ISL 400 Secondary fuel filter remote mount kit to move the filter from engine to hatch area?

6 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Some of the filter mfrs. have kits to remote mount a filter. But in this case you probably need to build the kit. You may need longer hoses and some angle fittings to get the lines to the hatch.  On our 08 both fuel filters are mounted in the hatch. No need to get underneath. Just reach in and your done.

Do you have access to the Cummins Quickserve site, if so maybe you can get the info on your engine. 

16 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Richard,

The Fass system I installed has two filters, the PF3001 which is 144 micron but the XWS-3002 is a 2 micron filter.  So the filtering capability is better then what originally came on my rig and the benefit of positive pressure all the way back to the engine was the reason I chose to install one. 

I did leave the secondary filter base in place and use the original Fleetguard, I had extra filters on hand and figured just added precaution.  Plus I added my pressure sensor here which tell me what pressure the CAPS pump is seeing.   All the problems that I had been seeing with the ISC CAPS pumps pushed me to do the install.  Time will tell if I did the right thing. 

Jim, thanks for the explanation.

The reason this thread was important to me is because the secondary filter on the ISL-400 that I now have in my Dynasty is basically way TOO difficult to reach by any normal human without getting drenched in diesel fuel and also not being able to see what you are doing. I haven't changed the filters yet, but they will be due later this spring. I am NOT going to do it myself and will gladly pay a service shop to do my engine service this year.

If by installing the two filter FASS Fuel Polishing System will totally eliminate the unreachable secondary filter, then that would accomplish my goal. The primary is VERY accessible so that could stay possibly.

I am more interested in eliminating the secondary fuel filter.

You might check the Quickserve site and see if they list the remote mount option for your rig.  I assume you have some sort of transfer pump so it will depend on the plumbing to it and whether the fuel is used to help cool the ECM, no idea on your rig but just something to check.

I left the original left pump in place and just capped the suction and pressure ports and used a union to put the fuel lines together.  I left the return line in place as that is used by the CAPS pump to send fuel back to tank. 

Good LUCK

Edited by jacwjames

On 1/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, Dr4Film said:

I am more interested in eliminating the secondary fuel filter.

I would be afraid of contaminants introduced into the line from the conversion process. 

The secondary filter is the last line of defense for the fuel pump.  Like jacwjames I left mine in place so that anything that might have gotten into the line would be caught by that last filter.  With all the filtration pre-secondary from the FASS filters the secondary is a filter that will never need to be changed (or have a very very long life). 

- bob

You should be able to remote mount and move the secondary filter if that is all you are trying to accomplish, would just have to mount the filter where it is conveinant for you and then have the correct hoses made to run from your transfer pump to the new filter location and then a hose from the filter to the injection pump. 

Guest rdetter5009

image.thumb.png.056dd083ce90aa14693e6dceebf0f46c.pngHI every one, I had the same problem with the secondary fuel filter on the side of the engine, hard to get too. A Cummins Filtration guy gave me the part number of a remote filter head and told me to put on 5 micron filters at both places, primary & secondary, ( primary is FS1000 ), just change primary filter more often,  and secondary filter at 40 to 50,000 miles. I change primary filter every year or 10,000 miles. I junked out the original pump and filter in '09 when I bought the coach, it was leaking. I have 3 other Cummins in Case dozer, Case backhole, and Case excavator, I treat all the same.                                                                                                                        P.S. I'm thinking about getting another filter head, plugging the inlet and outlet holes, filling the filter, putting it together enough so it won't leak, that way I will not have as much of the mess on the road if I need to change filers 

Bob Etter    2004 Holiday Rambler Navigator'              2003 Ford Expedition tode

17 minutes ago, rdetter5009 said:

A Cummins Filtration guy gave me the part number of a remote filter head and told me to put on 5 micron filters at both places, primary & secondary, ( primary is FS1000 ), just change primary filter more often,  and secondary filter at 40 to 50,000 miles. 

Interesting!

I think I'll stick with my 10 micron water separator, and 5 micron fuel filter. This way, both filters are doing some work.