Multiplex glitch, 06 Windsor

a4epilot

For the past couple of years, at random times, my interior multiplex light controls freeze where set. Lights that are on stay on and lights that are off cannot be turned on. All the control panel switches are inoperable except for one, the bathroom switch panel. Found it by going around to see if any switches were operable. This was the only one.

If I push any of the 6 switches, everything returns to normal, or, if I unplug the assembly on the backside then re-plug it in, everything returns to normal as well.

As it is, no big deal because it happens on average about once a month. I full-time.

However, my concern is that since something is obviously wrong, it's easy to return to normal now but how long before the problem gets worse and I cannot fix it; disaster.

I have spoken to M&M years ago about a different problem and found them to be easy to contact, very willing and helpful. Before I call them about this, decided to post and see what information is out there.

Thank you in advance.

Gary K   06 Windsor

Quote: For the past couple of years, at random times, my “interior multiplex light controls” . . . Can you explain what this control is or post a photo? I have a 2005 Diplomat I I confess I don’t know what this is! 

1 hour ago, Rick A said:

Quote: For the past couple of years, at random times, my “interior multiplex light controls” . . . Can you explain what this control is or post a photo? I have a 2005 Diplomat I I confess I don’t know what this is! 

The best thing would be to do a Google search for "multiplex systems in motorhomes." You'll get many hits and some YouTube videos. Then you can go as deep as you want to learn and understand. Much better than me trying to do it here.

Gary K

• Like 1

Gary - I had the same problem with my switch panel in the bedroom.  But that was the only one.  I would disconnect and reconnect the connector and it would work fine for a while and then stop working again.  I lived with that until it was happening almost every other day.   I ended up purchasing a new switch panel board from @pwhittle and everything has worked fine since.  So I think I just had a bad board.   But that may not be your problem since you say you have it with all the panels except the bathroom.

@Frank McElroyis also an expert on these systems and might have a few recommendations.

Edited by Bill R

Hi Michael,

The switch panels  are getting tough to find.

Can you take a picture of the front and rear of your faulty one?

Is it one or more buttons, or the whole keypad acting differently?

Paul

On 2/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, Michael J said:

I also have a problem with one of my multi-plex switches have switched it out with similar one from another location so definitely Is bad circuit board where can I purchase a new one??

How can swapping multiplex switch panels work? Isn't each switch programmed for a different light? I thought doing that would be impossible without have each panel re-programed?

Gary K

15 minutes ago, Michael J said:

That was what I thought as well but it did work with a different switch from a different location with the same amount of switches in this case (6)

Paul Whittle

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hope someone here can sort it out as I'm confused. Thanks.

Gary K

FWIW....and the Windsor has a "Hybrid Multiplex"....that is a lower level version of the FULL MPX in the Dynasty.  SO....first the basics.

There is a CPU that can be programmed in the Dynasty.  YES....the Switch Pads are INDIVIDUALLY programmed.  You have to have the Intellitec Software to program them. BUT, I think....and @Frank McElroy is our Expert, you can COPY and then reflash or restore a program (for the entire pad).  Many of our members here have that capability.  BUT, changing a function on a Switch Pad or reprogramming Monaco's original CPU takes an Intelltiec License.  M&M is the "OFFICIAL" Intellitec Tech Support.

NOW, the HYBRID.  This is where it gets TRICKY....  so follow along.  The Windsor and the Camelots and Scepters have, supposedly, TWO different ways to control the MPX modules.  The three Modules in the hybrid system are SIMILAR to the 5 or so in the Dynasty and up.  There are MANY different modules....but IF you purchase the SAME PN....then each Module can be "SET" to work in any other MH that used the same Module. There are DIP switches that just need to be set the same....thus, the Modules are PLUG and PLAY....AFTER you set the DIP's correctly.

NOW.....in the Windsors may have had TWO different "Clocks" as some folks (M&M) called them.  ONE was tied into the Intelltec Energy Management System.  One was a small module called an IPX  The way it works.  The "stolen" chip or PCB from the Energy Management or the IPX is what made the hybrid system (Windsor) work.  It acts as a brain to keep the network running and it sends along the coded signal from the switch to the output module.....keep reading....take a shot of caffiene....

BUT the key pads for the upper ends and the lower ends were the same....only different dressing or fronts.  You can NOT swap a Keypad.  When you press a button on one key pad, it sends a coded message.  I have three Modules....they are labeled alpha   E, F & G.  So, to turn on the over head fluorescents in the bedroom, the code for that is say....F8.  That means that ANY button on ANY key Pad that is programmed for an F8 "signal or output" will work.  In industry we called the PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers)....this is simpler.  You can have three Bedroom Fluorescent buttons on 3 separate Keypads....they will all be F8.....and that is what drives the system.

OK.....WHAT TO DO...  You MIGHT, HOPEFULLY, have an electronic Glitch.  Loosing ONE or all of your keypads is a SYSTEM Issue.  A problem with ONE specific key pad not working or not lighting up CAN be a Keypad. The Keypads are in Parallel.  SO, you CAN move or swap them.  But what you do is swap WHERE the circuits are controlled....assuming that they all have the same connectors.  FWIW....there are probably TWO unique key pads that Monaco had made....The Pump Switch in the Bathroom and the one in the living area if you have a push on or off light switch on the passenger's console coming in.  They have TWO wiring harnesses.

OK>>>>>>>TRY THIS.

The best thing to do is to TURN OFF the Battery Disconnect switch.  That SHOULD kill all power to the system. REAL WORLD HERE.  I got mine in a funk through carelessness.  I did NOT turn off the Main House disconnect and pulled (actually removed) the Jumpers.  So, when i reconnected....I had momentary arcs or power.  It drove my SYSTEM crazy.  SO....I had to shut it all down....then bring it up via the House Switch.  

MOST of the Hybrid Systems were fed off the Salesman Solenoid Switch....That LATCHING solenoid was either ON or OFF and not bouncing.  I pulled mine.  IF you have the Salesman Solenoid and it is working.  TURN OFF the POWER THERE.  Wait a few minutes.  Turn it back on and it may (probably) will come up OK.

NOW>>>> when I did my intermittent Jumper connection, it KILLED many of my switches....but the ones working were fine.  IF you have issues with the KEY PADS not lighting or some of them NOT, then ODDS ARE....you have issues with the controller or the BRAIN....the IPX module (probably near or behind the three Intellitec Modules) or in your Energy Management system. You have to look at your prints or do some digging to find out WHAT the CLOCK or the control item is used.  In the EARLIER DAYS (maybe the 2006), M&M said that there was a "stolen" PCB in the Energy Management "box" or the PCB on the right if you remove the metal cover (CAUTION....LIVE AC VOLTAGE).

I have had to RESET (pull the fuse on my Energy Management) when it got into a funk.  BUT, I THOUGHT that was controlling the MPX...but then found the IPX module...so M&M was wrong or maybe I didn't ask the right question or they forgot that later models....like the 2009 had a special IPX module and the Energy Management was NOT tied to the MPX.

IF you have a keypad that will not light up....check the 3 wire connection and then you CAN swap one....if the other one LIGHTS UP.....that means that the Multiplex Circuit is OK and you have a BAD keypad.

That's about it....

2 hours ago, a4epilot said:

How can swapping multiplex switch panels work? Isn't each switch programmed for a different light? I thought doing that would be impossible without have each panel re-programed?

Gary - yes you need to know the code for each switch and have it programmed.  See this post below about the codes.   If your problem is a bad panel switch, then you will need to have the new switch panel programmed.  Just provide them with your code for each switch and they can program the switches for you.  @pwhittleand @Frank McElroyhave these capabilities.