Stuck in Alaska with an Allison code P 0729

Go to solution Solved by Jim Wallace,

• Solution

Doug, if your ferry transportation stops in Anacortes Wa, which it should. I would get off there instead of Seattle. Mount Vernon is with 15 miles as opposed to 55 from Seattle. This you may already know, but if not, now you do. Best of luck to you Doug.

17 hours ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Update our situation. After talking with my Allison dealer in Denver they showed me how to receive additional codes through the keypad. So I have three. 1. 6th gear not synch’d 2. Second gear not synch’d 3. Second gear valve stuck closed. The last code sunk my hopes for a quick fix. This valve is in the valve body assembly accessed by dropping the pan. So started to call around for help. Dealer in Whitehorse is 2 1/2 weeks out and couldn’t guarantee even then when they could get to me plus it’s a 250 mile tow round trip because there isn’t any heavy towing or trucks in Haines. Next option was Anchorage. If it’s even further away. So we made the decision to abandon Alaska and we a loading the coach on the Alaskan Ferry System and sailing to Seattle. Even that isn’t easy with the next open scheduled ship July 10th. So we are hanging in Haines until July with an appointment with Northwest Freightliner an authorized Allison dealer in Mt Vernon Washington. 

Ouch..that sucks Doug…my thoughts as a motor home owner would be tow it to Whitehorse or Lowbed it and there is some truck repair places there leave it to get repair remember you have American money to our Canadian 73 cent dollar fly home or rent a car do a trip to Dawson city or something while repairs are done. To ship it by ferry isn’t cheap 

22 hours ago, Gary Cole said:

After reading many posts of this sort I looked at my schematic some time ago and noticed that there were 2 sensors that could shut down or disable. Maybe more, didn't spend too much time looking at. One was a n.o. contact and the other was a resistance sensor. I thought at the time that they could be bypassed quite easily and temporarily with a jumper and a fixed resistor. Many of the problems were wiring or faulty sensor related. Wonder if any of the trans gurus here  have given this method of getting home any serious thought? I really hate being stranded and at the mercy of the closest mechanic. 

Dr4. 
yes I have the ignition switch in the on position and the selector lights up red NN

Patrick. We confirmed through additional codes on the keypad that I have a stuck second gear valve in the valve body. The Allison dealer in Whitehorse is 2 plus weeks out and even then they could not confirm when we could get a heavy haul to come to Haines and retrieve us so we’re now scheduled to put the coach on the Alaskan Maritime Ferry to Washington. We were able to get a cabin so we are making lemonade out of lemons. Life goes on. I’m just glad I have reserved funds for these kind of days. I can’t imagine for those that do not. It would be devastating. 

Edited by Doug Hoegh

Update: Talked to Allison and they were not sure of what the issue is, stated it could be old fluid and just needs changed. They were very helpful though as mentioned.

fun part: we have good sam roadside assistance with free towing to closest repair shop. Allison gave me some recommendations but they are not a contracted provider for good sam. Good Sam then called me back and said they found a service shop to do the repairs, I called said shop, they don’t work on class As. 

i guess tomorrow we will follow the tow truck around until it ends up at a shop that will service it.

3 hours ago, vito.a said:

Doug, what's the temperature there?  Sometimes those shuttle valves like to stick in cold temperatures.  Maybe try it again during the warmest time of the day.  

Good luck!

Not Doug, but in Anchorage it’s overcast, rainy, and about 60°F today; high 40s at night.  I think Doug is a bit southeast of here. 

…tomorrow night I can tell you the temp in Atlanta (home). 😉

1 hour ago, TW Racing said:

Update: Talked to Allison and they were not sure of what the issue is, stated it could be old fluid and just needs changed. They were very helpful though as mentioned.

fun part: we have good sam roadside assistance with free towing to closest repair shop. Allison gave me some recommendations but they are not a contracted provider for good sam. Good Sam then called me back and said they found a service shop to do the repairs, I called said shop, they don’t work on class As. 

i guess tomorrow we will follow the tow truck around until it ends up at a shop that will service it.

How long have you owned the MH?  what is the mileage?  Do you have any records.  Allison recommends, assuming you do have the 3000 MH, then the service recommendations are a complete filter and fluid change (19 Quarts) every 48 months….regardless of mileage assuming you don’t drive 300K in that period.

