Joys of joys! Moving on to the skylight

Mine was rivets and screws. Every where screws were used the skylight was cracked. Put super small washer under screws then used Eternabond and self leveling caulking along edges of eternabond.IMG_1397.thumb.jpeg.1b766e0abf7e84d2e7487d0ca4f16a47.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gary M said:

Mine was rivets and screws. Every where screws were used the skylight was cracked. Put super small washer under screws then used Eternabond and self leveling caulking along edges of eternabond.IMG_1397.thumb.jpeg.1b766e0abf7e84d2e7487d0ca4f16a47.jpeg

Looks great! Man the tar tape is tough 

• Like 2

Well, weather is turning fast so got it in. I’ll have to come back and maybe do what Gary did, add some tape to cover the stained areas from the tar. Maybe tape off and add more Sika 

IMG_8073.jpegUsed everyone of these tools 

IMG_8074.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow
Added pic
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Good looking job. I think to remember Van Williams' ultimate solution to avoiding cracks by fabricating an aluminum frame that sandwiches the layers. Of course, Van is a master fabricator.

Thanks!
It’s a one piece skylight, and I used the rivet gun. Just the right about of tension to squish the self leveling without breaking the plastic. Worked slick 

• Like 2

I replaced the skylight on my Dynasty last year. I noticed in the video above that there was two layers of skylight one clear and one tinted. When I removed mine it was just one tinted skylight and that’s what I put back on. I don’t know if was the original skylight but did they come from the factory with two layers? 

50 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

I replaced the skylight on my Dynasty last year. I noticed in the video above that there was two layers of skylight one clear and one tinted. When I removed mine it was just one tinted skylight and that’s what I put back on. I don’t know if was the original skylight but did they come from the factory with two layers? 

My 08 Dynasty has two layers. I just replaced mine after absentmindedly stepping on it. It was very brittle, so needed replacing anyway. 

IMG_3367.jpeg

See Paul's picture above.

That's what I 'assume' yours should look like with the outer dome removed, but, we both have '08 models, and I really don't know what year they switched to an internal mounted lower dome.

Regardless, your skylight should have two layers to keep heat in.

Edited by 96 EVO

Mine got taken out by a hailstorm last year. It was a double pane with an outer hard plastic cover with a softer inner liner. They were glued together. Luckily only the outer was cracked. I just ordered two skylights, one 2” lower than the other and doubled them up. I used one size larger stainless steel screws and sealed it up. It’s been good so far. 

Edited by dennis.mcdonaugh