Volvo Burp Tank Replacement

Go to solution Solved by jimc99999,

Our 2002 F53 based tank leaked.  I replaced it with the same (plug n play, least cost).  I figured if it lasted 19 years (2020) it would go another 19 without issue.  It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the Dynasty. 

Just my 2c,

- bob

26 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Our 2002 F53 based tank leaked.  I replaced it with the same (plug n play, least cost).  I figured if it lasted 19 years (2020) it would go another 19 without issue.  It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the Dynasty. 

Just my 2c,

- bob

But they don't make things the same as they did 20 years ago, lol

• Solution
On 6/22/2023 at 1:59 PM, CarolR said:

I looked at these and the reviews said they didn't last long.  Your is holding up?

I replaced mine with that Dorman in 2019 and it still looks new after 25K miles. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CarolR said:

Nice catch!  I ended up fixing this one with JB Weld for plastic, will see how it holds up!

Not MH tested, but field experience.  Memory says the JB Weld for plastic is much “thinner” or viscous and can be difficult to get a thicker coat on for tensile strength.  I had a CPVC irrigation T that had a long crack past where the pipe was glued in.  A real PITA if i had had to dig it up….there were other pipes adjacent and i would have had to cut and replace them.  I tried the Plastic.  80%….but still a small “seep”.  I then used the Clear JB & a thin layer of fiberglass cloth.  Success.  i probably could have recoated with the Plastic and used two coats to impregnate the fiberglass cloth.  This was 65 PSI water.  I left the hole open for a week and ran the irrigation.  No issues.

Just my experience.  If mine cracks, me and JB will try to repair and I will use a layer of fiberglass cloth.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Not MH tested, but field experience.  Memory says the JB Weld for plastic is much “thinner” or viscous and can be difficult to get a thicker coat on for tensile strength.  I had a CPVC irrigation T that had a long crack past where the pipe was glued in.  A real PITA if i had had to dig it up….there were other pipes adjacent and i would have had to cut and replace them.  I tried the Plastic.  80%….but still a small “seep”.  I then used the Clear JB & a thin layer of fiberglass cloth.  Success.  i probably could have recoated with the Plastic and used two coats to impregnate the fiberglass cloth.  This was 65 PSI water.  I left the hole open for a week and ran the irrigation.  No issues.

Just my experience.  If mine cracks, me and JB will try to repair and I will use a layer of fiberglass cloth.

This was just a small leak in the seam on the front edge and I did end up doing 2 applications.  The first one did pretty well but there must have been a air bubble in the coat and it made for a weak spot that created pin hole leak.  I ended up putting a solid glass bead in it and adding the second layer after sanding and cleaning.  Only time will tell but for now the annoying drip is fixed.   Fiberglass probably would have been a great idea.  If it starts to leak again I will up my game, lol  I used the tan so it kind of matches the old tank. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Isn't the OEM tank made of polypropylene?  I find it impossible to glue or weld. 

Keep an eye on it

- bob

You may be right.  The solvent or plasticizer in the JB Weld tends to crosslink well to many “materials”.  Yes Polypropylene is supposedly not one of them.  The tannish color of the material has also been “I THINK IT IS” called a fiberglass reinforced nylon.  Supposedly only plastic welding works for either.

Loctite also advertises 3 or so products that will repair Polypropylene….but no structural or tensile strength properties are listed.

Finally, our friends at REV now make a welded steel (powder coated) as a replacement that will “fit” MONACO & HR.  it is upwards approaching $400…but it look’s designed for a Sherman tank application….

i guess we see how the fix lasts.  Not surprisingly the first coat didn’t seal as any minute air bubble or void or crack will (is prone to) leak.  But a reinforcement like FG cloth adds strength.  Here is the REV…..

https://rveliteparts.com/products/rev-rv-01806583st-radiator-coolant-reservoir-steel

• Like 1