Recommendations for small inverter, charger, transfer switch,

jacwjames

So I finished insulating the ceiling area right behind the driver and passenger seat.  Now waiting on more insulation but always stuff to do.

Went ahead and installed the finished ceiling behind the drivers/passenger seat, this is what came in the van and decided to keep it.  I'll only put ceiling in the last ~6' of the van ceiling.

Finished roughing in the AC location, had to frame out the  area around the opening to provide a place for the inside shroud to press against and be able to screw it to the ceiling.  Also pulled the old AC unit I am going to install, decided to clean up and paint the shroud, going to use the Topside paint on it.  The portion of the shroud that the screws into the AC had seen better days so I went ahead and used epoxy and glass mat to reinforce.  Will cleanup the out side sand and paint.   This will work for now but may look at buying a new one.

AC rough in done.jpg

AC & Vent fan roughed in.jpg

• Like 1

Hello, I only guessed that my problem was a failed transfer switch. I found a deal on a Surge Guard 41260 Automatic Transfer Switch. I took out the old one and put it in. I have a dedicated location in my basement that yours might not have. Mine has served flawlessly, it has surge protection.

51B4P99ecVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks,

I'm doing a ground up custom retrofit of a 2020 Transit van for my wife to carry her dogs to shows.  Nothing fancy inside as far as electronics so just going to have GFCI's to protect the outlets and AC.  Adding some LED lighting and a small inverter with internal transfer switch and charging capability. 

Hadn't though of any type of surge protections but something I could use on a pedestal if needed. 

So I unboxed the old AC I kept installed new on my coach.  This AC had a new motor installed in 2015 and really had not been used that much since and was working great blowing cold etc. 

Previously I had to put extra screws to hold the shroud down and the front corners were cracked/broken.  So I decided to reinforce the lip using the glass mat and epoxy making sure to overlap the front area.  I then used bondo to try and fix blemishes on the outside edge.  Over all it turned out pretty good.  I then sanded and painted with the Topside high gloss paint, two coats.  Will add new screws all the way around before putting it on the van. 

Also installed a swivel base on the passenger seat, this will give my wife a place to sit while parked at shows etc.  I'm trying to make the van user friendly so I added outlets all around, extra LED puck lights in the ceiling with separate switches, USB  charging ports, and 12 volt outlets.   Also installed the 120 volt system and will have a Marinco type plug and 50' of cord.  Ultimately may get a generator and mount on a swing away type hitch. 

I think I'll have about $2900 in the outfitting portion of fixing up the van, paid $37300 for the van including taxes and registration, and spent $550 servicing it and brakes all around.    Not bad overall for what it will be.  The Van is in very good condition +9 out of 10.  Years ago a friend of my wife's dad who was doing dog shows bought a new larger Class B Canine Hauler for ~$150K.  They ended up selling because it was harder to maneuver at  shows.  I think this will fit the bill nicely. 

Prepped shroud.jpg

AC painted first coat.jpg

Shroud painted.jpg

Swivel passenger seat.jpg

• Like 1

Jack of all trades>>> Master of None   But I try😁

Blew out the AC good while I had it on the ground and changed the dip switches.   Attached the shroud to the top of the AC using the round white gutter screws. 

Parked the van down hill to take advantage of height, my tractor only has an 8' lift so couldn't quite get it level.  Put the AC on a piece of plywood and set on top the forks of the tractor, pulled up to it and kept it ~3" off the roof and then started pushing one side then the other to get in on the roof and somewhat over the hole.  The went on the inside and was able to maneuver the AC center to the hole.   Put the two back hold down bolts in first, pushed the AC all the way to the back.  Had to trim a little in the front get the bolts to start.  Put the inner plate in place and pulled the AC down somewhat tight and checked all the measurements.  They provide a hard foam type spacer to separate the return and the pressurized air, had to cut that to width.  Dropped the mounting plate, put the foam block in place, and then fastened the AC back down. 

This went better then I expected, still have to wire it up but have the rest of the wiring to finish before I can complete that.   I had about 3" between the vent fan the I installed earlier and the AC unit.  Both are almost the same height, so if my wife drives under a low clearance obstacle she'll take out both!!!

The van has a medium height roof and the AC shroud would be an issue but the rear of the van will have a ~19" elevated platform so there won't be a problem with any one hitting their head on the shroud.  The platform is where the large dog crates will be and for general storage.   Under the platform there will be enough room for the smaller dog crates and other storage.   Layout is still being decided but I think I've got it worked out in my head and I think my wife is OK with what I want to do.  Should be enough room to carry a 30" wide platform forward on the driver side to just behind the drivers seat where I intend to build a battery box. 

