Has anyone added an EGT probe and gauge to their DP?

Just curious how many of you have done this. I have always had a pyrometer gauge in my diesel pickup trucks and found it very useful. A lot of my future travels in the DP will be climbing the mountains outside of Phoenix and figured a EGT gauge would be beneficial. I'm currently in the process of some major work on my Windsor and have the turbo removed. I was thinking this would be the perfect time to drill and tap the exhaust manifold for a pyro probe. Maybe at the very minimum drill/tap and plug for a future probe install. 

The Banks kit is around $300, not bad for a very useful piece of info. Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

I have the banks kit including the larger turbo housing on my motorhome with a boost gauge and a Pyrometer. Both the boost gauge and the pyrometer will tell you if you start to create a boost leak in your system so I do think it’s a very useful tool.

• Like 2

Back in 2013, I had Banks install the Banks Power Pack to my 2002 Monaco Windsor ISC-350 which included a set of two new gauges, an EGT and a Boost.

Loved the Power Pack and the EGT gauge. My boost went from about 24 to 32.

Too bad they abandon the Power Pack due to their supplier had stopped producing the Ottomind Controller. Banks' sales department decided that it would not be profitable to design and build their in-house controller, bummer.

• Like 1

DEF4BCC9-8A4E-45C4-88DE-9C481CE2B59F.thumb.jpeg.2107f1fbc6c287307cd99a15400bc32e.jpeg

When I added my FASS pump to my 2000 Dynasty (ISC), I also added the EGT gauge and a gauge for the fuel pressure after all the filters. Ran those wires at the same time. 

I used ISSPRO gauges, they matched the look of my other gauges pretty good. I have really liked the EGT gauge because I think it helps me drive better in the mountains (a lot of my time is spend in Utah mountains).  The other item that really helps it my Silverleaf computer because it shows the exact engine temp and the engine load.  All those help me drive better in the mountains. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I'll go ahead and add this project to my list. Really makes it easier with my turbo already removed and I happen to have a 3/4 pvc conduit that runs from the engine bay to the front of the coach which makes running wires a cinch. 

• Like 1

All the Cummins techs that have presented at Rallys have said that unless you have modified your engine, there are sufficient controls that you can't damage the engine.  The computer will derate the engine to protect itself.   That said, I would not drive my chipped Ford diesel pulling my boat over tye mountains without a pyrometer. I know I can exceed max temp on the Ford after being chipped. 

- Rick N 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

All the Cummins techs that have presented at Rallys have said that unless you have modified your engine, there are sufficient controls that you can't damage the engine.  The computer will derate the engine to protect itself.   That said, I would not drive my chipped Ford diesel pulling my boat over tye mountains without a pyrometer. I know I can exceed max temp on the Ford after being chipped. 

- Rick N 

Yeah I agree, I tend to kind of geek out with the diesel stuff and having more info the better. With my built up Duramax, my added pyrometer taught me how to drive a diesel especially in the mountains towing a heavy load.

• Like 1