My Aqua Hot boiler tank sprung a leak

96 EVO
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

12 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Did your Executive come with the 600 series AH?

If so, there's a big difference in the heat output of a 600 and a 450 series unit.

My unit is a 100 series and I have never had the need for maximum heat output. If I did then I’m in the wrong zip code 😳

• Like 1

Richard,

Upon hearing your story I certainly understand why you feel the way you do. I would be in the same mindset. 
  What do you know about that Rixens unit?  Would be good for us all to know about it’s quality and reliability just in case we need to consider it in the future

As always, thanks for you input here!

Gene Howe, a member here, has owned two of them. The first one was installed in his 2003 Diplomat. The second one is installed in his current 2002 HR Imperial.

Gene does not post much at all. He reads a lot but seldom posts.

If anyone is interested, I would suggest contacting him directly through private message. He is located on the Puget Sound south of Seattle.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, Paul Busch said:

Mine is leaking when around the pressure cap when it comes up to temperature. It doesn’t smoke or is in the combustion chamber but runs over the top and down through the the air intake. The expansion tank haven’t moved in a year and I have to add about a gallon of boiler fluid every several weeks. My weekend project is to de-solder the boiler cap and install a no-solder neck from Rodger Berk in Florida. 250 but cheaper than pulling the boiler out to work on it. 

Did your boiler freeze or did you see boiler fluid in the combustion chamber?

If it is only leaking when coming up to temperature I would test the pressure  cap to make sure it is working then check the tank pressure. If your reservoir tank is not fluctuating during operation then it could be the same issues I have.

I suspect that if your level in your overflow tank has not moved in over a year that your tube from the unit to the tank is cracked. That is the same issue that I had with mine. My overflow tank was located in the fuel tank bay about 15' from the aquahot itself, I relocated the tank to the bay next to the aquahot and ran a new tube from the unit to the tank. I have also had to repair my filler/radiator cap neck where it had worn thin and came off when I tried to remove the cap. That was a fun repair!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, Chargerman said:

My unit is a 100 series and I have never had the need for maximum heat output. If I did then I’m in the wrong zip code 😳

Your 100 series appears to be the equivalent to the new model 600 series as far as boiler tank capacity. I don't know if it came with the pair of 2000w electric elements.  

11 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Your 100 series appears to be the equivalent to the new model 600 series as far as boiler tank capacity. I don't know if it came with the pair of 2000w electric elements.  

My unit only has one electric element so I end up running with the burner most times

Big difference in the operation and consumption of an Aqua-Hot that has a small boiler tank which only holds 5 gallons versus those that have 15-16 gallons.

I believe the 400 series units all have the smaller tanks.

Plus, if people would read their manuals, it states right up front in the operational manuals that it's best to have the Diesel switch on ALL the time as that is the PRIMARY heat source of the Aqua-Hot and the Electric Assist switch can be left on also as that is the secondary heat source. However, if you have one of the 600 series units that have two electric elements than depending on your location and demand you may not need the diesel at all.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Big difference in the operation and consumption of an Aqua-Hot that has a small boiler tank which only holds 5 gallons versus those that have 15-16 gallons.

I believe the 400 series units all have the smaller tanks.

Yeah the small tank models need to cycle frequently. I'm guessing the large tank models cycle less frequently, but, burn longer when they do.

They both use the same Webasto burner.

Well, I'm going to declare adding a bottle of Irontite to the boiler tank a success!

Worked immediately, and I've now ran the unit on diesel for 10 days, 3-4 hrs per day, and the leak has not returned.

As long as you add the proper amount of this sealer for the size of your system, no issues with zone pumps, or plugging heat exchangers!

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

As long as you add the proper amount of this sealer for the size of your system, no issues with zone pumps, or plugging heat exchangers!

That's great news.  I'll try to remember it.  How much did you add?  Do you leave it in?

Edited by Ray Davis

Yeah, you have to leave it in Ray.

I used one bottle, which is good for 6 gallons. My 450D unit has a 5 gallon tank, and approx another 3 gallons in lines and heat exchangers, so I could have added another 3rd of a bottle, but don't need it.

Ben,

Glad to hear that the Irontite worked in your Aqua-Hot. I swear by that stuff as it plugged a hole in the bottom of my 02 Windsor radiator enough for me to drive about 5000 additional miles without losing another drop. I also used it to stop the new radiator from seeping at the top after it had been installed for 3 years.

I've been doing some RnR on my 06 Dynasty Aqua-Hot this winter. My first observation was that the surge tank was not moving. I drained the boiler fluid in the surge tank, then checked the actual level at the tank, it was low. I topped off the boiler tank and installed the cap. Started the Aqua-Hot up and the fluid soon started dripping out of the cap. Purchased a new cap and tried it again. Once the fluid started to heat up, I then noticed a tiny stream coming from the back of the filler neck. Quickly turned off the Aqua-Hot and thought about what to do next.

I have now purchased a small package of JB Water Weld. When I have time, I will clean up the entire back area of the filler neck, then apply a generous amount of this Water Weld to the filler neck. Let it set for a day, then try the Aqua-Hot one more time. If I still have a leak at the filler neck, my next step will be the Irontite.

Obviously, the previous owner never did anything to repair the obvious hole nor did my useless "certified" inspector know enough about Aqua-Hots to recognize that there was a problem.

We used the Aqua-Hot all last summer but with the level being somewhat low in the boiler tank due to the hole in the filler neck it never got low enough for the Low-Level alarm to trip. It was only down about 2 quarts. Plus, I did observe that the Surge tank was not changing in level during that time, but I attributed it to possibly a cracked hose, not an actual hole.

I won't be surprised if it seals a small filler neck leak!

I had read enough horror stories of these AH filler necks I never removed my cap for the first 8yrs. Level in the overflow tank raised and lowered as it should, so I had no need to. Until now!

Was quite pleased to find the old cap came off with ease, was in good condition, and neck feels firm!

I replaced the cap with a new 7psi cap when I installed the Irontite.

Good luck! Stuff has saved you once, hopefully it will again!

• 7 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 8:46 AM, 96 EVO said:

Well, I'm going to declare adding a bottle of Irontite to the boiler tank a success!

Worked immediately, and I've now ran the unit on diesel for 10 days, 3-4 hrs per day, and the leak has not returned.

Well, 8 month review.........

Still hasn't leaked a drop since adding a bottle of Irontite !

Great news!

I purchased the JB Water Weld but have not used it as the area of the filler neck is so small and also hard to get to.

I am going to abandon that idea and go with Irontite.

When I used it for the radiator leak I used 2 bottles based on the capacity of the coolant system in the Windsor which is about 12 gallons.

The Aqua-Hot has a 15 gallon tank. Do you think only one bottle will be enough? I would hate to use too much. The engine system had a coolant filter which caught any unused Irontite but the Aqua-Hot does not.

I guess I could try one bottle and if needed add a second one later.

I've been running the Aqua-Hot with about one gallon of boiler fluid removed. When I get back to our winter home in Florida this will be at the top of my list to get done.

Thanks for the post.

45 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, 8 month review.........

Still hasn't leaked a drop since adding a bottle of Irontite !

I just reread the entire thread and now realize that your Aqua-Hot is smaller in size than my 100-04 which has the 15 gallon tank.

I will purchase two bottles for my pin hole leak.

Thanks.

Edited by Dr4Film

14 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Thought you had the 450D now, same as myself?

I put one bottle in, and it worked immediately. The 450D has a 5gal tank and about another 3 in lines and heat ex-changer's.

Nope, luckily the 06 Dynasty still had the full size Aqua-Hot with a 15 gallon boiler fluid capacity.

I just ordered two bottles from the local NAPA store for $18 each with free shipping.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just recently found that my domestic loop inside the tank started leaking. Pressure tested it to confirm. So out came the unit and ordered a new tank and also a new casting for the burner as one of my clamp flanges was also compromised. 
  Since this picture I have disassembled the unit and removed the tank and it’s currently on a skid ready to swap when the carrier delivers the new one.

I looked at the exploded drawing of the burner and the replacement of the housing looks pretty straightforward but if anyone has done this job and has any insight of things that need particular attention please let me know.

Thank you!

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

Yeah, I read early on, before I first tackled my first service, that those aluminum loops could easily be broken .

I use a 1/4" drive ratchet, with just a little wrist strength over the center of it. To this day, every time I'm tightening those nuts, I'm holding my breath!

Sorry, can't be of any real help to you!

Edited by 96 EVO