Transmission Cooler/Radiator TSI/TSB 124

Go to solution Solved by tmw188,

Do any of you have this TSI or TSB Bulletin #124 that was out there for some of our coaches back in and around early 2002-2006ish? Trying to locate the actual bulletin from Monaco and NHTSA. I have the affected coach list but looking for the actual document. 

We’ll soon after my original posting above I had a friend send me this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101019&d=143

Edited by tmw188

Todd,

That is your Coach Number which refers to a series of production numbers as to when the coach was built in sequence.

My previous Windsor Coach number is 127392 which doesn't fall within the series of affected Windsor coaches, 132341 - 134832.

Look on your Data Card, it should be there.

Just looked at the Window Sticker for the Dynasty and it is on that. It is also on the weight placard listed as the Unit # but you only use the last 6 digits. I haven't found the data card for the Dynasty yet but I am sure it will be on that also as that's where I found it for the Windsor.

Not sure if REV would provide but you can try and get it here

https://www.monacocoach.com/contact-us/

Years ago when Monaco still had a technical services dept I called and asked for them to send me a copy of the Data Card and MSRP, and they did.  REV may not have these on file anymore.  The Data card is a list of a lot of the components used to build your coach including axles, engine, transmission, microwave, water heater, stereo equipment etc. 

If this thread is referring to the trans cooler located INSIDE the engine coolant radiator:

I was leery of having the problem of engine coolant getting into the trans (even though my coach was not one of the affected ones) before my trip to Alaska in 2016.  I added a remote trans cooler in the rear of the coach and used a high-powered electric fan to cool it.  Had to make up new hoses, of course.  The trans fluid no longer goes through the engine coolant radiator.  It comes straight from the trans and goes to the added cooler.

• Like 2

Glad you chimed in Van, I was hoping you would.  

You had provided me with the info on how you did the install and in turn I added an auxillary cooler because I was having problems with the CG&J  radiator that I used didn't seem to provide sufficient cooling.   So I added a Derale oil cooler in series with the in radiator cooler.  I am now seriously considering bypassing the radiator transmission cooler. 

1 hour ago, vanwill52 said:

If this thread is referring to the trans cooler located INSIDE the engine coolant radiator:

I was leery of having the problem of engine coolant getting into the trans (even though my coach was not one of the affected ones) before my trip to Alaska in 2016.  I added a remote trans cooler in the rear of the coach and used a high-powered electric fan to cool it.  Had to make up new hoses, of course.  The trans fluid no longer goes through the engine coolant radiator.  It comes straight from the trans and goes to the added cooler.

Van, yes it is about the cooler inside the radiator issue. I’ve seen a picture of your modification you and Jacwjames have both made.  I’m of the understanding based on the TSI 124 the side radiator models wasn’t recommended to do the stand alone cooler, but not sure why. I’ve recently became a victim. 

Edited by tmw188

I don't remember what the old radiator was made of that came out of our previous 02 Windsor. Here are the photos of the old one and the new one (aluminum) that CG&J (aka Bryce) had built to replace it.

The old one had failed at the bottom which started to drip coolant on our trip back from Alaska. Two bottles of Irontite stopped the leak allowing me to drive another 5000 miles to Gadsden AL where the new one was installed.

Old Radiator-01.jpg

Old Radiator-02.jpg

New Radiator-01.jpg

New Radiator-02.jpg

I also installed a CG&J radiator back in 2015, at the time $2650 delivered.  Cummins installed it. 

I only took one long trip in Oct 2015 after that and I remember in Albuquerque while climbing a long gradual grade the alarm on my Silverleaf started sounding off and I saw higher transmission temps, dropped it into a lower gear to increase RPMs and didn't think anything of after that.   Then started building a house which is a whole other story.

Then in 2021 I took a longer trip and did pay attention to tranny temps and did see higher temps, especially in stop and go traffic and on some grades.  I became paranoid.   Came back from that trip and parked the rig in the garage and the next morning I found coolant under the front side of the radiator.  I did the Irontite treatment Richard had recommended and that worked to solve the leak.

Then in late 2021 I took another trip out west, got stuck in stop and go traffic in Phoenix and the tranny temps went to +235 F.   Not a good feeling and got more paranoid and started noticing instances of higher temps.  When I'd back into my garage temps would go to +230F.  I contacted CG&J and enquired as to how they sized the tranny cooler, they couldn't tell me and offered NO support on helping me fix my problem other  then offering to sell me one of the smaller oil coolers for ~$750.   

I instead decided to install an auxiliary cooler similar to what VanWill had done.   That solved my problem, no more overheating, temps go to ~170-80F and cool right back down at idle.  I have a 140F thermstat switch that turns the fan on/off.  Seems to work pretty well

But now I'm worried about the radiator internal oil cooler as I left that in the loop.  Not sure if I should completely bypass the internal cooler or not. 

Another member having trouble with his 4000 series tranny overheating want Allison shop to hook up a cooler and they wouldn't do it.   Previous post implies that Monaco was installing remote coolers to bypass the ones in the tranny.  

But from my work experience with large underground mining equipment.  This equipment had multiple remote oil coolers mounted to be able to maintain temps in engine, tranny, and hydraulics.  All the coolers were usually mounted a distance from the component that it was installed for, because of tight areas, access, and being in the cooler air streams instead of stuck down in a compartment.   I'm sure the engineers accounted for the hose distance and size to accommodate the flow rates and limit the back pressure in the components. 

On 5/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, vanwill52 said:

Hi Van, do you have another thread or more info on how you did this mod? I'm currently in the process of replacing my radiator, hoses, water pump, etc. I have an external transmission cooler in line with the lower radiator hose. Its about 4"x4" square and 24" long. It's horribly rusted and I would like to get rid of it and at the same time eliminate any transmission/coolant contamination issues. I've seen a couple other threads where guys add an external cooler/fan combo and I would like to know more about yours.