Stuck in Alaska with an Allison code P 0729

Go to solution Solved by Jim Wallace,

Stuck in AZ!!

We got the cause and estimate for our transmission issues.

It turns out Transmission fluid had seeped into the wiring harness causing voltage problems which lead to the sensors not working correctly. The shop has ordered a new wiring harness and seal plus a few other parts. The parts were cheap at less than $500 including fluid, the labor though is almost $4000.

Should be done next week.

thanks again for all the help.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:53 AM, Doug Hoegh said:

Jim. Once the coach is fixed we are headed home to Colorado. We have commitments that can’t be missed latter part of July.  Hope Freightliner NW can get on the job soon and it goes well.  We will see.  Life is an adventure.  And thanks so much for the turn by turn directions. I’ll get over to the clubhouse where we are staying with my computer and google map it to confirm I’ve got it correct.  I’m also going to check again with Good Sams, hoping to get a different agent.  It was interesting when talking to the guy. He was not a Good Sams employee, instead worked for their contracted company that makes the arrangements with towing companies and garages.

@Doug Hoegh

Just a followup.  My DW has a favorite (was mine of course) "Eagle" T shirt from the preserve and we were in Hanes (Haines?) Alaska and she asked if you were still stranded?  When convenient, please update us.  Hope all is well...

Thanks,

Alaska Marine Highway leaves Monday night so we have two more wakeups to go. The small town of Haines gets a little smaller every day but we have had wonderful weather since the fourth. We attended the local parade, town picnic and fireworks display. Salmon are starting to run so every night we look for grizzlies and eagles. Did see four bears Thursday night. It still hard to grasp being out at 11:00 and it’s still light.  Looking forward to the boat ride and getting the coach looked at in Washington. Trying to ignore the cost. Lemonade from Lemons as they say. Best to all. Doug

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Alaska Marine Highway leaves Monday night so we have two more wakeups to go. The small town of Haines gets a little smaller every day but we have had wonderful weather since the fourth. We attended the local parade, town picnic and fireworks display. Salmon are starting to run so every night we look for grizzlies and eagles. Did see four bears Thursday night. It still hard to grasp being out at 11:00 and it’s still light.  Looking forward to the boat ride and getting the coach looked at in Washington. Trying to ignore the cost. Lemonade from Lemons as they say. Best to all. Doug

DW hopes you got to do Eagle Preserve float trip, with guide.  That was one of the highlights of our 2 week stay.  Good luck.  See if you can exorcise the demons while in the open seas….

Glad you have taken advantage of the surroundings and not spend considerable time with therapist, Dr. Jack Daniels or his Canadian counterpart, Dr. Crown Royal….

On 6/19/2023 at 5:41 PM, Doug Hoegh said:

06 Diplomat with ISL400/Allison 3000.  On our way to Alaska my transmission went into limp mode and is stuck in third.   When it does this the two digit display on the shift pad indicates the right digit only as three and the check transmission light comes on. If I stop and turn off the coach the check transmission light will go out and the keypad goes back to 6/1. But then if accelerating goes back to the single 3 and check light returns. From the research I’ve found it either points to a sixth speed ratio issue or a speed sensor issue. We are in Haines and I can’t find any help so far but still looking. I’m going to confirm the connections at the twenty pin connector is tight and. It damaged. Looking for any other ideas. Thanks. Doug

Dough. I faced the same problem a month ago. Lock in gear. Only one digit (the gear on lock) show in display. Speedometer also stop working. When turned engine off for a while, everything OK for a few km. I checked connectors, checked the resistansen on the output of the RPM sensor on the back of gear. Everything look good. Ended up changing the RPM sensor and everything OK. Only thing that was badly hurt was the wallet. Insane item price😡

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Dough. I faced the same problem a month ago. Lock in gear. Only one digit (the gear on lock) show in display. Speedometer also stop working. When turned engine off for a while, everything OK for a few km. I checked connectors, checked the resistansen on the output of the RPM sensor on the back of gear. Everything look good. Ended up changing the RPM sensor and everything OK. Only thing that was badly hurt was the wallet. Insane item price😡

Very similar situation. We are stuck in third, but will start in first if shutting off the coach. And the expenses are piling up and still not at the shop. Arrive Washington Friday morning

I am surprised there isn't any shop around there that would drop bottom controls of the transmission and figured it out if that's where the problem really is. Does not appear to me to be anything related to the frictions and such granting tranny removal. I can imagine the ferry costing about same as a tranny.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

I am surprised there isn't any shop around there that would drop bottom controls of the transmission and figured it out if that's where the problem really is.

The solenoid rebuild kit isn't all that expensive. Pretty much any transmission mechanic could do it. I'd probably try it myself. Not much to lose at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:
4 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

The solenoid rebuild kit isn't all that expensive. Pretty much any transmission mechanic could do it. I'd probably try it myself. Not much to lose at this point. 

My style too, the control block is heavy but a jack would do.

Edited by Ivan K

21 hours ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Very similar situation. We are stuck in third, but will start in first if shutting off the coach. And the expenses are piling up and still not at the shop. Arrive Washington Friday morning

Doug I saw in an earlier post you had mentioned Motor Trucks in Mt Vernon. Someone had given you a long roundabout way to get there. Much shorter to route to get there and on back roads. However as the ferry docks in Bellingham there are 3 shops at least that should be able to help out. Motor Trucks has a dealership here as well as Pape Kenworth. There is also an independent shop Zender Truck Repair who the company I retired from used for things our shop couldn't do. All 3 are less than 8 miles no freeway driving from the ferry dock. Good luck and if you need other local info PM me as I am local to the area. Don.