Low beam headlights issues

Your headlight assemblies should be accessible from the back, open your generator compartment and you should be able to remove the bulbs.   If both sides don't have low beam I'd suspect another problem. 

My low beams come on when I use the windshield wipers and stay on.  So when I'm getting ready to leave I make it a habit of testing the wipers. 

20210727_111226.thumb.jpg.7c9542837f8174d95f4c7cf5cd5555a8.jpg20210729_150256.thumb.jpg.5a82d434982814014fdbdbf259bc4ea2.jpgCheck your connection where it plugs into the smart wheel box. Certain monacos are known for this. My 04 dynasty had burnt wires at the plug. Pretty sure there is a thread on this if you search it.

I put the low beam headlights on a relay and it worked like a charm. I would check your plug, located below drivers side, left front box. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Low beam headlights issues
On 2/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, jacwjames said:

Your headlight assemblies should be accessible from the back, open your generator compartment and you should be able to remove the bulbs.   If both sides don't have low beam I'd suspect another problem. 

My low beams come on when I use the windshield wipers and stay on.  So when I'm getting ready to leave I make it a habit of testing the wipers. 

The answer is…..IT DEPENDS.  Monaco used a variety of “stock” automotive or Pickup truck headlights.  You have to crawl around and under to see where they are.  

I am NOT disagreeing with Jim.  But on the Camelots in later years, I think it would take the child of a Chinese acrobat and Houdini to get the bulbs out of mine.  You have, as best I can determine after many crawling under and looking up and then trying to get my torso in a position to look directly into the back of the DOT assembly….that I would need to unplug the harness.  My headlight assembly has a multiple pin connector.  The bulbs are inside the main or outside housing with a small access hole at the rear to get to the headlight socket.  Therefore, removal and rebulbing on a work bench would be  easier.  There is little if any clearance on the back, so an LED with a fan or heat sink would not fit.

The other comments about burned our connectors or relays not operating are true also,

Here are a couple of drawings relative to the '06 Dynasty.  They may or may not help.  The one is a Monaco drawing, and the other is a drawing that I made for our coach.  Mine is complete and accurate TO A POINT.  I do not guarantee it will match your coach's systems, but it may give you an idea where to look.

On our coach, if you look at the drawing I made, you will see that there were two paths to control the low beams.  One was thru the "Canadian Headlight Module" mounted on the "ceiling" of the front run box.  The second was thru the Smartwheel Controller.  On ours, there were no fuses involved with the low beam circuit, only the breaker in the upper left corner of the front run box connected to the terminal designated TS1.  NOTE:  The low beam lamps were actually powered by this circuit.  The high beam lamps only had the relays powered by this circuit.

Also, know that in the '06 model year, some of the board #8 designs had relay K1 and K2 controlling the LEFT and RIGHT HI BEAM lamps, which was how our coach was wired.  Others had K1 and K2 controlling the HI BEAM and the LO BEAM's separately.

This may or may not help you.  It was amazing how much variation existed from one coach to the next, thru each model year, as well as from year to year.

If nothing else, these drawings may give you an idea of where to check voltages to find out where the 12V "goes away".  Good luck!

Schematic%20-%20Lights%2C%20Turn%20Signals%20copy.pdf Schematic - Headlights, Run, Clearance, Fog and Dash.pdf

I am not 100% sure but I believe the turn signal stalk still has a high/low beam function.  Don't know if it fails it would prevent the low beam from working?

I have a chassis wiring diagram for my coach, attached is a snap shot of the turn signal stalk.  If it is blurry when you open it hit CTRL 5 and it will clear right up.

Turn Signal stalk.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, ktloah said:

Have you checked the headlight switch?.they have been known to fail over time

ktloah, please e-mail me at bblansfield@juno.com concerning the relay you added for your low beam headlights.

Thank you in advance,

Bill

• 3 months later...

Another place to check is at the connectors on wires 67, 68, & 69 that come from behind the dash and travel up the steering column as a separate three wire bundle. These wires show in you schematic. My Camelot uses the same three wires, as do other coaches.

I have seen 4 coaches with scorched connectors causing no low beams. Also, the high current takes out the hi/lo beam switch. Relays at the headlights takes the load off the wire connectors and switch. Another plus is you have full voltage to the headlights  

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

69990287887__A1338836-2B70-4D88-8339-CDB75E127962.jpeg