Smart Wheel turn signal switch

I have a 2008 Dynasty. Within the past week, the turn signal switch is working intermittently. If I hold up on the lever, it will work sometimes. I have cleaned all grounds to make sure it is not that. I have also checked to make sure all the harnesses coming out of the wheel are connected well. I have fiddled around with it enough to feel the switch is bad. Do any of you have a differing opinion?

If I need to replace the switch, do any of you know the procedure? I have looked at YouTube and other online resources and do not see anything on this subject. I have watched clock spring replacement and have learned a little. However, it looks like the turn signal switch is below the clock spring in the column.

I prefer to have some knowledge before tearing into it.

When I had a very similar problem with my 2008 Dynasty, I found that the blinker relay mounted in the right hand side wall of the FRB (Front Run Bay) would not stay tight in the socket.  After I used a zip tie to hold it tightly in place, no more problems.

I found that one of the cables on the house batteries was disconnected. It was touching the post a bit, but we were getting some power loss (like a brownout and then it would be fine) to the lighting as a result. My question is... Would this have had anything to do with the turn signals not working consistently?

Edited by Doug and Nicki

Working fine now but will see once we get back on the road. Hard to believe the switch is bad. These switches are used on heavy trucks and should last the lifetime of the RV.

• 2 weeks later...

We traveled from Nashville to Cincinnati and it worked fine until the last ten miles. Then it quit working consistently again.  I will do some voltage checks once we get to Columbus. I’ll post what I ultimately find. 

Just a comment in general.  Your situation reminds me of an issue that I had.  Vibration is an UGLY thing.  If it stays "QUIT", you are fine.  BUT, if it starts to work again....I would NOT try to find the ghost.  UNLESS you see an obvious issue, then the next time it fails....you really DO need to do the troubleshooting then.

Frank;s the expert....so follow his lead and look for a loose socket....like maybe tapping the flasher or some connections (not using a sledge hammer) with the handle of a large screwdriver.  Intermittents are the scourage of trouble shooting (car or RV or boat or whatever).

Good Luck....I tried for 5 years to find my short or intermittent....which caused a major voltage drop.  I bypassed it and all was well.....but, recently I found the culprit....and I will replace a bad switch (House Battery)....that would vibrate OK (no voltage drop) and then back to an intermittent....sometimes very high drop (3 VDC).  Just by accident....and not looking and I did just about everything, under load to find it and it was elusive.

This is NOT specific....but we get a LOT of things like these and folks spend hours trying to recreate or find a problem or an issue that "Ain't Broke".  It gotta, most times, be BROKE to find it....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doug and Nicki said:

We traveled from Nashville to Cincinnati and it worked fine until the last ten miles. Then it quit working consistently again.  I will do some voltage checks once we get to Columbus. I’ll post what I ultimately find. 

We need to know if you have a conventional or a Kongsberg chassis multiplex coach.  If you don't know the difference, please post a picture of your front run bay.  If you have a Kongsberg CCM are both the house and chassis batteries being charged while driving?

Not a chassis multiplex coach, thank God. I put a new flasher unit in it a couple years ago I just pulled and reseated it, so we will see how things go on the rest of the trip to Columbus. 

I appreciate all the comments and support from you folks. 

1 hour ago, Doug and Nicki said:

Not a chassis multiplex coach, thank God. I put a new flasher unit in it a couple years ago I just pulled and reseated it, so we will see how things go on the rest of the trip to Columbus. 

I appreciate all the comments and support from you folks. 

Good - then you have a coach like mine.  16 years ago when I took delivery of my coach in April 2007, I basically had the same problem. 

Adding a zip tie to hold the turn signal relay tightly in the socket fixed the problem.  It's been working fine ever since.

PXL_20230521_012358752.jpg