Removing clear coat on 2003 Monaco Diplomat

I have a 2003 Diplomat and I would like to remove the clear coating, I live in Alberta CA and with our cold weather up here, right now is only +4 c. I have tried only a few products that are available up here and they do not work!! 

_2.jpg

_4.jpg

_6.jpg

Hard to tell from the pictures....is this paint clear coat or a front end bra 3M plastic overlay?

If paint, the only real fix is to sand off all clear, color coat (to get the color uniform again) and reclear coat.

If 3M, there are lots of posts on how to remove this carefully.  All are a lot of tedious work.

• Like 2

It's not clear to me, no pun intended, as to what you want to do after removing the clear coat.

Looking at your pictures, you have delamination so the clear is pulling away. This is happening because the UV stabilizers in the clear are no longer doing their job, most likely because of other damage that went through the clear exposing the basecoat.

If you remove it, you will have to reapply clear as a protectant. I suggest sanding, and you will have to scuff the base as well to prepare it for new clear coat. With proper PPE, use a 2K for better protection. Just be aware you may have to spray new base as well if that layer is equally damaged.

Try starting with 400-500 grit to remove the old clear, go slow and let the paper do the work. You'll then have to work your way up to 600 grit as that will be a better surface to spray over. 

Clear coat is made to resist chemicals and conventional cleaners including thinners. The only reliable method is sanding it down. There are cans of clearcoat melting solutions that soften it and sort of can eliminate the hard edges but primarily intended for spot repairs, that does not seem to be a solution for you given the extend.

• Like 1

I believe this is the original clear coat that was put on when made. Seems like a lot of work for this ( me ) 79 year old!! I will be checking at the body shops to see how much they would charge. 

Thanks to all that replied.🧔‍♂️

Dave

Try Alberta coach and chassis. I buy most of my parts from them, ask for Steve, I would imagine he has a guy.My coach had a brand new clear coat on it before I bought it off a friend, when not in use I keep a coach cover on it as I don't have a shop.I wax it so much my wife thinks I have a problem. Have to keep the sunscreen on the coach.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser