Recommendations for small inverter, charger, transfer switch,

jacwjames

Nice work.  Better build quality than a lot of Monacos work. I used that same construction method (plywood table surface surrounded by hardwood trim) to build a work bench.  I abuse that surface considerably, and I am surprised how well it holds up, despite the paper thin veneer. Somehow the laquer seems to make it more durable. The #2 awg looks like some serious electrical distribution.

That compressor in the top pic is the factory rear ac compressor?   12 volt powered off the alternator? If so, it must be a pretty large current draw.

3 minutes ago, Robert92867 said:

Nice work.  Better build quality than a lot of Monacos work. I used that same construction method (plywood table surface surrounded by hardwood trim) to build a work bench.  I abuse that surface considerably, and I am surprised how well it holds up, despite the paper thin veneer. Somehow the laquer seems to make it more durable. The #2 awg looks like some serious electrical distribution.

That compressor in the top pic is the factory rear ac compressor?   12 volt powered off the alternator? If so, it must be a pretty large current draw.

I am actually pretty impressed with the woodwork in my coach, doors and trim are all solid walnut and they have held up well.  Interior is a little dated compared to the stuff coming off the assembly lines now but of much better quality. 

Yes the rear AC probably has a big draw but the van came with a 300 amp alternator.  I installed a second battery and Bluesea latching relay to keep everything separate.  None of the 12 volt that I installed has a big draw but if my wife is parked for a while I'm sure she'll draw the house battery down. 

I was contemplating using a lacquer finish but would have been hard to spray in the van without making a mess.  I built my kitchen cabinets and used lacquer and they are almost bullet proof. 

Not sure how the polyurethane will hold up and or the durability of the oak plywood I used, doesn't seem as good of quality as what I used for my kitchen cabinets.  I probably should have used solid oak, I had enough and really not that much trouble to mill and joint together.   My wife says she's going to put small rugs under the crates so she can clean/wash them easier and hopefully protect the surface.

Yesterday it took me all day to make trim pieces for the window and sliding door transition.  Each piece was odd shaped, curves etc.  Had to make a template and then fine tune each one.  What a pain but I didn't want to half way do something.   Haven't installed yet but I think it will look good. 

I really don't consider myself a "craftsman" but a decent wood worker.  I made most of the doors for the house I built out of Sassafras I harvested off the property when I was clearing it.  I had the logs cut into large slabs and then mated them together so the wood is twinned side by side.  I had some slabs the had unique live edge and go creative.  Here's a picture of the door going into my study ~4' wide X  8.5' tall.  Dozens of visitors (even delivery people) have take pictures of it.  Across from it I made a smaller cased door that has the same appearance   I guess I hold my own. 

Large Barn door at Foyer.JPG

Living Room door.JPG

• Like 1

So unless something else happens I will close out this thread.  Move the van over to the house and transferred ownership/responsibility to my wife.  Plugged it to 120 volt 20 amp outlet and tested the AC, at first it seemed wonky so I did a thermostat reset, unplugged the communications cables and that seemed to fix it.  It ran for over a day cycling on and off, cools down the van nicely even in full sun.   I even turned on the inverter so that it would charge the batteries and watched until it went into float at ~13.4 volts.   I made her a 100' 10awg extension cord with a 30 amp plug on it but I also found this adapter that fits into both plugs on a standard outlet.  I think this might help with voltage loss as both plugs are connected to the 30 amp receiver side and fits tight.  I saw this in a store in norther Wisconsin in July but ordered it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K2ZMY5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I made a "HOW TO" manual for her that tries to explain how everything works.  Showed her the fuses, 60 amp circuit breaker, main disconnect, and bluesea MLACR.  Most of it went over her head but eventually maybe she'll figure it out. 

Today we moved in the large crate and strapped it down.  It pretty much fills up the back. 

Hooked up a couple dryer vent hoses to the rear AC that she can direct however she wants.  I put an elbow on one that blows directly into the large crate. 

She has a dog show on Thursday so we'll see how everything goes.

Front view with crates.jpg

Rear View with crate.jpg

Dog races????   We had a Bull Mastiff that was really fast (and the breed isn't known for that) and ran a coursing test, did really well.  Was in first place until a small whippet took the lead. 

Turned out better then I expected, all the fitting was labor intensive, but in the end the final product speaks for itself.

Even USP driver stopped while dropping off a package and said it looked good.  She's delivered most of the stuff I ordered for it and has watched as it has morphed from a work van to this.   Can't beat that. 

• Like 1