need help for ignition and engine not start

Hello, excuses me if my english is not perfect, i try very hard to make the best, i am french Canadian from Québec, in Gatineau City.

the story begin last week, i décide to install my 7 way plug 12v line, the wire was already there but i need to plug it in 12 volt source.

i check in the back pannel for find ithat. i never need 12 volt before but for my trailer brake i needit because i bought a wireless brake controler.

i already find a 12v ignition wire on the ignition relay in back bay.

i think it's good because the 12 volt will be cut when i close the key.  BIG ERROR"

friday i start my engine, all good.  Start well and all ok.  I take my remote for brake and check and it connect immédiatly with my brake box on trailer.  I am very happy.

I continue to check it and turn the side button and see the number change ( brake adjust)  and while i do it the engine stop and i am not able to restart it.

when i turn the key the trans pannel have no light, no wait to start and not cranking.

I know now i make something bad, i remove the 12v wire ( with the inline 15 amp fuse in it)

Now i begin to check :and no fuses was burned in front and back bay, i check all reley  ALL in front and rear bay, and the seem be all good.  But when i check the white ignition wire where i connect my 12 volt it have now no ign signal from this wire.

Since friday i try to find what i have broke in the ignition system.  In the front bay i see ign signal in a yellow wire on a plug on top

and the ign square relay have the ign signal and 12v power when i check it, only the third on marked  P/L have no signal.

can you help me about what to chek for refund ignition?

Last saturday was my Date for my trip in teaxas,  My friend start without me and i hope to be ok for go in the dream trip for  me,  my first long trip and i broken something who's go well.  I am very disapointed about me, and if i take time to be wise i only have to connect it to the 12 volt plug in that pannel.

Please need help, all the bagage are ready to go on camper and my closed trailer loaded.  My camping réserved for 1 march.

my fir 2 month vacation for life too.

Thanks in advance,   Bighoud,  Denis 

Monaco windsor 2001  double extension,  on roadmaster chassis, and ISC 8.3 cummins and allisson 3000 trans.

Hate to say it,  but what happens when you undo everything you did with this brake controller? Cutting into wiring and then things stop working tends to make me think that it’s most likely the issue or perhaps a splice failed, shorted or a common was forgotten/pulled out. 

Edited by BradHend

You also posted on IRV2 but it was an older thread so many won't respond.  He's what I wrote.  It might help other respond.  Keep us informed of what you've checked and if you get it fixed.  This is a great group but we need info/feedback to help

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor so it might be pretty close to your 2001.

In my rear passenger side electrical bay I have 4 fuse holders that have 7 fuses. These are the waterproof type, pull the bottom portion out to see the fuse. These fuses are for the engine and one for the transmission. I would check these fuses.

In my front drivers side electrical bay below the drivers window there are two small fuse boxes labeled Monaco 1&2. In the Monaco 2 box there is one 5 amp fuse for both the Engine & Transmission Ign. Check that fuse.

If you were working in the engine compartment check to make sure you didn't accidentally hit the remote start switch to the rear start position, easy to do I've done it several times BUT I would think there would be lights on the transmission display.

If those suggestions don't work you will have to get a multimeter out and start checking voltages.

Jim and I are helping on another forum with a similiar situation and after reviewing Jim's post over there and zooming in on a picture posted it surprised me to find some sort of fuse holders he must be referring to. They do not look like fuse holders from a distance. So I took a snap shot of them.

I will be posting that picture there as well

To the person posting here. Some pictures would help us understand where you tapped off for your power. 

As a temporary fix, since you most likely blew a fuse, you may be able to install your own inline fuse and holder and provide power to that line. This might back feed things and get you on the road. You could pull the fuse when not needed. 

As you were tugging and pulling on wires you could have caused some sort of connector to work loose as well,

Look closely at the labels on the covers. And after a close look seeing two wires protruding from each end of the holder they surely are fuse holders. 