The van does have a large AC unit in the rear, I am going to box in a vent distribution duct and used quick connect dryer vent fitting to attach duct work to so my wife can direct the air to where she needs it, probably one going under the platform, and two for the larger crates on the platform. 

AC on roof.jpg

AC on roof front view.jpg

Test fit of AC shroud.jpg

Still waiting on the last portion of the 3M insulation that I had ordered.  Was suppose to be delivered Friday and I got a message stating they couldn't deliver, no explanation given.  Called and because of the "holiday" I won't receive the package until Tuesday.   This will delay finishing out the inside.

But I turned my attention to finishing the electrical.  I purchased a small switch panel with USB, volt meter display, and 12 volt plug.  The switches will control lights, vent fan, AC thermostat, and a second charging port that I'll mount in the rear of the van.  Went to work installing the 60 amp breaker, Bluesea 12 volt fuse panel, and 100 amp fuse to protect the inverter circuit.  Just took time to set it all up and make the small 6 awg jumpers to put in the small cubby I made. 

I had to route the wiring through portions of the body panel/ribs and purchased a step drill set to drill different holes and grommet kit to protect the wiring.  Then also used the black wiring loom to protect wires any place there was a chance of damage.   Over the years I had collected/kept pieces of electrical cords and used these for most of the 12 volt runs.  Lighter gauge for lights and heavier gauge for the vent fan and additional circuits. 

I still have to put the inverter in the other cubby, I decided to use the black coraplastic covering that was in the van originally to hide all of this.   There will be a lift up hinged bench in front of this so most won't be visible but still want it to look good.  I'm going to mount the battery box right behind the drivers seat since the 12 volt tap from the chassis system is on the drivers seat.  I will install a battery disconnect and Bluesea MLACR, and battery that will tie into the inverter and 12 volt distribution.  The inverter has two charging modes, 25 amp and 55 amp.  I will either cut ventilation holes in the coraplatic  Not sure if I will install a power strip off the inverter or put an outlet in the paneling.  

Today will mount inverter and work on wiring it in and start working on the structure of the elevated platform in the back. 

12 volt system.jpg

12 & 120 volt.jpg

On 9/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, Robert92867 said:

Spotted a rare $.99 Craftsmen (90's era) screwdriver in your work area.  I too would stock up whenever they went on sale.

My father-in-law was a tool hoarder, he had dozens of tools mostly in duplicates and sometimes many more.  Some still in the original packaging.  He had over 100 hammers, and he usually painted the handled and painted his initials on them. 

When he passed me and my BIL split everything up.  So I have a lot of older tools but slowly burning through them.  Just threw away a sabre saw that quit working. 

So I've continued work on the van and made pretty good progress.  Been hot ~90F for the last 3 days so not fun to work in but better then not doing anything.

Got the 12 volt system pretty much done except for having a battery installed to test.  I did pick up a AGM Marine battery that I'm going to try in the van.  I don't anticipate my wife will be doing a lot of boon docking but if I need to upgrade I'll swap out and install a couple of golf cart batteries and use the Marine battery in my Whaler. 

Pretty much finished the 120 volt, I checked the wiring from the shore plug to the breaker box, glad I did as I wired the plug wrong and had reverse polarity.  Got it all straightened when I get the

I went ahead painted the side walls with the Topside paint thinking it's more durable then most of the other stuff.  Actually turned out pretty good. 

Finally got the remaining insulation and installed that yesterday along with more furring/filler strips.  Someone asked about the R factor, the shipment I just got had a flyer in it that said it has an R factor of R5.2, not bad and with the way the walls are constructed my guess is I'll have about an R7 maybe more.  

I decided to use the Coraplast sheeting for the ceiling, light, easy to clean, easy to cut and install.  Went ahead and installed it today along with the ceiling lights.  Finished wiring in the AC and put the distribution box up and finished installed the vent fan shroud.    I then took the original transition piece from the ceiling and cut to to cover the old/new ceiling seam.  Took some time, test fitting, trimming, but overall it turned out OK and a lot better then anything I could have made.   Overall ceiling turned out pretty good.  Considering all the walls & ceiling are curved I can't complain and the wife seems pretty much satisfied. 

walls and ceiliing done.jpg

Bob

Thanks, I try.   The saying "practice makes perfect" doesn't apply since this is a one off deal for me, pretty much trial and error as I work on the retrofit. 

My wife wanted everything low maintenance as far as cleaning.   So easy clean walls and ceiling and I used the black Coraplast on the bottom portion.  She should be able to park the van on a slight incline and spray wash the back portion out. 

