Found Another Fuel Filter for the First Time

Go to solution Solved by VinceB,

Just an FYI for anyone that has a similar coach to mine:

While digging into the underside of the coach looking for the air dump valves, my new mechanic noticed another fuel filter where it was not apparent there would be one.

All the fuel filters are on the passenger side. This new-found one is behind the AC condenser coil on the driver side - it is on the upper right of the bay close to the engine.

It was so dirty that it looked like a frame member. We don't think that it had ever been changed. My guess it is the last one before the engine so possibly the other filters were passing only clean fuel and so this one stayed clean.

2 hours ago, VinceB said:

It was so dirty that it looked like a frame member. We don't think that it had ever been changed. My guess it is the last one before the engine so possibly the other filters were passing only clean fuel and so this one stayed clean.

Yikes!

So it has no drain on the bottom? 

It's not a water separating filter?

1 hour ago, philcarrell said:

I would think it is a water filter, a WF2071 does not have a drain on bottom.

So, your saying a coolant filter?

I've never seen a water separating fuel filter that didn't have a drain on the bottom!

Then again, it may well be his final fuel filter, which wouldn't have a drain. 

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Are you sure that it is a fuel filter?

Does your engine have a coolant filter?

Yes and yes.

Coolant filter 24071 was replaced at this service.

The new-found filter on the driver's side was replaced with a 33783. 

So, your engine now has three fuel filters, two on the passenger side and one on the driver's side.

I would want to know how the three are plumbed if it were my coach, such that which one is the primary, which one is the secondary and the mysterious third one the "step child".

15 hours ago, VinceB said:

While digging into the underside of the coach looking for the air dump valves, my new mechanic noticed another fuel filter where it was not apparent there would be one.

All the fuel filters are on the passenger side. This new-found one is behind the AC condenser coil on the driver side - it is on the upper right of the bay close to the engine.

My 2002 Diplomat ISC-330 has the same filter in the condenser compartment it is a water separator.

Cliff 

17 hours ago, VinceB said:

We have the same on our 2000 Diplomat. I didn't find it till the second year of ownership. It too looked so dirty like it had never been changed. I would not think it to be the last filter in the line as there is another one on the passenger side of the engine that is likely the last filter in the line on ours. Yours may be different being a year newer.

2 hours ago, CLIFF918 said:

My 2002 Diplomat ISC-330 has the same filter in the condenser compartment it is a water separator.

Cliff 

Wow!

If it is indeed the original WS filter, that's amazing it never got plugged up in 20 odd years service!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

So, your engine now has three fuel filters, two on the passenger side and one on the driver's side.

I would want to know how the three are plumbed if it were my coach, such that which one is the primary, which one is the secondary and the mysterious third one the "step child".

Me too.  I plan to take a closer look tomorrow.  But given the number of lines and poor access I'm not optimistic about figuring it out.

3 hours ago, CLIFF918 said:

Cliff 

So do you have 2 or 3 fuel filters?

26 minutes ago, VinceB said:

Me too.  I plan to take a closer look tomorrow.  But given the number of lines and poor access I'm not optimistic about figuring it out.

So do you have 2 or 3 fuel filters?

2 the one in the condenser compartment and one on the engine.

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Wow!

If it is indeed the original WS filter, that's amazing it never got plugged up in 20 odd years service!

Ben,

That compartment is just behind the rear wheel. All of the road crap gets thrown up into this area so it might look old and cruddy on the outside.

Mine looks dirty but was just changed last year.  

• Thanks 1

• Solution
On 5/15/2023 at 10:16 AM, CLIFF918 said:

2 the one in the condenser compartment and one on the engine.

I was able to climb under the coach today and this is the arrangement I have as well. 

Never having specifically looked with a flashlight, I assumed both filters were on the same side. 

Bottom line is that the best I can surmise from my receipts is that the driver side filter was on for at least 3 years. Or I was being charged for filters that I wasn’t getting which would make it a lot longer. 

At least my new mechanic is sharp and honest. And I’m that much more familiar with my coach.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, Ivylog said:

So much for needing to change the fuel filters every year.

Filters become more efficient after some time because the fluid or gas flow is increasingly restricted, that is filtered, the purpose of the filter. The process is not completely understood however particles seem to wind up in higher flow regions, passing thru the larger  holes in the filter and blocking them  .  Also changing light viscosity lubricants too often is detrimental  because the  natural shearing action of  the mechanical processes  homogenizes, that is,  reduces the long chain molecules into short chains.  Which is a necessary characteristic  of a good lubricant. Ford Motor Co did a study some years ago which demonstrated that oil achieved it's best lubricating property, pre synthetic, after 3000 miles. One reason that synthetic lubricants are superior  is that they have more uniformly short molecules and fewer abrasive long chain molecules.

Edited by Gary Cole