Access to wiring in base of overhead cabinet

Does anyone have any experience in removing the inside of the base in the overhead cabinet over the couch in a 2003 Windsor or similar cabinets in other models.  I need to get into the area to repair a wire leading to one of the dome lights under the cabinet.  The other light works and I can ohm out the defective wire to the non-working light.  I tried to fish another wire between lights but there are too many obstructions in the way.  The inside base seems to be very thin plywood covered with a cloth/thin carpet material.  The base is mounted pretty securely and cannot be easily pried up.  I thought I would check to see if anyone has any thoughts before I rip up the cloth to see how the plywood is secured.

Thanks for any info.

Tony Chiulli

'03 Windsor, '05 Ram  

I've taken the bottom out of a lot of the overhead cabinets for one reason or another. 

It is a thin plywood with the carpet type material glued to it.  There may also be some 1/4 round trim pieces in the corners. 

Sometimes it's hard to get out.  Probably the best method I'd used is taking a stiff metal putting knife and getting a corner to start coming up.  Once you get a corner up you can use another putty knife or screw driver to raise the rest, working your way to the other end of the cabinet and toward the back.  At some point you'll be able to pull the bottom out.  I use a pliers to pull all the nails. 

When I'm done I just put the bottom back in place and press it down and put the quarter round pieces back.  I don't fasten the bottom down in case I have to pull it back up. 

• Like 1

05 diplomat
I had to repair some overheads
I pulled the puck light down and pounded up in the light hole.
(mine had staples around the inside edges, I worked around slowly to not break the thin wood)
To lift the inside of the floor in the cabinet.
I figured I could hide the inside of the cabinet better than the outside 🙂

Usually just brad nailed on. Get a pry tool and just pull down slowly and the brads will pull hrough the plywood. Just had mine down in my neptune for the dinette puck lights inop, turned out to be bad switch in slide wall. 

I just finished removing the lower carpeted piece in one of my cabinets.  My problem was the bottom was installed before the side walls, so the side walls were sitting on top of the carpet.  Both sides had to come out first.  A stiff putty knife and patience.   Everything was pin nailed down.

I need to get the DS slide top back cabinet wall off so I can get to the wiring for the back side window shades.  I took the two screws out but it won't budge .  It looks like the carpeted bottom was installed after the side.  I hate to start tearing things out unless I know what I'm doing.  My other option is to just cut the two 2 conductor wires going to the two shade motors.  I hate to do that either.  I need to get the shades down to roll them back up properly.  Impossible to do when the shades are hanging only by the wiring.  Suggestions appreciated. 

Well I finally got back to the the under cabinet light problem.  True to everyone's suggestions, side trim and side panels in the cabinet had to be removed before I could get to the base.  By peeling up the carpet material in a corner I was able to expose a couple of brad nails.  By chiseling the wood around those 2 nails, I was able to pry the panel up past those 2 nails enough to get under the panel and continue to pry all around the base until it was free.  Once exposed the electrical problem was easy; a separated wire from a wire nut.  Both lights worked as they should.  

Now I had to remove all the brad nails (guessing about 100) that were still embedded in the frame of the cabinet.  During this process, I must have jostled the light switch because when I checked the light operation before I closed it up, neither light worked.  It turns out that the potentiometer in the switch assembly broke apart.  That switch is no longer available and from information from this forum, I have the new switch, LOW Side Dimmer Assembly 15 Amp (Three wire) from Northwest RV Supply SKU: AH-SLD-5-LS01, on the way.  When it gets here, I'll continue the post.

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/low-side-dimmer-assembly-15-amp-three-wire/#:~:text=SWITCHES %26 BEZELS-,LOW Side Dimmer Assembly 15 Amp (Three wire),-%2429.80

Tony

'30 Windsor, '05 Ram

Probably depends on where and who was putting in the bases and which models.  

Switch is still not here.  Only concern would be the physical fit.  It's supposed to be a direct replacement even though they are physically different.  

We'll see!

Tony

The switch arrived today.  While the switch was an electrical direct replacement, physically it was not.  The hole had to be elongated slightly and then everything fit and worked perfectly!  Thanks again for all the input.

Tony Chiulli

'03 Windsor, '05 Ram

• Like 1