Tow Costs after an accident? $35,000!

Quick Update on my $35,000 tow. I asked my State Senator for help. Now, the State Highway Patrol is investigating as well as Progressive Ins Legal Team. 

Will update the group when I hear more. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I wish when stories like these are written the companies involved were named so we can avoid those that appear to overcharge.   If the facts presented are correct (and I’m not saying they aren’t) the writer isn’t slandering the company.   At least put a google review explaining the experience up so if we need a tow, we can be forewarned of what to expect.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Nothing to sort out.  If that is the going rate, either pay it or sit on the side and let the law enforcement handle it.  Might cost you more.  Huge tow trunks cost a lot of money for the owner to own and operate properly plus the liability insurance they carry.   If cannot run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Thats no different than extortion. An emergency situation componded by the need to have removed immediately. In Missouri our Procecuting Attorney goes after companies like this. Basically Price gouging. I dont have tow trucks but do have heavy equiptment and have cleaned up truck accidents and our rate is the same daily rate as in our construction business plus overtime if that applies.  Its unfortunate that they charge what seem is an huge about base on Authors information. I would consider a call to the state Attorney if I was in this situation. 

• Like 2

Another update:  My insurance company and the tow company settled for $20,000. That makes me think that the work really didn’t warrant the $35,000 noted on the initial invoice. Also, I contacted an NC State Senator. Her office put me in contact with Captain over Field Operations/Tow Rotation Services. The Captain did an investigation, but initially said the tow bill sounded ‘outrageous’. A week later, he called me back. Basically, he said that even through I wasn’t allowed to use my tow insurance and the NC State Highway Patrol required me to use his tow company assigned by a rotation process, the State doesn’t control the pricing and there was nothing he could do. In the Highway Patrol’s defense, the Trooper believed his service could clear the road faster. I can’t say he was accurate, but the Trooper needed to clear the road and did what he thought was best.

Bottom Line: I lost my coach over this process. The tow company held my coach hostage while the lawyers negotiated my coach’s release. I couldn’t find a company to go to this tow company to get me an estimate for repairs. So, I decided it was too much risk and expense to keep it and have it towed again. 

All this said - My coach could still be driven!  I lost much of the fiberglass on the front, but there was no damage to the ‘drivability’ of the coach. I did move it about 15 feet after the impact. But, the Trooper had all the control and I was at his mercy. 

The good news is that now I’m in a 2002 Monaco Windsor and I’m really happy with it!

Next step is I’m going to go to the Attorney General as recommended by Brian Browne. But, overall, I don’t believe anyone at the State level cares. Well, maybe they care, but I will be shocked if anyone takes action. 

Be safe out there!

Joe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Joe Lee said:

Another update:  My insurance company and the tow company settled for $20,000. That makes me think that the work really didn’t warrant the $35,000 noted on the initial invoice. Also, I contacted an NC State Senator. Her office put me in contact with Captain over Field Operations/Tow Rotation Services. The Captain did an investigation, but initially said the tow bill sounded ‘outrageous’. A week later, he called me back. Basically, he said that even through I wasn’t allowed to use my tow insurance and the NC State Highway Patrol required me to use his tow company assigned by a rotation process, the State doesn’t control the pricing and there was nothing he could do. In the Highway Patrol’s defense, the Trooper believed his service could clear the road faster. I can’t say he was accurate, but the Trooper needed to clear the road and did what he thought was best.

Bottom Line: I lost my coach over this process. The tow company held my coach hostage while the lawyers negotiated my coach’s release. I couldn’t find a company to go to this tow company to get me an estimate for repairs. So, I decided it was too much risk and expense to keep it and have it towed again. 

All this said - My coach could still be driven!  I lost much of the fiberglass on the front, but there was no damage to the ‘drivability’ of the coach. I did move it about 15 feet after the impact. But, the Trooper had all the control and I was at his mercy. 

The good news is that now I’m in a 2002 Monaco Windsor and I’m really happy with it!

Next step is I’m going to go to the Attorney General as recommended by Brian Browne. But, overall, I don’t believe anyone at the State level cares. Well, maybe they care, but I will be shocked if anyone takes action. 

Be safe out there!

Joe

Probably goes on all the time and they are immune to it? If does go on a lot they should investigate it. Welcome to the Windsor club of owners on here. I forgot what you had without looking back in the thread. Good luck with your Windsor.

1 hour ago, Joe Lee said:

My insurance company and the tow company settled for $20,000.

@Joe Lee so what did the insurance company end up paying you?  Was it the total amount the Actual Cash Value of your policy?  Did they deduct the towing cost from that?  Or was it the other vehicle's insurance that paid for your loss?  Just wondering how the insurance company determined the value of your loss?

• Like 1

So, this was a HUGE learning event for me. I didn’t have Actual Cash Value. I do now!  My old Rig was a ‘96 Crown Royale Signature. It had all kinds of issues. So, hoping that the time in my Windsor will be a bit easier!  Today, I discovered that my Auto Transfer Switch was recalled by the NHTSA years ago.  Guess it’s always something!  And, I learned about it from reading on this Forum! So, my thanks to everyone!

As for the insurance settlement, I was with and I’m still with Progressive. My adjuster, Luke from SC, was outstanding!  My main problem was at the time of my policy being written.  I didn’t know about or get Actual Cash Value.  My Progressive Adjuster schooled me on that.  Bottom Line, I lost all the value of the many improvements that I did to my Rig.  Probably about $20,000.  The good news is no one was hurt. 

Bill - your question about the tow charges and my settlement:  I got the full amount that the policy was written for.  The tow expenses were not deducted from the value of my Rig as written in the policy. 

The accident was my fault, so Progressive paid all the expenses.  I can’t believe I let this happen.  Traffic slowed and a box truck was in front of me, so I didn’t have any view but the back of that truck.  I lost my braking distance when traffic slowed, Then, the box truck slammed on it’s brakes.  I had a bit of time before impact, but I knew I was going to hit the truck.  There was no where to go, since a construction wall was blocking the emergency lane on the interstate I was on.   I should have come to a complete stop and recovered my braking distance after the initial slow down.  It will not happen again!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis

When I had a total loss yrs ago,  my policy was an agreed-upon value.  The value was what I paid for it.  If I knew that I didn't remember it but I was more than pleased.    I'm not sure they sell insurance like that anymore.  We are with State Farm, and have been for a long, long time.  I'm sure I pay too much but after 25 yrs they can't fire me and I'm getting past my prime, so they say.  LOL   Plus I'm ahead of them so hopefully, they will catch up,  as in no claims.   I know of people who try to claim everything but when it's all said & done honesty is the best policy.  Our premiums are helping pay for the cheaters.

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

When I had a total loss yrs ago,  my policy was an agreed-upon value.  The value was what I paid for it.  If I knew that I didn't remember it but I was more than pleased.    I'm not sure they sell insurance like that anymore.  We are with State Farm, and have been for a long, long time.  I'm sure I pay too much but after 25 yrs they can't fire me and I'm getting past my prime, so they say.  LOL   Plus I'm ahead of them so hopefully, they will catch up,  as in no claims.   I know of people who try to claim everything but when it's all said & done honesty is the best policy.  Our premiums are helping pay for the cheaters.

My insurance is for the amount I asked for. You pay a little more for the premium, but you know you are covered for the true value of the coach.  I've been slowly reducing the value over the years.  We have Farmers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

When I bought my 05 Ambassador in 05, I got the insurance (Progressive) that would pay what the buying price was. After about 12 years, the premium was close to $2000 a year. I now have a stated value policy for much less value (market) and much less premiums.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Like 1