Garmin Express is Wonky

So I'm getting ready to go on a trip and it's been 2 years since I updated the Garmin 760 I have. 

So sat down this AM and started to try (key word is "Try").  I'm on my 5th or 6th attempt. 

The first time it was going pretty good and then all of a sudden a box popped up and said I had to update the Express program, stupid me I went ahead in initiated.  Since then it has been a problem.  After the Express updated it stared the whole process over again and it would stop the update part way through and lock up.  This last time it stated but the download rate ~60kb/s but I let it trod along at this rate.  Kept checking and it stayed at that rate for ~1/2 hour but then the download rate started to climb and right now it is at 1.2mb/s and still climbing but I still lack 2.5 hours so it will be a wait and see exercise. 

I think if this attempt fails I'll go in and delete and reload the Express file.   Are there any other options.  If that doesn't work I may have to run to the library and do it on a highspeed connection. 

So it you need to update you better start way ahead of time.

39 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

So I'm getting ready to go on a trip and it's been 2 years since I updated the Garmin 760 I have. 

So sat down this AM and started to try (key word is "Try").  I'm on my 5th or 6th attempt. 

The first time it was going pretty good and then all of a sudden a box popped up and said I had to update the Express program, stupid me I went ahead in initiated.  Since then it has been a problem.  After the Express updated it stared the whole process over again and it would stop the update part way through and lock up.  This last time it stated but the download rate ~60kb/s but I let it trod along at this rate.  Kept checking and it stayed at that rate for ~1/2 hour but then the download rate started to climb and right now it is at 1.2mb/s and still climbing but I still lack 2.5 hours so it will be a wait and see exercise. 

I think if this attempt fails I'll go in and delete and reload the Express file.   Are there any other options.  If that doesn't work I may have to run to the library and do it on a highspeed connection. 

So it you need to update you better start way ahead of time.

I just updated (2 years since last), my handheld ETrex & 760.  My Express updated…twice…don’t ask why.  My advice.  Go in plain vanilla.  Remove the Express.  NO GARMIN HOOKED UP. Then, with a clean copy of Express, plug in the Garmin.  Let it find it.  I have “up to 500 MB/sec”.  The 760 was purring along at 40 or so…really fast…took less than 10 minutes to get 82%.  Then all the “cross checking” took place.  That slowed it down 25…15…10….finally stabilized around 5….and the last 20% took a while…

Garmin has a “special technique” to reset and let you start over.  If you haven’t added additional storage as in the mini SD card…do that…the newer software and map updates depend on that and the updates can get flaky until Express says….ain’t gonna try until you get more memory..

I don't have a super fast internet connection, ~40mb/s, don't know why it started out slow and then ramped up to a better speed.

It shut down 1/2 way through my last attempt but when I restarted it started from there and finally completed.

Now I'm starting to try and back up the Garmin 465 that I keep in my Jeep.  Hopefully it won't be as painful 

You would think with all this better technology it would be easier but I can't say that it is. 

I gave up with Garmin this year and went to Google Maps on my cell phone. Got a gooseneckpPhone holder from Best Buy for $22 which has a super suction cup to attach to the dash. Much easier (closer to me) to read the map now than it was with Garmin and with voice commands much easier to change the destination while enroute. Just a thought.

I would open Garmin Express without the GPS connected to the computer.  I update mine on a regular basis but it seems like every time I open Garmin Express, it needs to update.  You can set it to just update on the computer and then do the GPS later from the computer file.  

Jim,

It was a couple of weeks ago when I was ready to do an update on my RV-890 Garmin but Express wanted to update first. Bad idea! After the update Garmin Express was totally unusable. I finally did a complete and thorough uninstall cleaning out everything.

Then did a clean install from the beginning using the latest version number.

Worked great and everything is back to "normal".

1 hour ago, Larry Laursen said:

I would open Garmin Express without the GPS connected to the computer.  I update mine on a regular basis but it seems like every time I open Garmin Express, it needs to update.  You can set it to just update on the computer and then do the GPS later from the computer file.  

Never tried that before but will definitely give it a try next time I have to update.   Thanks

Just finished updating my 465 Garmin.  Took about as long but I didn't sit here and watch it.  Every time I checked it was still down loading at a very slow speed but it must have kicked into high gear to finish.  It never did acknowledge it was done, it just kind of froze up displaying a message saying "Preparing  This may take a while" Finally got fed up and closed out of it and started over at which point is said "Up to Date" 

3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

It was a couple of weeks ago when I was ready to do an update on my RV-890 Garmin but Express wanted to update first. Bad idea! After the update Garmin Express was totally unusable. I finally did a complete and thorough uninstall cleaning out everything.

Then did a clean install from the beginning using the latest version number.

Worked great and everything is back to "normal".

That will be what I do next time.  Thanks Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I need to try and reload all the maps and POI's  on my Garmins.  The first time I tried to find POI's on my older 465 garmin there were none listed so I had to reload them but the list is not complete.   I had updated my 760 Garmin before I left but the POI list is not complete and/or accurate. 

I had to rely on my phone and or Goggle Earth Maps to find a lot of the POI's.  When I was looking for Walmart's the Garmin it would bring up Walmarts 300 miles a way as the closest one even though I knew one was in a city I was headed to. 

I tried to see if there is a way to delete the old and start from scratch but couldn't see it. 

Another problem I'm having with the 760 is it is not accurate as far as turning distance.  It will be ~1/10t of a mile off, which can get confusing when there are multiple ramps etc.  I missed one on Thursday and got on the wrong highway and ended up having to make a U turn, luckily there were cross over lanes and I could make a turn (it wanted me to drive 10 miles to make a U turn).

After that happened I started using my Iphone map to confirm.  It saved my bacon several times after that. 

I'm beginning to think if the 760 was 15 pounds heavier it would make a good boat anchor. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Haha 1

The last few months my Google Maps voice responses have been abt a 1/10 mile too late for turns. I thought it was a sloppy program update somewhere along the  way. But now that you mention the same problem with Garmin I'm wondering maybe the GPS accuracy has been dialed back a little,. Prior to this I was pleasantly surprised that GPS was more accurate for civilian use than advertised. Just a thought.

I now keep a closer eye on the map when getting ready to turn rather than depending on the voice responses. But this really contradicts my above thought. Oh well, it's livable and Google Maps is super useful as is.

Bob,

I do listen to the voice commands but in this case it as the display that was off. 

The phones seems to be more accurate then the GPS.

In most cases you can pretty take a turn as there isn't other choices but as my as the GPS is off I've made the mistake of taking the wrong turn several times.

So I'd like to erase all the data and start again but I don't see it as an option, does anyone know how to erase data on the GPS?