Fuel/Water Seperator Sensor/Pigtail Connector

Go to solution Solved by DavidL,

Anyone replaced the fuel/water Seperator sensor on their Cummins ISM 500 lately?  I've searched Cummins and elsewhere to find a replacement without much luck.  

Wondering if I'll be able to find a similar connection or will have to splice in a new sensor.  

The wires are pulling out of the sensor on mine. 

Thanks!

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

• Solution

No magic in that connector.  If you can find the right one, awesome.  If it takes more than 10 minutes, just clip it and put some solderless bullet connectors on them right size for the wire gauge.  Just take a picture to get the right wire to the right wire. I would put some antixodent on them, and tape them up to make them water tight and move onto the next mission.

That sensor has very little that can go wrong,  just 2 pins that sense the difference in conductivity of water vs diesel fuel.  When my WIF function stopped working on my RACOR it had a constant false WIF warning on dash.  It turned out to my Racor molded circuit.  Being cheap I built a single transistor switch circuit and bypassed the Racor circuit.  I looked for the circuit schematic but it must be on an old laptop at home and I am in Cape Breton for the summer.  The replacement module is available from Racor if you go that route. 

On 8/8/2023 at 5:51 PM, Just Jim said:

The previous owner of my coach removed the Dacor fuel/water separator.  I wish I could find one to put back on it.  My old 95 Dynasty had it and it made priming the fuel line so easy after a filter change.

When my Wynn system went out I bought a manual primer with filter on Ebay for 59 dollars. Except for two fittings you can get from a Hydraulic supply and drilling an extra hole once on it's a dream. 97 Dynasty with a manual 8.3.

1 hour ago, Oldgoat said:

When my Wynn system went out I bought a manual primer with filter on Ebay for 59 dollars. Except for two fittings you can get from a Hydraulic supply and drilling an extra hole once on it's a dream. 97 Dynasty with a manual 8.3.

What did it look like.  What should I "search" for?  Thanks for the idea.

• 1 month later...

Ordered the suggested Racor below without looking closely at mine.    This did not fit my application.  My sensor and harness have three wires. 

Racor RK 55484 PROBE/CONN W/GOLD PLATED TERM. (racorstore.com)

Talked to Racor, they don't have any three wire sensors?? 

Reading the Racor document attached below I found: 

"All Racor 2-wire WIFs must be connected to an additional component called a water detection amplifier. These devices are available in 12 or 24 VDC versions, in-dash or remote mount and essentially measure the amount of resistance (in ohms) between the two probe tips. They can detect the resistance change from fuel to water as the level of water accumulates in Racor contaminant collection bowls/sumps. The amplifiers in turn alert the operator of a high-water condition either by a lamp or buzzer or both. Water should be drained from the bowl/ sump at the earliest convenience. Racor WIFs with an internal resistor are for use with OEM onboard computer ECUs which have water detection circuitry. Do not attempt to connect the WIF wires directly to power sources, they must be only connected to detection amplifiers or ECUs as directed by the manufacturer. Contact Racor Technical Support for assistance, if needed"

It appears theses sensor all work in conjunction with a detection amplifier.  It appears there are different OHM ratings for the sensors, guessing based on the  type of amplifier.  

Was thinking I could just splice in the sensor I purchased, however not sure as it has three wires, and have no idea what wires to use.

Ive searched for the sensor in the wiring diagrams without success.    

Anyone able to find the wiring diagram with a 3 wire sensor?

I do have a Kongsberg system, not sure if the additional wire is related. 

Thanks!!

Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks!!

Racor_EB00007_Redesigned_WIF_Probes.pdf

The original 3 wire sensor has one broken wire, broken at the base of the sensor, and one of the other wires has the insulation pulled back.  This is the original problem.  This appears to be the result of removing the sensor multiple times without disconnecting the sensor wire connector. 

The filters all have the same threads. 

Edited by LakeBob

So….I’m digging through a cabinet, cleaning out  some old electronics leftover from the PO, and I find this- see photo

A thee wire water separator sensor wiring kit! 

Now we have a part number! 

image.thumb.jpg.21a91dbc2d65ff3668fe89fb9ce41702.jpg