Engine overheating again!

Go to solution Solved by PeterSchweizer,

After coach sitting for a year in one location, we headed north from Paradise, California to Central Point, Oregon. Outside temp 93 degrees. Every grade we had to pull, I had use gears manually and with a feather touch on the throttle to keep temperature down to 226 or less. One grade on 5 fwy going into Weed, California just before cresting to top of grade the temperature hit 228 and check engine light came on. As I hit the crest the temperature dropped to 226 and check engine light went out. 360 Hp Cummins , 09 knight, rear radiator and was cleaned two years ago. Coach is in shop and I’m being told my fan (new from Source Engineering) is not coming on. Isn’t a rear radiator fan driven by the belt?? So long as engine is running fan is turning??

TIA on info.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Does the fan have a clutch? Maybe that's what they mean.

I just talked to them and they say it’s a thermostatic fan and not coming on when temps rise.

• Solution

I was emailing  with Jim at source engineering about my overheating issue and mentioned I saw your issue posted today. 

You should contact him today.

He commented that:

#1- the source fan should be direct drive not on an clutch or thermostatic fan.

#2 make sure when the fan was installed with the blades centered in the shroud edge- top to bottom and left to right

One more thing JIM  mentioned to check is to

make sure the source fan is not installed backwards!  it should be pushing air to the outside of the rear radiator

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterSchweizer said:

I was emailing  with Jim at source engineering about my overheating issue and mentioned I saw your issue posted today. 

You should contact him today.

He commented that:

#1- the source fan should be direct drive not on an clutch or thermostatic fan.

#2 make sure when the fan was installed with the blades centered in the shroud edge- top to bottom and left to right

Thankyou!! Just talked to Jim and relayed info to shop. But apparently other issues have been found also of which they will be calling me soon. Alternator is not spinning freely of which I complained about a squealing nose. And now apparently more issues and looks like we are going to have to go get meds and supplies out of coach.

19 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Yeah, maybe it is under warranty?

Jim at Source Engineering said Monaco stopped using the thermostat clutch and mine should not have one. If it does he said scrap it and hook directly to motor with a spacer. He has a PDF for proper installation. So I’m letting my shop know about this since they installed my new fan last year.

2 hours ago, Gary M said:

Thankyou!! Just talked to Jim and relayed info to shop. But apparently other issues have been found also of which they will be calling me soon. Alternator is not spinning freely of which I complained about a squealing nose. And now apparently more issues and looks like we are going to have to go get meds and supplies out of coach.

Jim at Source Engineering said Monaco stopped using the thermostat clutch and mine should not have one. If it does he said scrap it and hook directly to motor with a spacer. He has a PDF for proper installation. So I’m letting my shop know about this since they installed my new fan last year.

I am thinking I would let them know right away.  One of their Dinosaur techs may not know how it was supposed to go.    I always watch or question, everything any one does for me.   Unless of course you want new and different  problems after you pull out of there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomV48 said:

I am thinking I would let them know right away.  One of their Dinosaur techs may not know how it was supposed to go.    I always watch or question, everything any one does for me.   Unless of course you want new and different  problems after you pull out of there. 

I did let them know. The owner of the shop is personally overseeing the work with his own hands.. After they talked to Source Engineering, they were unaware of the issue and have never had a coach with this problem.

They have been taking care of this coach and our previous coach since 2014.

Hey Gary   Where are you located or better what shop are you in.  And by all means let us know how it goes with them. 

We will be following behind you up the 5 in about 2 1/2 weeks and will be running up to Keizer, OR Elks before we go toward the beach.

May be stopping off in either Grants Pass, Coburg or Eugene for some maintenance work.   I figure it was made in Coburg so that area ought to have the places to fix her. 

1 hour ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Installing a fan--or propeller--backward does not reverse the flow. It may make it less efficient, however.

It was installed correctly except it needs the correct spacer so the fan is centered in the fan housing. Air is being pushed around housing instead of through it to radiator.

2 hours ago, TomV48 said:

Hey Gary   Where are you located or better what shop are you in.  And by all means let us know how it goes with them. 

We will be following behind you up the 5 in about 2 1/2 weeks and will be running up to Keizer, OR Elks before we go toward the beach.

May be stopping off in either Grants Pass, Coburg or Eugene for some maintenance work.   I figure it was made in Coburg so that area ought to have the places to fix her. 

No wifi and bad cell reception right now. Hard to respond.

Coach is at Oregon Truck and RV in Central Point. We were heading to 7 Feathers. Then over to Coos Bay Area. Our home base is Ashland, Oregon. After Coos Bay next stop is Desert Hot Springs, California for the winter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomV48 said:

Contact jim at source engineering  in Oregon he worked for monaco so he has lots of contacts if they don't do what you need done.

4 hours ago, PeterSchweizer said:

Contact jim at source engineering  in Oregon he worked for monaco so he has lots of contacts if they don't do what you need done.

Thank you Peter.

17 hours ago, PeterSchweizer said:

The owner of the shop and I talked to Source Engineering. Looking for part number of spacer (Cummins #). Jim at Source will have info Monday to order it.

Spacer part number is 3910128. I bought a genuine Cummins on eBay last month for 65.00. You will need bolts about 1” longer than the ones you have. I am not at home until tomorrow and I have the bolt spec and size you need there. So if you need that info send me a message. 

There is a rod adjustment to move the radiator back and forth. One on each side of the shroud. It is a bitch to get the nuts broke loose and adjusted. Check this you may not need a spacer. You can call me if you need more info tomorrow after 1000 CST I just went thru all of this last month. 402-319-3445

• 2 weeks later...

@Gary M

EDIT NOTE. This is a FOLLOW UP.  Please do not start a new topic for a follow up.  This had to be Merged with the original as there is no continuity and  folks who were involved might not get the feedback, they richly deserve. End of Edit.

Thanks to Peter Schweitzer and Kenneth Cox for info on my issue. Once spacer was installed it put the fan in the correct position to push all the air through the fan housing to the radiator instead of around the fan housing. 
After the install I took coach from shop on 17 mile trek (1500 altitude) to my home base (5200 altitude) on a steady climb using 2nd thru 4th gear and engine max temp was 204 a couple of times for only maybe 15 seconds and averaged 196-199. 
HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tom Cherry
Duplicate. Followup should have been posted to ORIGINAL Topic
  • Like 1

Glad to hear that you found the problem Gary. One wonders how many radiators have been replaced when this or something similar was the real culprit? I suppose a mechanic could install a new one correctly and not even notice that the old one he removed was not.

I was wrong when I suggested that a fan blade with a compound radius would be affected if the fan was reversed. Doesn't make any difference flat or compound. All it might change is the distance the fan projects from the hub as Gary discovered. Thought about it laying in bed one night and got up and made a paper model just to make sure.

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 1