Most use the genuine Transynd Allison. TES-295.  There are some that meet the TES spec….and are “authorized” by Allison.  Many, myself included, stick with Allison OEM.  Mobil Delvac has a TES-295 alternative that would be my second choice….

It is IMPERATIVE that Transynd be used.  The OTHER issue is FAKE Filters.  Some importers have actually duplicated the packaging.  Do NOT let them use s filter that was NOT sold by an authorized Allison distributor or service facility…..not something you can order off Amazon to be the real thing….

We to were having trans problems a few years back. it turned out to be simple a weather protected 30 amp fuse from the positive battery post that went directly to the trans was bad. It would go into limp mode and then wouldn't move then later it would run.  The fuse block would get hot and short out then cool down and work again. It was an old diesel mechanic that went straight to it as his 1st point of interest. He said the Alleson transmissions were tough and rarely broke down in rvs due to the low mileages.  I would have never though the trans would have a direct link to the battery verses from a fuse block. 

22 hours ago, Jim Wallace said:

Doug, if your ferry transportation stops in Anacortes Wa, which it should. I would get off there instead of Seattle. Mount Vernon is with 15 miles as opposed to 55 from Seattle. This you may already know, but if not, now you do. Best of luck to you Doug.

Jim. The ferry lands in Bellingham and from what I can see on google map that will be about 26 miles north of Mt Vernon where Freightliner NW is located. I have talked to them from here by phone and they seem to be a decent place.  Reviews are also decent.  Do you live in the area or know anything about them?

1 hour ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Jim. The ferry lands in Bellingham and from what I can see on google map that will be about 26 miles north of Mt Vernon where Freightliner NW is located. I have talked to them from here by phone and they seem to be a decent place.  Reviews are also decent.  Do you live in the area or know anything about them?

Yes Doug, we live in Port Angeles Wa and know the area well. We just spent a week in the Mount Vernon area. I have not had any experience with this repair shop as I have a well experienced repair shop in Sequim. But my Dutchstar that I owned previous to my Windsor had receipts from work done there. I have not heard any negative remarks concerning this shop. Mt. Vernon is a downward slope from Bellingham, so whether your being towed there or limping there, it will be an easy transition for you, Doug. If you want to take in some sight seeing in the area, i recommend. Anacortes, Whidby Island and La Conner  to the west of Mt Vernon, try some Dungeness crab from vendors at these ports. Mt Baker area and Bellingham to the north. Nothing really worthwhile to the south, especially in Seattle these days. Again, best of luck. 

DR4 nothing happens besides flash N and back to NN. We got a tow truck coming in a few hours so hopefully we find out what’s wrong with it today. Dealing with Good Sam has been difficult as they only tow to a few locations in Flagstaff AZ. Both said they don’t work on Class A RVs so we will see what the plan is. I hope they only work on them for Good Sam by contract. I will update as the day goes.

40 minutes ago, TW Racing said:

DR4 nothing happens besides flash N and back to NN. We got a tow truck coming in a few hours so hopefully we find out what’s wrong with it today. Dealing with Good Sam has been difficult as they only tow to a few locations in Flagstaff AZ. Both said they don’t work on Class A RVs so we will see what the plan is. I hope they only work on them for Good Sam by contract. I will update as the day goes.

This a copy and paste from a “towing a motorhome” post.  @Dr4Film posted this.  It is a MANDATORY READ.

We have had members that sustained damages higher, much higher….than the original problem.  In one case, the tow truck operator purportedly was an expert….and then proceeded to drop the MH.  Not ONE, but TWICE….and finally, I believe a THIRD Time.  The damages approached $75 - $100K.  There was a running dispute between the tow insurance (can’t remember Coach Net or Good Sam.  Almost took a lawsuit, memory, to get the correct insurance carrier to finally “accept”.  The damages were to components not readily available and our member finally traded off the MH as it had lingering problems.  NEVER EVER trust tow truck drivers….we have had drivers that sheared the driveshaft as they pretended to remove the universal joint or used a piece of sewing thread to support it and drove it and the drive shaft fell down and was ground to oblivion.

IF the carriers don’t handle Class A, throw them out.  Demand a LOW BOY trailer for transport….. Richard’ post follows….

I started with Coach-Net back in 2010 prior to leaving CA and traveling full-time. I am still with them and will not switch to any other ERS. I have had three different tows, one in Oregon, One on the Cassier Highway in northern British Columbia and one on I-81 in Virginia. Each time the tow company had to bring two trucks, one for the coach and one for my 30 foot cargo trailer I was towing at the time. The tow in northern BC would have cost me close to $7000 as it was over 200 miles one way. It only cost me a signature.

