Power cuts out momentarily - only on genset

Newcsn

Noticed an interesting phenomenon on our recent 5 week trip. Boondocked in a Cracker Barrel on our way to SWFL & kicked the 10 KW genset on. We were watching TV & intermittently the TV would shut off & then come back on - also noticed brief dimming of lights. It did this a few times over the span of the evening. 

Got to our final destination & were on 50 amp shore power for 5 weeks. Never had a similar issue during the entirety of our stay.

On our return trip we repeated the boondocking thing & experienced the same intermittent cut out as before.

Any idea what would be causing this only while running off genset?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Newcsn said:

Noticed an interesting phenomenon on our recent 5 week trip. Boondocked in a Cracker Barrel on our way to SWFL & kicked the 10 KW genset on. We were watching TV & intermittently the TV would shut off & then come back on - also noticed brief dimming of lights. It did this a few times over the span of the evening. 

Got to our final destination & were on 50 amp shore power for 5 weeks. Never had a similar issue during the entirety of our stay.

On our return trip we repeated the boondocking thing & experienced the same intermittent cut out as before.

Thanks

I do NOT think, but you do NEED to check the ATS and if it is the IOTA 50-R, then it needs to be replaced immediately.  I think that there was a TRC SurgeGuard on the early Dynasties.  BUT, it if it is....then the most popular and robust is the ESCO LPTR50BRD.  

YES....to tripping OFF the Genny circuit breaker on the Genny and NOT being plugged in.  If you don't have the IOTA, open up the ATS and tighten the contacts. The rule of thumb is a BIG handled screwdriver and wrap it with a couple of thicknesses of a cloth shop towel ( the reds or blues) and put as much torque as your hand can squeeze and use the other hand to push HARD against the screwdriver to keep it from camming out.

Pull the main panel cover and tighten every screw terminal in there....especially the mains...they may be allen....can't remember.  Short of that and NOT having an IOTA....read on...

I KNOW that there are some issues with the 10 KW Genny.  I THINK your symptoms are the same, but others will have to chime in.  You need to run the Generator and put as much load on the genny as you can come up with.  Run all the AC's and use the Microwave and maybe even have a 1500 watt load (like three 500 watt halogen quartz work lights) on.  The brushes and the communtator (sp?) get crappy.  If you exercise and run the Genny with a heavy load for a few hours once or twice a year, the Genny gets cleaned up.  You CAN use your block heater as well, just remember to turn it off or unplug it.  You want at least a 50 - 75% load.  If you have NOT switched to LED and have your puck lights still as the Halogen Incandescent, turn on every light.  If you have a res refer, run that....

That should, in my memory, clean it up.  BUT, others might know some other tricks.....  Even IF this is not the cause, the brushes need to be cleaned by use under load annually or so.  If you have never done that, then it might take doing that once....then letting it sit and do it again in a few days.  It will NOT hurt to make the Genny work closer to the load it was intended for...

7 hours ago, Newcsn said:

Thanks

Hear the gen's sound change when this happens?

I have a 10k, and other than a spade connector come apart under the cover, it's ran like a Swiss watch!

I've also never read of any inherent problems!

27 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Hear the gen's sound change when this happens?

I have a 10k, and other than a spade connector come apart under the cover, it's ran like a Swiss watch!

I've also never read of any inherent problems!

There were PCB & moisture issues with the 10K.  Many techs carried rebuilt boards.  If you have kept your Genny loaded as suggested, then there will be no issues.  Folks that don’t run the Genny’s often or only light loads have experienced a plethora of issues….usually solved by loading it up and polishing or cleaning the brushes.  It is a common problem….

11 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I don't have a problem with our 65N but curious what your issue was if you don't mind a quick note.

In short the board that runs across the bottom connecting the two contactor gets loose and causes the issue mostly while driving and hitting harsh bumps. Before figuring that out I would bypass the first contactor and bring in the house with the main breaker after the gen was warmed up and the reverse for cool down. When I ordered a new board I noticed it fit Very Poorly  onto the bottom of the two contactors because it was not on the same centers side to side to connect properly. I sent pictures to and talked to Esco in person while in Elkhart. I ended up pulling one contactor and slotting the holes slightly to get it to move more so they would line up better. Without that they wouldn’t fit well and not make a good connection. I was a time consuming trip down diagnosing lane. I also told Esco one of the components on the board was in the way to properly engage the spade connectors and it had to be bent to the side got it to fit. It was a PITA overall until I figured it all out. 

9FE0CBC4-4337-4732-AF2C-FE7506BBB613.png

5B832949-8F93-4794-AD94-0A0677F770E5.png

FBE74C0B-82F9-40A6-82F2-A064A38A8356.png

Zoom in on that first pic and you will see the misalignment. It was worst with the new board. Early on before figuring it out I started with the contactor even though it didn’t show any signs of wear. Bench test with 12v showed it was pulling in just fine. 

On 3/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, Tom Cherry said:

I do NOT think, but you do NEED to check the ATS and if it is the IOTA 50-R, then it needs to be replaced immediately.  I think that there was a TRC SurgeGuard on the early Dynasties.  BUT, it if it is....then the most popular and robust is the ESCO LPTR50BRD.  

YES....to tripping OFF the Genny circuit breaker on the Genny and NOT being plugged in.  If you don't have the IOTA, open up the ATS and tighten the contacts. The rule of thumb is a BIG handled screwdriver and wrap it with a couple of thicknesses of a cloth shop towel ( the reds or blues) and put as much torque as your hand can squeeze and use the other hand to push HARD against the screwdriver to keep it from camming out.

Pull the main panel cover and tighten every screw terminal in there....especially the mains...they may be allen....can't remember.  Short of that and NOT having an IOTA....read on...

I KNOW that there are some issues with the 10 KW Genny.  I THINK your symptoms are the same, but others will have to chime in.  You need to run the Generator and put as much load on the genny as you can come up with.  Run all the AC's and use the Microwave and maybe even have a 1500 watt load (like three 500 watt halogen quartz work lights) on.  The brushes and the communtator (sp?) get crappy.  If you exercise and run the Genny with a heavy load for a few hours once or twice a year, the Genny gets cleaned up.  You CAN use your block heater as well, just remember to turn it off or unplug it.  You want at least a 50 - 75% load.  If you have NOT switched to LED and have your puck lights still as the Halogen Incandescent, turn on every light.  If you have a res refer, run that....

That should, in my memory, clean it up.  BUT, others might know some other tricks.....  Even IF this is not the cause, the brushes need to be cleaned by use under load annually or so.  If you have never done that, then it might take doing that once....then letting it sit and do it again in a few days.  It will NOT hurt to make the Genny work closer to the load it was intended for...

Thank you @Tom Cherry - super helpful! We do NOT have an IOTA (thankfully) - I verified this shortly after we acquired the coach & I started learning more about the nuances of its electrical systems!

I’ll have to work through the “tightening” procedure as outlined. However, it will be a bit before the temps get warm enough here to “max load” the generator as you suggested. Wish I could have done that while I was in SWFL - but the park we were at forbid running generators or the diesel Aqua Hot.

Thanks, as always, for all the outstanding feedback. This is one incredible group of folks!!!!