2014 F150 4x4 Toad

TDaleABQ

Hello Folks,

First off this forum is the BEST.  I have learned so much even though I have been a Monaco owner for 20 years.  I just bought a 2014 Ford F150 Lariet to pull behind my 2007 Monaco Knight.  My question is I disconnected with a quick disconnect after following instructions to tow 4 down.   It pulled great!  Just as good as the 2014 Ford Explorer we have been pulling for many years.  After stopping for the night, I connected the battery and it started up just fine.  We then went to dinner and it ran great but threw the P028a engine code.  PCM issue.  I cleared the code and it ran just as always.  Anything I should be concerned about.  Any of you who tow a F150 have this issue?   Thanks so much.

Tim Dale,  ABQ NM

If you cleared the code and it doesn't come back you might be OK, but that seldom happens. 

I never saw or read about this type of code so it peaked my interest and found this.  https://partsavatar.ca/p208a-obd-ii-trouble-code-reductant-pump-control-circuit-open-solution-egr-valve-exhaust-fluid

So it seems most of the fixes involve wiring, connections etc.  What is the quick disconnect you mentioned??  Do you have to remove the battery cable??

I posted not because I know the cause or fix but to watch and learn. 

I don't work on ford electrical if I can help it but your code is for PCM relay disconnect, not necessarily the PCM itself. Wonder if you, by disconnecting the battery (if I understand you right) could have actually caused it by shutting the power to PCM down before it was ready. There should be a PCM relay up front in a fuse box. If it happens again, you might switch it with an other identical relay in the box, like for lights etc.

I have to ask the question "Why are you disconnecting the battery".  I've been towing my 2012 and 2019 F-150's for five years now and have never disconnected the battery.  Are you running an Air Force One auxiliary braking system, if not then how are you powering up your braking system?

• Like 1

Mike,  We had a 2014 Ford Explorer we towed before this F150.  The battery would go dead unless I "used a quick disconnect" on it.  Felt like I would have the same issue on the F150.  Like a dumb *ss I did not read the full directions in the F150 manual that said, "DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY".  I did drive it from NM to Kerrville Tx disconnected and got the P068a code.  I reconnected the battery via quick disconnect and cleared the code and it has run fine ever since.  I have my brake buddy hooked up directly to the battery past the quick disconnect.  Tomorrow when we leave Kerrville, I will heed the warning from the manual and your advise as well.  Thanks

TDale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the 7-pin connector, you can provide 12VDC to the towed vehicles battery + terminal.  ALWAYS put an in-line waterproof fuse on that connection (typically 20A).

Attached is the pinout for my Fleetwood Discovery, which is probably standard.  I fabricated my own quick disconnect cable to make sure this 12VDC source was included.

Trailer Hitch Plug-Discovery.pdf

• 2 weeks later...