My Aqua Hot boiler tank sprung a leak

96 EVO
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

Got some time in the shop today and got the burner rebuilt with the new housing,bearings and nozzle. Hopefully the new tank arrives this coming week. Thanks to Mike (zmotorsports) for sharing his rebuild video which gave me some added detail insight to the rebuild process

IMG_1032.jpeg

• Like 3

I had the same problem with my tank in 2016.  The coolant was getting in the hot water and if the water pump was running it would push water into the tank and out the overflow tank.   I pulled the tank and cut it open.   I found that the two coils, engine antifreeze 3/4" and house hot water 1/2", rubbed against each other till the house wore thru.   Long story short I took it to a weld shop in the area and had them put a coupling on the line and weld close and pressure test.   The cost was $210.00 out the door.   They said they fix carpet steam machines quite often that the people never seem to think about winterization.   I called the aqua Hot reps that came to the 419 rally in Indiana and the Rep in Colorado along with the factory to find out what is in the tank and all I got was that it was proprietary information.   Well after I spoke with the fellow in Colorado and told him I have it cut open the price to repair the open tank and return dropped in half.   My system is still running today.  It is just a tank with two coper coils inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Dr4Film said:

Unless you intend on removing the Aqua-Hot unit to rebuild it yourself which will save you tons of money, my suggestion would be to scrap the POS and install an Espar Mobile Comfort Model 16 unit which is more powerful than any of the Aqua-Hot units. The overall size is smaller, 5-gallon boiler tank, easier to service yourself and has hot water on demand. There are many more advantages to the Espar unit versus being stuck with another failure prone Aqua-Hot unit.

Here is the link to where my friend had his installed.

Rixen’s Enterprises, Inc. | MCS16 Furnace System Complete (rixens.com)

Wow that's a nice looking unit. I don't know what their production rate can handle but  with Aqua Hot now using China copy's of the Webasto burner that might give leaky Hot a run for their money.