your coolant temps did not rise due to the blockage of the rear radiator.

Chuck, we were a little worried about that as well but were told that Roadmaster had talked to Cummins and was told the clearance should be fine.  The carrier is about a foot from the radiator grill and my husband says he hasn't noticed any change in the temp from before.

Patricia Neuzil

• Like 1