Vorad Radar Cruise Control Repair.

If you have the Vorad radar cruise, this may be of interest. Pretty amazing that 15+ year old coaches had this feature as an option. Recently mine would stop working after 4-6 hours but after turning off for an hour it would work again. Retrived a engine communication fault code out of it. Had previously bought a used truck CPU off EBay but it didn’t do much of anything when I swapped it.

Fortunately one of the original developers still works on them so I sent both CPUs to him. Surprisingly the used one was in pretty good shape and with the updated MH software it worked. He had to rotate the gyro in it so it mounted in the same direction. He updated the software in my original one as one of the fixes is better communication with the engine… he couldn’t get it to fault on his test bench.

I’d read where the entire side console and switches had to be removed as it’s mounted behind it. Fortunately only the top 2 screws held mine in so I estimated where the screws were and drill 1/2” holes through the fiberglass console. Getting it out was fairly simple and back in took 15 minutes. Had already made a long square bit (naturally they didn’t use Phillip). Will be a couple months before I’ll have the MH out to test it.

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6306.png

Edited by Ivylog

19 hours ago, vito.a said:

I really like the Eaton VORAD system.  It's funny because some of the newer coaches are just getting smart cruise in the last few years.  

Probably a function of technology improvements as well as more complex, yet way cheaper IC’s or chips.  I liken it to the development of self dimming headlights and cruise controls.  The upper end GM’s (maybe Ford and Chrysler also) were experimenting with self dimming headlights back in the mid 50’s.  Then maybe a decade later.  My wife’s Caddy ATS, with the high end package, has that.  I have driven it on a lot and I mean a lot of different environments such as interstate and rural and suburban and urban and such.  It is about as seamless and also flawless as any electronic marvel.  But the original concept started 60 years before her system came out.  Same for the Eaton Vorad.  It was a pricey option.  Now with safety braking and features on the middle to low end cars, the Coach manufacturers must be getting some piggy back technology and there is a “cheaper”…maybe by an order of magnitude system that will work,

What would be interesting to know is how many OTR rigs have the same technology that the newer MH’s are using.  I also remember that GM, maybe 1964 experimented with a buzzer for speed control.  Then, again, Eaton started making them.  I had a Volvo (83 DL) that had cruise and I finally figured out that it was an Eaton system and got through to Eaton tech support.  Volvo had the dealers going through Volvo tech support and they were clueless.  I told the dealer what to do and gave him the Eaton hotline.  He said, later, that they were grateful and started discounting my service and let me buy parts at dealers cost.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:23 AM, 4rickyg said:

I've been struggling to get my system not working for a while now.I need a new side sensor. square type if anyone knows where to find one?

Where have you looked for that square side sensor?  Anyone know if Rick Yblood has any?  Some sensors are mounted so the 1st and 3rd apex of the square are vertical. I wonder if they are all "square"? 

I have a very extensive lists of source options, choices,  for any one who would like it. 

email if you prefer to; ackermanenter@aol.com 

On 4/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, 4rickyg said:

I've been struggling to get my system not working for a while now.I need a new side sensor. square type if anyone knows where to find one?

The newer software will not work with the square sensors and maybe Vito went to round ones???