And now on to a new slide out cover

Did the bed slide last year and just wanted to get out and have fun, so put this one off till now.

Ran into solid frame on one side so of course the screws broke instantly. Drilled out and ran some sheet metal self tappers 

IMG_7999.jpeg

IMG_8012.jpeg

All I've got to say "pretty colors" for an rv

I replaced my toppers a couple of months ago. They are different than yours so I don't know if this would work for you.

One end of the topper has the load of the spring on it and the other end is free. On the drivers side I disconnect the free  end and was then able to slide out the topper. A screw driver in one of the holes will lock the tube while you're doing it.

On the passenger side the unloaded end was facing them awning so I wasn't able go that way. The other end was loaded with spring tension and I didn't want to release it.

Solution: Notch one of the end plate holes. Now all I have to do to change the topper is remove the 2 screws in the cover, unroll the tube and lock and slide the topper out.

Oh, I did brake a couple of screws on the driver side before I got smart.

PXL_20230405_214222213.jpg

5 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

I replaced my toppers a couple of months ago. They are different than yours so I don't know if this would work for you.

One end of the topper has the load of the spring on it and the other end is free. On the drivers side I disconnect the free  end and was then able to slide out the topper. A screw driver in one of the holes will lock the tube while you're doing it.

On the passenger side the unloaded end was facing them awning so I wasn't able go that way. The other end was loaded with spring tension and I didn't want to release it.

Solution: Notch one of the end plate holes. Now all I have to do to change the topper is remove the 2 screws in the cover, unroll the tube and lock and slide the topper out.

Oh, I did brake a couple of screws on the driver side before I got smart.

PXL_20230405_214222213.jpg

Yeah these are new, lippert. They had some wonky topper that you could pull down over the window and secure it to the side. The topper itself was too short to make it to the ends of the slide. So never sure if it’s value. These cover the whole slide, feel a little more protection from leaks 

I went the opposite route and converted my coach last month to “true Toppers” open in Eugene, Oregon and I am happy I did it. You can find videos on YouTube to show what they are.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

I went the opposite route and converted my coach last month to “true Toppers” open in Eugene, Oregon and I am happy I did it. You can find videos on YouTube to show what they are.

I’ve seen those on James’s YouTube channel. Pretty slick 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, timaz996 said:

How are you liking the look?  Both my rear slide toppers are due and I was thinking about going the tru topper route instead of the same old same old. Seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to service the slide seals when you use that option. 

4 minutes ago, BigJereL said:

How are you liking the look?  Both my rear slide toppers are due and I was thinking about going the tru topper route instead of the same old same old. Seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to service the slide seals when you use that option. 

I like them very much. Here is a picture with the slides closed.

True Toppers.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't Girard make some of the toppers for our rigs? IIRC, Lippert bought them.

I would love to install True Toppers and Seamless Slides, but my budget.....

Edited by FLynes

One incident, does NOT a conclusion make, unless one is biased and dictatorial.....BUT...

We had a former member who was "VERY MUCH OF MEANS".  He purchased a "factory reconditioned" Newell and was within reasonable driving distance of the factory.  He kept it for a few years.  He said he rarely made one trip without having to take it back in and leave it for a while, supposedly under the reconditioned warranty....but usually wrote or charged a 4 digit (left of the decimal) amount to his credit card....and often the first digit was getting closer to making the repair a 5 digit number.  

He sold it and bought a new, soon to be orphaned,  2009 Camelot.  He kept it for many years and did a few things to it....added some upgrades.  He never had any major expenses....the most was a "Lost the Coolant recirculating pump on the Aquahot" and that was a $250 event that was fixed during the tune up at the ABQ Balloon Festival.  We camped with him a few times.

He DID expand his VFE (Vast Financial Empire) upon Full Time retirement....and finally traded in the Camelot and got a top end Newmar....the one about twice the MSRP as his Camelot....the Newell was 4 times that amount, say 10 years ago.  He is enjoying his Newmar and doesn't have to have a line of credit at a dealer or repair shop...

ONE NEVER KNOWS....

15 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

One incident, does NOT a conclusion make, unless one is biased and dictatorial.....BUT...

We had a former member who was "VERY OF MEANS".  He purchased a "factory reconditioned" Newell and was within reasonable driving distance of the factory.  He kept it for a few years.  He said he rarely made one trip without having to take it back in and leave it for a while, supposedly under the reconditioned warranty....but usually wrote or charged a 4 digit (left of the decimal) amount to his credit card....and often the first digit was getting closer to making the repair a 5 digit number.  

He sold it and bought an new, soon to be orphaned,  2009 Camelot.  He kept it for many years and did a few things to it....added some upgrades.  He never had any major expenses....the most was a "Lost the Coolant recirculating pump on the Aquahot" and that was a $250 event that was fixed during the tune up at the ABQ Balloon Festival.  We camped with him a few times.

He DID expand his VFE (Vast Financial Empire) upon Full Time retirement....and finally traded in the Camelot and got a top end Newmar....the one about twice the MSRP as his Camelot....the Newell was 4 times that amount, say 10 years ago.  He is enjoying his Newmar and doesn't have to have a line of credit at a dealer or repair shop...

ONE NEVER KNOWS....

I believe it! I guess I was going off the price. My $30k Monaco Vs $2million Newell as the extremes of the cost spectrum.

Not to get off topic, but it’s the nitnoy items that are nickel and dining me…redoing the carpet and hard flooring, fixing the sunk-in Corian stovetop, tires, shocks, trac bar, steering stabilizer, fluids & filters, new steps (that one was all me), exhaust from the cat back, and now exhaust gaskets. Thankfully I’m handy with a wrench, but my back and knees aren’t what they were 30 years ago. Many of these issues are fixing P.O. neglect, and I’m hoping I’m at the end of that road.

Edited by FLynes

16 minutes ago, FLynes said:

Not to get off topic, but it’s the nitnoy items that are nickel and dining me…redoing the carpet and hard flooring, fixing the sunk-in Corian stovetop, tires, shocks, trac bar, steering stabilizer, fluids & filters, new steps (that one was all me), exhaust from the cat back, and now exhaust gaskets. Thankfully I’m handy with a wrench, but my back and knees aren’t what they were 30 years ago. Many of these issues are fixing P.O. neglect, and I’m hoping I’m at the end of that road.

I hear ya! I’d be sunk if I couldn’t do most of this on my own. In fact only reason I thought of an older coach is the fact I could work on it. 

And go off topic if you want. It’s my thread and I won’t throw a fit here r we ramble. I love to ramble 

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
42 minutes ago, FLynes said:

I’m hoping I’m at the end of that road.

That road goes in a circle.    💫🛠️

28 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yep, it's a 'roundabout'!

“Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament.”