Black water tank cleaning

After months of research on stopping the blockage of a residential toilet, I have discovered that one tbs of granular Oxy Clean, put in the toilet, will dissolve the blockage. If the water level is above normal, it will fall with the Oxy Clean and can be flushed. No more plunger. Liquid Oxy Clean, when sprayed in the water after flushing, will remove any leftover stuff on the toilet. No more washing the toilet. Throw away that toilet brush, it is history. Now to the real reason of this post. I feel that if you flush a tbs of Oxy Clean down to the black tank once in a while, it would dissolve what is on the bottom of the tank and no more buildup. Oxy Clean is cheaper than the rv tank cleaners on the market.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Thanks 1

Gary,

Thanks for the tip! I will give it a go as we use this product in our laundry daily at home and at laundromats when we travel.

If it works that well in the Black Tank I will use it in both to keep the grey tank from building up greasy deposits along with the Dawn Professional I am presently using in the grey tank.

Gary and Dr4Film, how about a follow up testimonial in 3 months or so to let us know how will this works in the field, for both grey and black tanks. If golden it would sure be a more convenient and cost effective option to more specialty products for this purpose. I may also give it a try in the grey tank in the interim.

19 minutes ago, Terryjean said:

Sounds good, but are you worried about the Oxsee eating away at the plastic tanks?  Tj

If it can be used when doing laundry in millions of homes with plastic drain pipes I highly doubt that it will have any affect on the thick plastic tanks and pipes used in an RV or a mobile home especially when it has been diluted with lots of water.

JMHO

Edited by Dr4Film

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Gary, your point is correct however I was thinking more form the standpoint of developing issues like increased bad smells or effects on valves etc.

TWO POINTS….one an opinion and the other a question.

If you use OxyClean in your washing machine, there is a myriad of rubber parts (seals, solenoids, pumps, hoses, etc) that it comes in contact with.  Add to that the fact that the concentration, assuming one doesn’t go crazy, will probably be less….as you have a 80 gallon tank….In reality, whatever you put in a load of clothes….will be added to 10 gallons of water.  So, in effect, you could use 4 times the OxyClean for a normal load and fill the tank halfway.  Not to mention is you press soak and dump the garnets as well as the “dishpan” into the tub.

OK….now….has anyone experimented with OxyClean to soak and removed the dried up TP and residue on the sides that will get wet and wick and give a false reading for cheap OEM system Monaco installed?  OXY makes a OXY-Kem….maybe not related.  All the reading and scanning I have done says that nothing really works.  Some folks us the GEOMETHOD and then add a shot of Dawn.  That actually might be a good idea.  I have never had an odor issue with any of the additives….or without.  The Dawn would improve the ability of the cleaner to stay on the surface….like using it in a pesticide or insecticide application.  The NC State University “agronomy” folks ran tests….a good shot of Dawn allowed the same efficacy as maybe cutting the concentration by 1/3 or more.

SO…OXY whatever probability will help…but getting the insides clean so there is no wall residue to wick and give a false reading seems like a futile effort.  As long as we stay parked….fine.  Drive and slosh…..forget it.  Watch the gray tank….dump it and the black.  Typically, i have less than half the volume, based on my Sanicon pump run time…

As for me, I have never used OXY for my washing machines and I have a well, so I’m very fussy about what I use. I actually make my own washing detergent. I use a little bit of fabric softener down the toilet, hoping that will ease the toilet paper through the pipes, of course we always empty black water first then gray water some people use borax in black water tank for a little bit of fabric softener have not heard of using dawn sounds OK but I wonder what it bubble up and suds up when you’re driving down the road with all the slashing? Just kidding, but you never know.😱. Tj

We use Dawn Platinum Liquid Dish soap for washing dishes.

Haven't seen any significant amount of suds EVER when dumping. Infact, the only suds I may see coming from the grey tank is the very last gallon or so of water which represents the TOP of the grey water sitting in the tank. Whether these suds come from doing dishes or taking showers I don't know BUT I prefer to have some suds coming out at that time. I use the suds to lubricate the Black and Grey Dump Valves by closing the Black valve once I see the slippery suds trickling down followed with the Grey valve.

Don't need to purchase any "special" lubricant for the valves as the soapy suds does the job each and every time when we dump tanks. 

I applaud those using a "common sense" approach to this problem. 

HOWEVER, should you wish to be entertained by the ramblings of extremists, look up any discussion related to "Should I be using RV-specific toilet tissue?".  It will keep you laughing for as long as you read it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Van, right on brother!

For those that like campfires I build and sell an RV Campfire Smoke Shifter that is guaranteed for lifetime.

I am one of those.  Put my chair right where you want the smoke to go.  If you want it changed, move my chair.

• Haha 1