Today I'm going to rough in the platform and then do a test fit of the largest cage she plans to use for the big dog  54"L X 46" high X 36" wide, which will pretty much fill up most of the back end.  Worried about the height since the walls are curved and the Air Bag Covering.   She wants to be able to put smaller crates underneath which makes it a little more tricky to make both fit. 

I had already worked through how I thought I'd build he platform.  I decided to use the heavy conduit strut material, the span across the van is ~65" and with a piece of strut supported across that span it doesn't deflect with my weight on it.  So I attached a piece of 2X4 along each side ~20" off the floor with notches cut on on either end to accept the conduit strut.  I predrilled holes through the conduit strut to put screws into the 2X4 and also where I intended to put stringers made of 2X4.  Then I put a grid of more 2X4's using pocket screws.  It all went together pretty good and is very solid.  

Had my wife bring out the pieces of the largest crate she's uses, put it together and did a test.  It fits but man it fills the platform up, barely enough space for a smaller crate for the other large dog she travels with.  But with the way the platform is elevated there will be enough room for 5 or 6 small crates under the platform. 

Since the rest of the build is a little plain jane I've decided to use Oak plywood for the deck and then I can make trim pieces out of Oak lumber I already have. 

Also tested the 12 volt system, all seems to work. 

Platform frame.jpg

Probably a little late now but before you install the platform see how much it weighs for the impact on the van chassis.  Be sure to do a 4-corner weigh 🤣🤣

Or just weigh the van when done  . . . . curious how much all that adds up. 

- bob

Thanks Bob,

This is a Ford 250 van chassis  with a GVWR of 9070 with base curb weight of ~5200 lbs, so it has quite a bit of weight capacity ~3800lb. 

When we bought the van it was outfitted as a work crew van with 2 heavy metal shelves in the rear, a metal/wire mesh partition behind the bench seat, and it also had the Easy Load ladder rack on the roof.  It also had crew capacity of 5.   All that added up to way more weight then what I will add or need. 

That being said my wife does not comprehend the idea of reducing weight.  We had a knock down drag out discussion when I made her unload all the stuff she had slowly accumulate in our 2002 Windsor, which by the way has a lot less carrying capacity then the Ford Transit Van (yup, hard to believe but true)!!!!

Edited by jacwjames

Still plugging and chugging away on the Van project. 

The van came with a rear AC system which had the intake/evaporator/exhaust all in a small foot print.  It puts out a lot of cold air but it was not controllable. 

I got creative and made a distribution system.  The exhaust portion was directed up the side of the coach in the rear but with the work I had done to finish out the sides complicated harnessing the cool air.  I improvise a duct system trying to limit how much it protruded from the side.   I made a stack with 3 dryer hose connections.  Her plan is to have some dogs under the platform, and two large dog crates on top of the platform.  So she can add hosing and take it to which ever crates need the cooling. 

As mentioned, the whole retrofit is for my wife to transport dogs so think LOTS OF DOG HAIR.  So I had to come up with a wait to enclose the air intake, so I boxed it in and came up with a way to have a replaceable filter.  Lots of measuring/cutting to make a tight fit.  Still have to do some sealing to do to make it tight, but overall it looks like it will work and will definitely will filter the hair out. 

Rear AC distribution.jpg

Rear AC filter.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to finish the air distribution box/filter yesterday.  Overall turned out pretty good considering the amount of fitting for the curved walls, wheel well I had to work around, and the rest of the obstacles.  It will still give me pretty good access to clean the evaporator if needed, which is almost a given with amount of dog hair I anticipate.

Also finished the main portion of the platform, which is elevated ~19" off the floor and will allow for small dog crates to be placed underneath.   I used a sheet of oak plywood from Lowes for most of it, which I was disappointed in, the veneer was extremely thin and the main body of the sheet was very soft wood.  I had to be extremely careful sanding it as it was easy to burn through.  Used 180 grit sandpaper.  I needed to add a piece of solid oak to extend the platform to about ~60", and used oak trim on either end.  All this was glued together using bisquit joints and glue.    I applied two coats of floor oil based polyurethane which hopefully will provide decent protection.  It does also have an amber hue which brings out the oak.

Going to work on finishing the battery box and installing the Bluesea MLACR so I can test the inverter and charging system. 

Air distribution and filtering system complete.jpg

Platform.jpg

Once I'm done it will be up to my wife to take care of it, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it will get scratched.   

The new house that I built I laid ~2000 sq ft of hardwood ash flooring.  The large dogs that my wife has have pretty much destroyed the finish.  Eventually it will all have to be sanded and refinished.  

