aux air compressor for air leveling

grizzly
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

20 minutes ago, Monte Roger Fautin said:

Greetings,

My compressor for keeping the coach level runs every 15 minutes for 30 seconds. Must be a small air leak, plus the compressor is rather noisy.

Temperature seems to affect frequency too( I am in Vegas, January).

What's the best remedy? HELP

Could be that your compressor is worn out. That's what was going on with mine. Inside the cylinder was totally gone. Also check for leaks in lines.Turn to manual mode and see if coach settles or go out and listen for a leak. Are your tanks holding air?

Thanks for your reply. Appears I need new air bags, small leak on rear bag found. This is a 2008 coach,had 2 bags replaced a couple of years ago, one front and one rear.

What is the "typical" life of air bags? 

20 hours ago, Monte Roger Fautin said:

No one can give you clear answer, maybe some member statistics could be shared. I have no doubt it depends on climate and usage, just like (not quite) letting a car sit with an empty tire, the tire will eventually crack. For instance, our 2000 model with 200+k miles has only 2 (out of 10) new bags, at least one of them due to external puncture, no blowout but slow leaks. Both on passenger front. I just carry a spare and appropriate tools. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 1:14 PM, Monte Roger Fautin said:

Ivan's bag life seems exceptional.  Mine had all 10 replaced by the previous owner after 14 years, and he is a frugal one, so I'd guess that one needed to be replaced and the shop said the rest were also aged out.  I have seen other MH in dealer lots with 15 years on them and the rubber surface on the bags feeling like very course sand paper, thus it seemed obvious that they were at the end of their life.

The surface of new bags feels like an inner tube - smooth.  If you haven't done so, look into your wheel wells, or reach in, and see what they feel like.  Then you will know if they may have been recently replaced.

Strange as it may seem, rubber that is frequently exercised seems to have a much, much longer life than rubber that is primarily "unexercised".  I have many ranch trailers; total of 18 tires.  If a trailer is rarely used, the life of the tires is 4 to 6 years before dry rot causes a tire to blow out when I use it.  A trailer often used will have tires that last until the tread is worn out.  I also have never had a tire on my pickup truck blow out, even with tires 3 times older than the trailer tires - and I also keep those duals at 80 psi.  Exercising rubber extends life, which can explain why Ivan with 200k+ miles still has working bags.

Edited by DBRV.0
  • Like 2