Water leak at Carefree Awning area - 2005 HR Endeavor

Go to solution Solved by Larry Laursen,

I have a 2005 holiday rambler with water leak at the right side od the front manual care free awning  how i can remove the inside cabits or how detedt the leak i did cauking al the seals om top the door looka like the awning screww may be allow the leak also how i can remove th manual care free awning  the wood on top the door is bad nneds to replease but i can find the leak i look and repach the roof around antenas but syill leaks the roof looks good is two peaces 

Have you checked the belt molding that goes around the top of the motorhome.  This is the seam between the roof and side panel.  The belt molding has a bead of caulk on that seals to the side of the coach, but it takes a small section of bad caulk to cause a problem.

I had to repair a similar type leak on passenger side rear.  I ultaimately found a section of bad belt molding it was where the rear cap mated to the roof, there was a small hump that was not sealed properly.  I redid all mine in 2021, I bought a set of long plastic scrappers from harbor frieght and scrapped al the old caulk out and then used Geocel to caulk.

Did I have to replease  the molding also is that molding glue or has sacred i did coiling the top awning on the door entreabre but still leaking 

Did I need to remove the small and big one awnings to check and are any procedures to remove them the door awning is manually open the long one on the passenger side is electri did I need to open them to inspect for leaks 

1 hour ago, Gonzalo said:

I have a 2005 holiday rambler with water leak at the right side od the front manual care free awning  how i can remove the inside cabits or how detedt the leak i did cauking al the seals om top the door looka like the awning screww may be allow the leak also how i can remove th manual care free awning  the wood on top the door is bad nneds to replease but i can find the leak i look and repach the roof around antenas but syill leaks the roof looks good is two peaces 

If you used any commercial or “big box bought” caulking or silicone or such, then odds are….it will fail again.  You need to use the  Geocel ProFlex RV sealer.  Amazon and Camping World has it,  

Download the manual for your Carefree awning from their website.  It tells you how to do a new install and then you just reverse the steps.  If you have the original build sheet for your MH, it has the exact model number for that awning….as well as the serial number.  You can use the SN to call Carefree and they will email or send you the link to your awning.

Pictures would be great.  

I did a “caulking” search in the “topics” and here is the results.  Scroll down and read.  Others have had similar issues and there is a lot of good information here.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?&q=Caulking%20&type=forums_topic&quick=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Water leak at Carefree Awning area - 2005 Windsor
  • 2 weeks later...

MODERATOR EDIT

This appears to be a new topic covering the same issue.  That is not permitted.  It has been merged into the original.  Please do not post new topics for problems already posted, especially in the last few weeks.

Your Profile is incorrect and was edited.  Please review it.  A Phone number is required now and there is a generic one that was used.

Your attention to the above is appreciated 

END OF EDIT.

I just bougt a 2005 Holliday Rambler Endover and I discover a water leak by door entrance  i did remove part of the inside liner ,and see the leak but i cant find out were come from I did went to roof and seals some litle cracks and add silicone clear on top of the door awning  last nighy rain again and i see some wet spoy againg did any body has a leak like this or know how detected  my last guess is the big awning at passanger side Help please . attach some pictures 

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0993[1].JPG

IMG_0994[1].JPG

IMG_0996[1].JPG

IMG_0998[1].JPG

IMG_0999[1].JPG

IMG_1001[1].JPG

IMG_0995[1].JPG

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Water leak at Carefree Awning area - 2005 HR Endeavor

Never use clear silicone from Lowe’s or a hardware store.  Geocel RV Proflex is what to use.  Camping World in Greensboro stocks this.  Scrape off what you just put on and do it properly.

The pictures of the tape can’t be enlarged enough to see the material…at least on my iPad.  The tape should be EternaBond.  CW may have it.  Some folks try Duct Tape, but regret it and it is a pain to properly remove and clean off.  Amazon has the Eternabomd and the special heavy steel hand roller to properly use.  All sealer or fixes with surface residue on it or around it must be removed using the EternaBond “spray remover”.  Then you typically put down new tape.

The white sealer is unknown.  You can either scrap it off or clean it with some of the EternaBond cleaner/removal in the spray can. Amazon has all this as well as the roller.
Dicor 501LSW-1 Epdm Self-Leveling Lap Sealant

you should use the DiCor. Either scrape off or cover it.  The sealer around the fans and where that is used will have pinhole leaks.  If you wash the roof with a solution of Simple Green and water and then start to push (thumb or hand), you will see bubbles.  Rinse and remove or put a new coating over the sealer,  a good wheel or heavy duty tire brush cleans the sealer and Caulk.

There is some “blue” stuff in the pictures.  If this is a caulk or sealer or painters tape, remove it and use the Proflex.

there are roof members that run side to side.  Many times, I have found leaks that came in from a speaker or a light, but the leak was on the opposite side.  Inspect every white or clear sealer….especially around the air horns or antennas or whatever.  I usually go about 3/4” past the old sealer and out down painters tape and use the DICor to top coat the old or where there were voids or pinholes and extend the sealer.  The sealer will “run” as it is Self Levelling.  Using a caulk gun, it is easy to control.  Then I use a wide putty knife, maybe 2”, and touch it up and thin it out near the tape.  Always let the MH sit for 24 hours after you wash and clean the top with water for it to evaporate….

