2007 Endeavor Hydraulic Fluid Mysteries - FINAL RESOLUTION

Go to solution Solved by Gweedo,

Guest Ray Davis
4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Like maybe 3 posts above this one :classic_laugh:!

I too was told they added dye to AW-46, by tech support.

This would have occurred about 2013- 2015. REV?

Not the one I was thinking of.  It was this one below.   I didn't recall it was you 3 yrs ago.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, 96 EVO said:

I once called the old Monaco help line and asked why my Texaco AW-46 had a red tint to it, and the guy on the phone told me "Monaco sometimes added red dye!"  

If he could have seen me, I would have flashed him the B.S card!

• 2 weeks later...

@Geffery

Your topic was merged as we just completed a very thorough discussion.  This is your Power Steering reservoir.  Please read your manual.  It is covered in detail in the last section (9?) or the Chassis section.

Please go back to THE  first page of the original post and start reading.  This topic tells you more than anyone really wants to know, LOL, BUT….It also gives you insight and information as to what particular fluid is used. If your Diplomat, as i believe it was, is an Oregon coach….then the fluid is PROBABLY ATF.  But if you read the entire topic, you will see Monaco was in a state of flux.  They INTENDED to switch from AW46, plain Hydraulic oil (NAPA or Tractor Supply), but the exact conversion date is a mystery.

The way to identify if spelled out.  You need to familiarize yourself with the Lubricant Chart in the last chapter of the manual.  So, trust, but verify.  There is also a lot of information on converting to TRANSYND….Which is what is in your tranny and considered the “GOLD STANDARD”.  Doing that now, with a new filter is something that you probably will not have to ever do again.

GOOD LUCK….READ….

Thank you very much Tom i will read up on the manual. The fluid is clear so it may be the hydraulic fluid ATF is usually red. I already changed all the other filters and fluid including generator, I did use the TransSynd in trans. Really appreciate your help!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Hard to argue with what you know and suspect.  BUT, the mystery is still a little murky.  The Diplomat has been, per so many folks….who owned either the Endeavor or the Diplomat…twins.  Pull the sales brochures for each.  Identical….same copy all the way through.  Dash and instruments same.  Read the pages describing the various areas as well as the options.  So, “for our purposes” when we try to help folks….the prints are the same….everything is identical.

OK…being a skeptic….pulled both owner’s manuals.  Diplomat says ATF.  “Jim told me…ATF”.  LOL.  But, pull the Endeavor manual.  Yes…right in the copy…15W40 motor oil.   NOW…a plausible explanation….and we have very few “oldsters that went to every show and knew every feature…

It would be interesting to see if your Endeavor was an ELKHART coach.  The Diplomat was an Oregon coach.  There are subtle differences….we have seen where a particular item, like how a water pump circuit was different.

SO…if your coach was Elkhart….then that MIGHT explain it.  I don’t know if you are aware of the warranty issues that lead to the conversion from AW46 to ATF.  The AW46 has unique sub zero viscosity characteristics.  It “expands” when it freezes.  There are many articles and technical papers on failures when used on Arctic and Antarctic  expeditions.  We have had many members that had a failure, usually in the plumbing at the rear oil cooler.  The AW46 fails…expands….and then bulges or cracks components.  Thus, the conversion to ATF.

Pure supposition….but there were 3 factories closed in the fall of 2008 in Elkhart.  1,400 folks were RIF’ed….but they did keep a “chassis” operation there.

SO….my take.  Elkhart used motor oil….while Coburg switched to ATF.  The “TWINS” manuals are different.  So, we all learn.  If it walks like, quacks like, looks like….then it is a ….LOL.

I have read just about every post and email on the old Yahoo site and most here, except for a 9 month period recovering from a broken leg.  i have seen the debate.  The “white paper towel” test, told to us my Monaco Tech Support was to let a few drops land on the paper towel.  Instant identification.  NOW, we know that there was ANOTHER oil used….how many models?  Would have to read the HR manuals….and check the service recommendations.  The same Nelson housing and filters were used…but Coburg used AW46 and ATF.  Your rig says 15-W40 or “motor oil”.

Now we know….always learning….and what we think we know, Monaco undercut and was never consistent….on that you can depend.

Good luck…service it.  Drain the reservoid (pump it out)…replenish and then forget doing that for several years…

Trying to get some insight into fluid leaking down the pole on one of my hydraulic leveling jacks. 2007 Monaco diplomat. 

there is fluid leaking down the silver pole and pooling on the base. Is it possible it is a seal going bad?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coach J said:

Trying to get some insight into fluid leaking down the pole on one of my hydraulic leveling jacks. 2007 Monaco diplomat. 

there is fluid leaking down the silver pole and pooling on the base. Is it possible it is a seal going bad?

Yep!

I had 3 of 4 leaking past the seals on a previous coach!