Progressive HW50C hard wired 2nd display

jacwjames

The cable is a standard RJ11 data cable which is the same as a telephone cable except the 2 inner wires are reversed. These are easily available. You can also use 2 telephone cables with a straight through connector which is then equivalent to a data cable. 

I didn't see the value of a outside remote when at hookup I could go inside to check. Most of the problems were low voltage and occurred later when we were inside and having the display inside was very useful. Several cases of low voltage on 50A in older poorly wired campgrounds. One case of high voltage (160V) on a 30A plug that occurred at 10PM. This was due of course to a open neutral in the 120/240V CG distribution system. None of these problems occurred at hookup. I did have one case of reversed polarity on 30A. 19 years with the same HW50C and data cable in 2 RVs.

I disagree, I find it a PITA to go inside just to read the EMS display after hooking up the power cable and turning on the 50 amp circuit breaker. My service bay door is already open so it's only a few steps from the RV pedestal panel to the service bay to observe the EMS display. Once done I switch it to the inside display.

I use my custom built Power/Pedestal Tester on the pedestal prior to even getting setup on a site which tells me a lot about the pedestal before spending the time to back in, slides out and leveled. However, it does not evaluate the pedestal while under a load which the coach does after hooking up.

When I originally installed the HW50C progressive I only had the outside unit, which in most cases works. 

But I decided to install the 2nd monitor so I can watch it through the day.  Useful when your in an area of sketchy power situations. 

Last month I was up in Wisconsin parked at my brothers house and found that there was a wide fluctuation in voltage through out the day.  I initially tried to run an AC on 120 volt 20 amp circuit and saw several faults of low voltage so I just bit the bullet and left the AC off.  Luckily it was fairly cool and I got by with just running the vent fan. 

Richard Understood but for me if there is a problem at hookup which has only happened once since 2004 the HW50C did not connect power. I never plug in with loads switched on so low voltage has never been a issue for me at that point in time. 

I did initially pre check the pedestal but for me this has never been a issue until loads were turned on inside. I developed a high level of confidence in the HW50C to protect the RV.

46 minutes ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Richard Understood but for me if there is a problem at hookup which has only happened once since 2004 the HW50C did not connect power. I never plug in with loads switched on so low voltage has never been a issue for me at that point in time. 

I did initially pre check the pedestal but for me this has never been a issue until loads were turned on inside. I developed a high level of confidence in the HW50C to protect the RV.

Coupe of generic things.

Folks that do NOT have the Progressive, like on the Dynasty where they have the upgraded surge style ATS, religiously check the Pedestal first.  Richard makes a great "Checker" if one does not want to probe.  The Dynasty folks use their Aladdin or whatever.

I have been a fan since 2010 and actually had my old pedestal Surge Guard unit hard wired, through Camco plugs into my Camelot.  I read so much here about the HW50C, that I pulled the pedestal one out, sold on eBay and installed the Progressive.

The only thing, I THINK, that Progressive does NOT have, but the former owner was testing, was a FAKE 50 Code. I beta tested a board for him...then he sold the company and they gave me a new stock board to install.

Check the specs....maybe they added it...but doubt it.  Tommy Fannelli was the owner and also the chief developer and tester.

Mine has saved me many times.  NEVER BYPASS IT.  A bad shore plug caused an open neutral and it caught it...we have had several, one recently, open neutrals and they are costly....

Hard to detect a fake 50 if you mean the lack of 240V vs 20 or 30A with adapter. On my Secpter the load sharing defaults to 30A w/o 240V because there is no practical way to determine a 20 vs 30A circuit. Also can't detect that the gen is less than 12KW and it's a 120/240V gen.

But the HW50C could have a 240V indication as a possible alert of fake 50 when off. But when I initially thought of that I also knew that most RVs couldn't spell electricity and certainly didn't understand a surge protector vs EMS and a 120/240V circuit is beyond imagination even though virtually every house has they type of circuit. And there are dieharts that insist 120/240 is 2 phase when it's single phase.