So, since I received the RJ11 plug ends I decided to try and get the AC in the van up an running.  I had made the communication cable with ends the I eventually determined were not good.  So I repaired the cable and the AC started communicating thermostat.  So plugged the van in and tried to start the AC and after the usual wait time it fired right up.  Checked the fan speed and then turned it to cool and when the compressor kicked in the AC started to push cool air out the distribution shroud. I was surprised at how less noisy the AC was when it was connected to the duct work in my coach.  It did a pretty good job at dropping the temp in the van pretty quickly and I got a thumbs  up from my wife. So another part of the build out complete. 

• Like 1

So over the weekend and into this week I worked on finishing the woodwork on the inside, made a bench that extended up to behind the drivers seat, battery box, and a removable extension the turns the bench into a bed when the front seat is pulled forward and the seat laid down.  Overall turned out OK.  It's functional, the bench hinges up and can lay down on the platform which gives full access to the inverter and electrical area.

I then tackled installing the battery and doing the rest of the electrical.  I used 2 awg cable for the main connections for the inverter, house, and chassis batteries.  Ford actually makes connecting the tow batteries together pretty easy.  The have a CCP (customer connection point) on the drivers seat, a threaded post that connects to the chassis battery which is protected by a 65 amp fuse.  You can buy a kit for two other connections that are protected by 150 amp fuses.  For the time being I decided to use the 65 amp circuit but it would not be hard to change later. 

I made a battery box and mounted a disconnect and and a Bluesea MLACR, these are on the drivers side and can be reached by the drivers side door or reaching over the bench.   I did wire the remote switch in the dash, there was actually a place for the switch that was disguised as a small vent, once I pulled the front off the dash I realized it was there and it made installing the switch pretty easy.  There was an unused wiring plug under the shifter, no idea what it was for but I checked and one of the posts was hot when the ignition was on, and there was a ground location close also.  So I just routed wires up around the drivers door and pulled it through the dash and wired it according to the Bluesea directions.  Took time but not a bad job. 

I tested everything and the Bluesea latches after the engine is started, I then connected to shore power and watched the charger kick in and made sure the chassis battery was getting charged also.  This is all set up just like my coach, ain't rocket science but nice to have a system I was already familiar with. 

I'm not quite done, I still lack making a couple trim pieces for the door and window, another couple days. 

Below are pictures. 

SAFETY  NOTE

On another note, I had a very close call while I was making the last 2 awg cable.  Since I multiple size posts I just bought a standard crimp post and drilled them out the size I needed.  I made a little jig that I could lay the cable in after I crimped on the lug and used my drill press.  This worked great for the first 15 crimped ends, on the last one I had to drill to a large enough hole to fit one of the Bluesea lugs.  The drill bit caught and I lost my grip on jig and started spinning and whipping the ~18" long 2 awg cable.  I tried to get away as fast as I could but the cable hit my left hand 3 times and right hand once.  3 deep cuts on my little finger left hand and a large bruise on my thumb right hand.  I made a fast retreat to the coach to try and contain the blood and get a breath.  I started to go into shock, sweating, rapid breathing, and a little faint.  Took about 15 minutes for me to feel normal, then went back out into the shop and cleaned up the mess.  So lesson learned, redid the last cable and just used a hand drill to enlarge the holes. 

Electric done.jpg

Disconnect and Bluesea MlACR.jpg

Bench.jpg

Bed.jpg

Ready to drive.jpg

Bluesea remote swiitch on dash.jpg

• Confused 1

How are the fingers?  Even small broken bones can give you that 'in shock' feeling. 

Glad you got to finish that stage.  Next time drill then crimp!  lol

I think my bed foam is 2".  Had to sleep on it Sat night when the coach died (still sorting out the cause).  It was VERY comfy!

- bob

Thanks Bob and Bill

Yup, the project is coming to an end.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, hope it's not the train.  Overall I am pretty well pleased with how it turned out.  Considering everything was custom fit trial/error type process I think it looks pretty good.   The van I think will serve it's purpose, hope my wife takes care of it.  Just finished writing a How To regarding how the electrical works. 

Yup, when I finished making the last cable I just used a hand drill.  Took a little longer but no accidents. 👍

Fingers are fine, sore but I think I'll be OK. 

I seem to be able to take incidents like this pretty good.  One time at work I jumped in to help some repairmen position a heavy beam that they couldn't get into place to weld.  Told them to get out of the way and I got underneath it had hefted into position, but as soon as I did it I knew I did something, crawled down off the elevated position and walked over to the safety director who standing there and casually asked him if he thought I needed stitches, while I showed him my arm/wrist which had a pretty good cut.  He almost passed out, and I went to the hospital ti get the cut stitched up.  🤬