What is the “pipe” in the picture?  Have you tried using a hose and working a spot to see if it leaks?  Don’t spray water all over the top.  Concentrate on one area….the wait a while…..maybe half hour and try another spot.  If you spray the entire roof, you have no idea WHERE the leak comes from…

others will have to chime in.

Just now, Rick A said:

Only place you can trust water is in a glass with a whisky. Slather on the best sealing compound money can buy. 

I would add….. the BEST APPROVED AND RECOMMENDED RV SEALER….  @throgmartin is one of our experts and has given presentations at the gathering.  I had to fill in once due to a personal matter and his notes were great…he may chime in….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

Is that pipe the condensation drain for the front AC?  If yes, it's missing the "down hose" and could explain the rot and rust?

WOW.....THAT MAY BE IT....??  

@Gonzalo  Suggest that you run the Generator or find a 50 Amp service.  Turn down the Thermostat on the Front AC so that it runs.  There should be a hose or tube where the Front AC Drains.  You need to be on level ground and the MH needs to be level or close.  After an hour or so, especially as warm as it going to be in Winston Salem, you should see condensate draining out.

You can turn off the Front AC and then run the back AC and you should see where it comes out.  Look up under the body and you will see the hose or the tube. You should find one like that up front. 

Monaco had the tubes or drains in different places.  I can't tell you which "corner" yours should be in, but other's might.  Maybe some of the 2005 Diplomat owners can chime in.  I don't know where your MH was built.....Indiana or Oregon.  They Diplomat and the Endeavor are supposed to be twins.  BUT, if one was built in Oregon and the other built in Indiana then there could be differences. 

BOTTOM LINE.  You should be able to see the condensation drip out of each end.  If you don't have a drain tube or hose on the front drain, that is your issue.... 

• Solution
15 hours ago, lake49068 said:

Is that pipe the condensation drain for the front AC?  If yes, it's missing the "down hose" and could explain the rot and rust?

The 05 Endeavor doesn't have a A/C condensation drainpipe.  The water coming off the A/C runs across the roof.

Leaks coming down the inside of the walls most likely are coming from the belt line.  The old sealant needs to be removed the entire length of the coach and replaced.  I have an 05 Endeavor have experienced the problem.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, jacwjames said:

Have you checked the belt molding that goes around the top of the motorhome.  This is the seam between the roof and side panel.  The belt molding has a bead of caulk on that seals to the side of the coach, but it takes a small section of bad caulk to cause a problem.

I had to repair a similar type leak on passenger side rear.  I ultaimately found a section of bad belt molding it was where the rear cap mated to the roof, there was a small hump that was not sealed properly.  I redid all mine in 2021, I bought a set of long plastic scrappers from harbor frieght and scrapped al the old caulk out and then used Geocel to caulk.

thanks a lot i am thinking to rent a or buy a scaffold because  the belt molding is about 11 foot from floor and remove old caulk and reseled with geocel 

9 hours ago, Larry Laursen said:

The 05 Endeavor doesn't have a A/C condensation drainpipe.  The water coming off the A/C runs across the roof.

Leaks coming down the inside of the walls most likely are coming from the belt line.  The old sealant needs to be removed the entire length of the coach and replaced.  I have an 05 Endeavor have experienced the problem.

thanks larry i will check the A/c drain pipes but the RV is park and happens only when it rains but good advice 

Guest Ray Davis

As Larry stated above, Endeavors don't have a drain system, however, I do see a plastic pipe sticking out from below what looks like insulation.   It looks like it may be the area above the door, comparing it to the before picture.   Why is that pipe there?  It appears to head outside, if it does it may be the source of the water.

8 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

As Larry stated above, Endeavors don't have a drain system, however, I do see a plastic pipe sticking out from below what looks like insulation.   It looks like it may be the area above the door, comparing it to the before picture.   Why is that pipe there?  It appears to head outside, if it does it may be the source of the water.

Conduit for the awning or patio light wiring 🤔.

Guest Ray Davis
6 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Conduit for the awning or patio light wiring 🤔

Yep, that may be it.  Still might be where all of the water is coming in.  I would blow air through it & see where it goes, and seal it up.

Guest Ray Davis

You have compressed air in your coach for brakes and suspension.   Most of our coaches have places in the front and rear where an air hose can be attached.   I was thinking of using that air with an air nozzle/gun to carefully apply low pressure while someone listens & looks outside.

The roof structure of Monaco coaches consists of a frame, foam blocks, a layer of plywood and the waterproof cover.  Water that gets past the cover will travel for several feet before to shows up inside. I’ve had  a couple of leaks near the center of the roof that dripped inside over the driver or passenger side windows.  The first was from the crank up TV antenna.  I found that the base was caulked when the antenna was down, omitting the area covered by the the tilt up bars.  The second was where the satellite dome mounting was.  The sat mounting is 3 or 4 metal flex plates that are screwed to the roof and the dome is fastened  to the other end, allowing flex.  The roof end had caulking around the end, but no caulk underneath where the screws penetrated they water proof  layer.  Over the years, the water found those screws and leaked over the side windows.

Dick L, ‘04 HR Imperial