Rear compartment fuses.jpg

Edited by myrontruex

56 minutes ago, TGAWLAK said:

I was having similar problems I unhook the chassis batteries and waited 15 minutes and the coach started

That MIGHT mean you overloaded a self resetting circuit breaker.  They are typically used in the TOAD battery charging circuit.  I suggest you look at your wiring and see if there is one in use in the ignition circuit.  Also of a critical wire was pulled off and put back on the “downstream” terminal of one of these, that could explain it.  If this happens again, start using a VOM or rest light and find it then.  Otherwise you are tempting fate…

13 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

That MIGHT mean you overloaded a self resetting circuit breaker.  They are typically used in the TOAD battery charging circuit.  I suggest you look at your wiring and see if there is one in use in the ignition circuit.  Also of a critical wire was pulled off and put back on the “downstream” terminal of one of these, that could explain it.  If this happens again, start using a VOM or rest light and find it then.  Otherwise you are tempting fate…

Tom,

This poster fixed his problem by disconnecting the battery cable, waiting and then reconnecting.  His original thread is on IRV2 and I believe he was driving when the rig/engine just shut down.  So he got his rig running but like you say, it could happen again.

This thread is from an individual in Quebec CA.  He was working on wiring in a trailer plug and now can't get his rig started.  He has a 2001 Windsor which should be pretty close to mine.  The only auto reset circuit breakers I have is for the driver/passenger seats located in the larger panel under the drivers window and then for the AC Clutch/Condensor located in the #1 Monaco Box in the compartment under the drivers window.  All the larger circuit breakers on my rig are manual reset. 

Here is a copy of my 2002 Windsor Chassis Wiring diagram.  It might be close to yours. 

When you open it the picture has to be zoomed in to ~800% to read it but it will be blurry, hit CTRL5 and it will clear right up. 

You can go through the circuits and at least see the interaction.   I could not find any thing to do with the trailer wiring harness.  I also looked in the house wiring diagrams since there is a page showing the interface between chassis and house but did not see the trailer wiring harness. 

Please post feedback as to what you've checked

2002 Windsor Chassis Wiring Diagram.pdf

28 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Tom,

This poster fixed his problem by disconnecting the battery cable, waiting and then reconnecting.  His original thread is on IRV2 and I believe he was driving when the rig/engine just shut down.  So he got his rig running but like you say, it could happen again.

This thread is from an individual in Quebec CA.  He was working on wiring in a trailer plug and now can't get his rig started.  He has a 2001 Windsor which should be pretty close to mine.  The only auto reset circuit breakers I have is for the driver/passenger seats located in the larger panel under the drivers window and then for the AC Clutch/Condensor located in the #1 Monaco Box in the compartment under the drivers window.  All the larger circuit breakers on my rig are manual reset. 

Thanks…..since we don’t know exactly what was cut and what was connected….”grasping for straws” sets in.  You are probably correct.  I would not have expected a resettable CB in the ignition circuits, but who knows what was done and maybe even by a previous owner.

Over the years, there has been the constant theme that charging a TOAD battery Or hopefully a breakaway battery on a trailer, the need for a 15 or 20 amp resettable CB is paramount.  But, folks will cut and put it upstream or wherever.  PICTURES is a necessity…..

OK, reread the OP post and there are two relays with an ignition sense, 

One relay in the rear passenger side electrical bay on my coach is for the Battery Maintainer Lockout, located upper left hand corner.  But it actually gets its signal from the front drivers side run bay but it is for the Step/vacuum sense circuit, a 7.5 amp fuse slot #33 on the larger board.  Not sure why this would prevent the rig from starting if this is where he got his ignition signal. 

The second relay is an engine ignition relay, but it does not have the detail of the wiring but it would be on the chassis wiring diagram I posted earlier. 

BTW it does have wiring harness shown on this diagram but says to refer to the chassis wiring diagram for detail. 

Attached is the diagram of the rear passenger side run bay, you will have to zoom in and hit CTRL5

2002_Windsor Passenger side rear electrical bay.pdf

I want to thank everyone for their advice and knowledge after one more episode of shutdown  it seems the Ecm plug is loose and vibrates to disconnect     A few zip ties latter I was on my way to Tampa with no more episodes.    I hope it lasts      Thanks everyone    Happy camping