ISL 400 Secondary fuel filter remote mount kit to move the filter from engine to hatch area?

I have been searching for a relocation kit for the secondary fuel filter that is mounted direct on the engine.    My ISC has them both in the rear hatch. The secondary would be a bugger to change out on the road.  I suppose annual change is fine and I do all my own fluids but it sure is a pain.  Just wondering if there is a kit to move it to a better spot.  I have been searching but not finding a solution yet.  2006 Dynasty ISL 400.

Edited by rustykramermetalfab
more info added.

I would also be interested if anyone finds a way to accomplish this task.

After having an ISC-350 for 18+ years in my previous Windsor with both filters starring you in the face, I had to look all over for the secondary filter on my 06 Dynasty ISL-400.

Frank McElroy had to give me it's location which I still have not put my eyes on it as yet. Every time I need to crawl under the coach my body says, "why are you trying to do that"?

What a royal PITA!

I asked this question when I first got my Dynasty a year ago after I changed that filter on the engine. It is in a terrible location. Laying on your back you can only reach it with one arm no room for your second hand and just barely enough room to get a strap on it to loosen it. When you spin it off it is not a straight shot down you have to turn it sideways to manipulate it out so fuel spills all over you and you can’t prefill the new one for the same reason. I am getting ready to change it again so I bought a disposable bio hazard suit and long rubber gloves to try and stay dry this time. Also the little rubber o ring that goes on first was a loose fit and would drop off before I could get the filter up there a real PIA with one hand. So I am more than interested in finding a way to relocate it to the back or anywhere else for that matter.

40 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

I asked this question when I first got my Dynasty a year ago after I changed that filter on the engine. It is in a terrible location. Laying on your back you can only reach it with one arm no room for your second hand and just barely enough room to get a strap on it to loosen it. When you spin it off it is not a straight shot down you have to turn it sideways to manipulate it out so fuel spills all over you and you can’t prefill the new one for the same reason. I am getting ready to change it again so I bought a disposable bio hazard suit and long rubber gloves to try and stay dry this time. Also the little rubber o ring that goes on first was a loose fit and would drop off before I could get the filter up there a real PIA with one hand. So I am more than interested in finding a way to relocate it to the back or anywhere else for that matter.

Yep exactly.  Why in the heck did Cummins do this. I put just a touch of light grease on the o-ring to hopefully hold it in place while blindly trying to find the threaded fitting.  

Straight up above the starter.  Good idea to wrap the terminals on starter with rubber electrical tape.  After about the third time changing it gets pretty easy, still a stretch, but you know what's going on by feel...EYE PROTECTION!!!

I have a 2005 Diplomat.  This post completely lost me. I have two fuel filters in the compartment where the air brake filter is. Is there another fuel filter lurking  behind and above the starter? 

18 minutes ago, Rick A said:

I have a 2005 Diplomat.  This post completely lost me. I have two fuel filters in the compartment where the air brake filter is. Is there another fuel filter lurking  behind and above the starter? 

Probably not, but would certainly be worth having a look up there!

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

How did you eliminate both stock filters? What was the process?

The FASS system comes with two filters one for water and one for trash the system constantly cleaning fuel and returning unused fuel back to tank . See picture the braided stainless hose is the supply to high pressure pump . Totally eliminating factory filters and leaking lift pump . FASS kit cost $650 and about 2 or 3 hours to install major engine improvement.

2E6B84A6-0D34-49E7-B3A9-7EB2E3BFA4BD.jpeg

3B81CC2C-5D14-47AC-8F6E-B5640D4C305E.jpeg

22E4E635-1910-4AFD-B5F4-746575F0A321.jpeg

AD785EAE-B415-4515-B0CA-770F5ABB7CB7.jpeg

EB675051-42F5-44C9-9D68-BEB556EDF6E7.jpeg

D512CB63-25E6-431C-A253-66102B9066A4.jpeg

I checked the Cummins Quickserve site for my engine and it shows the remote mounted fuel filter base and required hoses, this is for a 8.3 ISC. 

Not sure if the Quickserve site might show the different options for fuel filter mounting for an ISL but if someone does have and ISL with the remote mounted filters they should be able to provide the right information using the parts list. 

Here are my parts list for the remote mount.

Fuel Filter Remote Mount.pdf Fuel Filer remote mount hoses.pdf

Richard,

The Fass system I installed has two filters, the PF3001 which is 144 micron but the XWS-3002 is a 2 micron filter.  So the filtering capability is better then what originally came on my rig and the benefit of positive pressure all the way back to the engine was the reason I chose to install one. 

I did leave the secondary filter base in place and use the original Fleetguard, I had extra filters on hand and figured just added precaution.  Plus I added my pressure sensor here which tell me what pressure the CAPS pump is seeing.   All the problems that I had been seeing with the ISC CAPS pumps pushed me to do the install.  Time will tell if I did the right thing. 

Some of the filter mfrs. have kits to remote mount a filter. But in this case you probably need to build the kit. You may need longer hoses and some angle fittings to get the lines to the hatch.  On our 08 both fuel filters are mounted in the hatch. No need to get underneath. Just reach in and your done.