They have always dispatched the proper equipment to handle the job safely without causing any damage.I have put together a list of critical information needed whenever I have had to call them for a tow.  Here is the list below for my coach - 2002 Windsor.

Towing Information for Towing Company

Length of Coach = 41 Feet

Width of Coach = 108 inches

Weight of Coach = 36,000 lbs

Rating of Front Axle = 13,000 lbs

Rating of Rear Axle = 23,000 lbs

Total Weight Coach and Trailer = 48,000 lbs

Height of Coach = 12 Foot

Type of Suspension = Air Bag

How many Air Bags = 8 – 2 on each Wheel - Outboard

Front Cap Slide or No Slide = Front Cap Generator Slide

Transmission Model Number = Allison 3000MH

Distance from Front Cap to Front Axle = 96 inches

Clearance from Ground to Bottom of Coach = Varies

1 hour ago, TW Racing said:

It should have either gone into Oil Level mode or Diagnostic mode. Since it has NOT then you have something strange going on with your transmission that needs some professional expertise.

Good luck with your tow and repair. Don't forget to come back here and post what the shop finds and the fix.

Safe travels!

1 hour ago, Jim Wallace said:

Yes Doug, we live in Port Angeles Wa and know the area well. We just spent a week in the Mount Vernon area. I have not had any experience with this repair shop as I have a well experienced repair shop in Sequim. But my Dutchstar that I owned previous to my Windsor had receipts from work done there. I have not heard any negative remarks concerning this shop. Mt. Vernon is a downward slope from Bellingham, so whether your being towed there or limping there, it will be an easy transition for you, Doug. If you want to take in some sight seeing in the area, i recommend. Anacortes, Whidby Island and La Conner  to the west of Mt Vernon, try some Dungeness crab from vendors at these ports. Mt Baker area and Bellingham to the north. Nothing really worthwhile to the south, especially in Seattle these days. Again, best of luck. 

Jim I appreciate the ideas. We will have our Jeep to run around in and if the repairs take a few days and we can’t stay with the coach we will grab a nearby hotel.  I’m still contemplating whether to limp it down or find a tow company. My roadside is Good Sams and I had great service from them in 2016 when they hauled me 375 miles from outside Watson Lake Yukon to Ft Nelson BC for a radiator damage issue.  But this time when I called, they offered to haul me 84 miles from Haines to Juneau. I just could not get through to the agent that there wasn’t a road, only ocean.  If I do decide to limp it in to Mt Vernon are there back roads?  I can only go 30 miles per hour.

I want a secret wire that I can apply 5 volts to that tells Allison to shut up and quit arguing with me.  You are not low on oil honey. Forget about it. I just checked it for the 3rd time. The jacks are up. What do you know? Quit nagging. Stop worrying about the parking brake. My job. I'm not an idiot. I don't care if you aren't happy with 6th gear sync. Its probably all in your head. If not, my bad. If 3rd gear solenoid is cranky, well try one that showed up for work. We can do without 3rd gear today.  We'll worry about why later. Start turning those gears. I know its hot outside. Honey this is Grapevine Pass. Everyone is hot. Giddy Up. 

Moderator EDIT.  This is NOW a new topic and is here.  Please RESPOND THERE and disregard this one....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Jim I appreciate the ideas. We will have our Jeep to run around in and if the repairs take a few days and we can’t stay with the coach we will grab a nearby hotel.  I’m still contemplating whether to limp it down or find a tow company. My roadside is Good Sams and I had great service from them in 2016 when they hauled me 375 miles from outside Watson Lake Yukon to Ft Nelson BC for a radiator damage issue.  But this time when I called, they offered to haul me 84 miles from Haines to Juneau. I just could not get through to the agent that there wasn’t a road, only ocean.  If I do decide to limp it in to Mt Vernon are there back roads?  I can only go 30 miles per hour.

Ok Doug, here you go. It appears by map that when you exit the port you would go right onto Marine or Holly st. Just depends where you exit as Marine turns into Holly. Take Holly to Lakeway Dr, go left. Yew st go right heading south following to Samish rd. Go Left. Continue to highway 9 enter right heading South. Comes to hiway 20. Go right heading west to I5 then head south.  Exit at #225, Anderson rd. Go right at the fork and follow signs for the fairgrounds, merging onto Anderson rd. Heading to Old Highway 99 S go left. Then take a left on Jack's lane, where you want to be.

