Toad oversized tires. Impact on Towing and Steering?

theman394

I am setting up a 1982 Ford Bronco for flat towing behind my RV.  My question is what effect do oversize tires have on the handling of the towed vehicle.  I plan to put 265/75 16 tires on it.  I know they are not giant off-road tires, but they are probably bigger than most people have on their toad.  I am just trying to avoid some pitfalls and wasting money.

Thanks in advance for anyone's experience with this issue.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Toad oversized tires. Impact on Towing and Steering?

One vehicle doth not make a fleet….LOL. Three SUV’s towed. One was a Hummer, H3, with the largest “Factory Offered” off road tires.  EDIT 9/25/23…265/75R16.  Not an aggressive tread…but M&S….not the ALL SEASON style.  END EDIT.

Those larger tires had a minor impast, as best my records of every fill up since day one for the Camelot. Maybe a tenth.  Probably less than running the Front dash HVAC….which i rarely do as it is more economical to run the genny and cool the whole rig.

That compared to an older Explorer and my Yukon. As to the “steering”.  A WARNING….do not attempt this at home!  LOL.  I had occasion to defy common sense and tried to back the Explorer, straight, but on some hard dirt.  Wheels jack knifed.  Did that once or twice with the Hummer.  NO PROBLEMS…tracked true.  Yukon has larger all season tires….works, but I really have to “watch it”.  I got over 75K out of the OEM Bridgestone tires on the Hummer…that was clock plus the towing….so, there was no impact on tire wear.  If you go a size or two up….probably no difference….but past that…I don’t know…

I’d google that or also post on IRV2.  Yes, the answers on some other forums do not have the expertise (LOL) nor the quality that our members post…but you reach a broader spectrum.

It makes no difference. My toad is a Jeep with 35x1250R15 tires. No issues. Just be sure you do not lock the steering on the toad when you remove the key from the ignition.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tow a 95 Ford F150 4WD with 33x10.50/15 BFG K02 with no issues whatsoever. It's set up for off roading with 10k winch, 2 spare 33x10.50/15 BFG K02 tires, off road lights front and rear and 4.10 lockers. Tows well. 

Your 82 Bronco will make a great toad but don't attach tow bar to front bumper. Bumper is not strong enough to take a tow bar attached to it. I had planned on doing it until I saw an accident on a 91 Ford F150 where tow bar was ripped off from bumper being pulled towing.

Edited by Joint Venture
  • Like 1