Dometic ac freeze issue

Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

Just looking for info on a Dometic ac freezing up some. A looks like it may be dirty coils. Will clean those today. Looking for info on possibility of a Freon leak. Could that be my issue which is much bigger it appears. Thank you 

• Solution
1 hour ago, Coach J said:

Just looking for info on a Dometic ac freezing up some. A looks like it may be dirty coils. Will clean those today. Looking for info on possibility of a Freon leak. Could that be my issue which is much bigger it appears. Thank you 

The two most common reasons for coils freezing are low refrigerant and dirty evaporator coils. As this is a closed system and freon leaks would disable the system, I would suggest the most likely reason is dirty coils. Since this is *likely* a heat pump, both indoor and outdoor coils need to be cleaned. I vacuum the coils, then use coil cleaner spray.  Put plastic and towels on the bed / floor / whatever inside the coach under the units.  Although most of the coil cleaning is done from the roof, it WILL leak through to the inside.

Here is the coil cleaner I used last time.  You can find it (or a comparable alternative) at a local hardware store, or get it on Amazon.

https://a.co/d/aCK5AW9

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

The two most common reasons for coils freezing are low refrigerant and dirty evaporator coils. As this is a closed system and freon leaks would disable the system, I would suggest the most likely reason is dirty coils. Since this is *likely* a heat pump, both indoor and outdoor coils need to be cleaned. I vacuum the coils, then use coil cleaner spray.  Put plastic and towels on the bed / floor / whatever inside the coach under the units.  Although most of the coil cleaning is done from the roof, it WILL leak through to the inside.

Here is the coil cleaner I used last time.  You can find it (or a comparable alternative) at a local hardware store, or get it on Amazon.

Bought the cleaner you suggested, and clean all of the coils. Seems as if it has for the time being solve the problem. They probably need it again but thank you.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Can you please tell me if the inside leakage you discussed should last for a day or so?  All of a sudden I am getting a pretty good bit of water dripping into the Rv from the ac unit. The drain pan is empty so i is not a full drain pan. I cannot really tell where it’s coming from and I did the cleaning 2 days ago. Just your thoughts. Thank you 

1 hour ago, Coach J said:

Can you please tell me if the inside leakage you discussed should last for a day or so?  All of a sudden I am getting a pretty good bit of water dripping into the Rv from the ac unit. The drain pan is empty so i is not a full drain pan. I cannot really tell where it’s coming from and I did the cleaning 2 days ago. Just your thoughts. Thank you 

The leakage I referred to was simply the coil cleaner dripping from the coils.  That should clear up in a couple of hours at most.  Our Diplomats don’t have drain lines, so the condensate (drip) pans drain directly onto the roof.  If the foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit is compromised, if can allow condensate to drain back into the AC opening.  The gasket is not very expensive, but replacing it requires removing the four bolts that hold it down and disconnecting any power and control wires that run through the opening.  Shut the AC power off before attempting this!  Here’s a decent video explaining it; there are others that go into more detail.  The Steele Rubber gaskets he suggests are good, or you can buy the OEM Dometic gaskets if that’s your issue. I can’t vouch for any other brands.  Hope this helps!

1 minute ago, Scotty Hutto said:

The leakage I referred to was simply the coil cleaner dripping from the coils.  That should clear up in a couple of hours at most.  Our Diplomats don’t have drain lines, so the condensate (drip) pans drain directly onto the roof.  If the foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit is compromised, if can allow condensate to drain back into the AC opening.  The gasket is not very expensive, but replacing it requires removing the four bolts that hold it down and disconnecting any power and control wires that run through the opening.  Shut the AC power off before attempting this!  Here’s a decent video explaining it; there are others that go into more detail.  The Steele Rubber gaskets he suggests are good, or you can buy the OEM Dometic gaskets if that’s your issue. Hope this helps!

Ok so this is a different deal then.

I didn’t exactly mean drain lines I just meant it is draining properly outside from the drain pan. The dripping seems to be coming straight down from the drain pan not from around the seal. Trust me I had that happen once and it ruined my ceiling because I didn’t get it changed in time. So no thought that the filter could be the cause from lack of air flow? 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:12 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

The leakage I referred to was simply the coil cleaner dripping from the coils.  That should clear up in a couple of hours at most.  Our Diplomats don’t have drain lines, so the condensate (drip) pans drain directly onto the roof.  If the foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit is compromised, if can allow condensate to drain back into the AC opening.  The gasket is not very expensive, but replacing it requires removing the four bolts that hold it down and disconnecting any power and control wires that run through the opening.  Shut the AC power off before attempting this!  Here’s a decent video explaining it; there are others that go into more detail.  The Steele Rubber gaskets he suggests are good, or you can buy the OEM Dometic gaskets if that’s your issue. I can’t vouch for any other brands.  Hope this helps!

Good morning all….

cleaned the coils a few days ago and everything has been good and then wake up who’s morning and the cooks are iced again some. 

conventional thought would be need to clean a little more?  They were pretty bad when I did Them the first time and I have not been back up to check again. 

I do have a question….could running the AC at maybe too low a temperature be a part of this scenario?

thoughts?

Guest Ray Davis
36 minutes ago, Coach J said:

I do have a question….could running the AC at maybe too low a temperature be a part of this scenario?

I was going to suggest that.  I have read of people having that very problem, especially in high humidity and on low fan speed.

2 hours ago, Coach J said:

Good morning all….

cleaned the coils a few days ago and everything has been good and then wake up who’s morning and the cooks are iced again some. 

conventional thought would be need to clean a little more?  They were pretty bad when I did Them the first time and I have not been back up to check again. 

thoughts?

Absolutely.  In high humidity always use AUTO or HIGH fan speed.  Most Monaco Owners manuals have that as a warning or a “special” note.

Try and report back.

Thanks

Guest Ray Davis

Laughing........   Coach J,  I think you probably meant to give credit for the solution to Scotty,  not to yourself.   👍

Solved by Coach J, Tuesday at 07:20 AM

Edited by Ray Davis

14 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Laughing........   Coach J,  I think you probably meant to give credit for the solution to Scotty,  not to yourself.   👍

MODERATOR NOTE….It was fixed…Scotty now has the GOLD STAR…..

Solved by Coach J, Tuesday at 07:20 AM

Yes sir I did