Depending on the time of day you come into Port I would call the Washington State Patrol and ask them if it's feasible to drive 30 mph from Bellingham to Mt. Vernon. Speed limits are, 60/65 under normal operation. Should you decide to drive I5 then follow directions from exiting.  All roads I have you on are main road arterials according to the map. The first time I used Good Sam, it was outstanding service. 2nd time, it was all business of prying money out of NY pocket. That's why I switched to Coachnet after purchasing the Windsor. Hope this option works for you. You are not going to be a problem with your speed the back way. And honestly, I5 south doesn't have much shoulder much of the way. Are you going to go back to Alaska, after your fixed?

4 hours ago, Jim Wallace said:

Ok Doug, here you go. It appears by map that when you exit the port you would go right onto Marine or Holly st. Just depends where you exit as Marine turns into Holly. Take Holly to Lakeway Dr, go left. Yew st go right heading south following to Samish rd. Go Left. Continue to highway 9 enter right heading South. Comes to hiway 20. Go right heading west to I5 then head south.  Exit at #225, Anderson rd. Go right at the fork and follow signs for the fairgrounds, merging onto Anderson rd. Heading to Old Highway 99 S go left. Then take a left on Jack's lane, where you want to be.

Depending on the time of day you come into Port I would call the Washington State Patrol and ask them if it's feasible to drive 30 mph from Bellingham to Mt. Vernon. Speed limits are, 60/65 under normal operation. Should you decide to drive I5 then follow directions from exiting.  All roads I have you on are main road arterials according to the map. The first time I used Good Sam, it was outstanding service. 2nd time, it was all business of prying money out of NY pocket. That's why I switched to Coachnet after purchasing the Windsor. Hope this option works for you. You are not going to be a problem with your speed the back way. And honestly, I5 south doesn't have much shoulder much of the way. Are you going to go back to Alaska, after your fixed?

Jim. Once the coach is fixed we are headed home to Colorado. We have commitments that can’t be missed latter part of July.  Hope Freightliner NW can get on the job soon and it goes well.  We will see.  Life is an adventure.  And thanks so much for the turn by turn directions. I’ll get over to the clubhouse where we are staying with my computer and google map it to confirm I’ve got it correct.  I’m also going to check again with Good Sams, hoping to get a different agent.  It was interesting when talking to the guy. He was not a Good Sams employee, instead worked for their contracted company that makes the arrangements with towing companies and garages.

Update:

So the tow truck arrived, highly recommend MURPHY’S Towing. Very knowledgeable and excellent to deal with.

Good Sam completely don’t know anything about RVs. The shop they sent us to does not work on class A , I told good Sam that and they said I was wrong. I spoke to the shop owner who told me they don’t service class As. Once there good sam said to tow to Velocity trucking who was who I originally advised as recommended by Allison Transmission.. this was if the tow company agreed to not charge them additional fees. 

The reputable tow company agreed as I had been through enough dealing with good sam. To top things off it’s my birthday.

I will update after I hear back from service center as by the time we got there they were closed. 
good night everyone.

Sorry to hear about the hassle dealing with "Bad Sam". Typical though as I have read WAY too many posts across many forums regarding their "excellent" service.

I won't have any ERS except Coach-Net. Had them since 2010 and just signed up for another 3 years.

Happy Birthday!

The latest update we got from the shop was a slight oil leak at the pan that rand down and into the wiring harness connection causing a short.

I should get a call tomorrow letting me know the time line on parts and repair and will update to get opinions. We are definitely rethinking this Good Sam thing and might make a change.

13 hours ago, TW Racing said:

The latest update we got from the shop was a slight oil leak at the pan that rand down and into the wiring harness connection causing a short.

I should get a call tomorrow letting me know the time line on parts and repair and will update to get opinions. We are definitely rethinking this Good Sam thing and might make a change.

If I understand, the short would (could) have interfered and not allowed you to use the diagnostics.  Taking that one step further, HOPEFULLY, the short did not cause any shifting or damage….so fixing the leak (presumably with new filters and gasket and new Transynd….recommended every 48 months), will get you going.  That would be great.

As a request from the “staff”, since you piggy backed on the original Alaska topic, could you put a lead in note on future posts… “update on being stuck in Arizona…”, that makes it easier to differentiate you from Doug, stuck in Alaska.  Thanks.