Onan 10 KW Coolant Tank

Nevada Rob

The coolant tank for the generator is cracked in 4 places. I appears that Cummins/Onan has decided to not produce these tanks any longer. I am guessing Cummins is just like a ziplock bag. Use a little then throw it away and get a new one. I have searched the inter-web for a replacement with zero results. Has anyone tried to plastic weld the tanks as a repair? To have a tank custom built is very costly. 

I have plastic welded a number of things successfully in the past, from plastic bumper covers, fan shrouds to small fuel tanks. Just get the correct rod for it and it should be worth a try, there's no pressure in the tank so should be doable. Not much of a risk in that situation. Otherwise even a generic overflow tank should work and they are/were cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I have plastic welded a number of things successfully in the past, from plastic bumper covers, fan shrouds to small fuel tanks. Just get the correct rod for it and it should be worth a try, there's no pressure in the tank so should be doable. Not much of a risk in that situation. Otherwise even a generic overflow tank should work and they are/were cheap.

What product do you use?  J-B Weld?

I can not find a tank anywhere. The tank is at a body shop to possibly be plastic welded together. I guess Onan/Cummins figures they are good with a throwaway generator. Maybe I can fab one in the shop that fits perfectly as a replacement. Spend hundreds of hours on prototypes. Then finally get a product dialed in and sell them for a ton of cash??? 

19 hours ago, Nevada Rob said:

I checked with them. They are "backordered" according to their answered email.

I went on line and try to order and it seem like that they have one. I was able to get to shipping cost. Just short of paying for it.

image.png.aa8312460bb28dd44ddd719c27b03b0e.png

On 10/6/2023 at 10:45 AM, Nevada Rob said:

The coolant tank for the generator is cracked in 4 places. I appears that Cummins/Onan has decided to not produce these tanks any longer. I am guessing Cummins is just like a ziplock bag. Use a little then throw it away and get a new one. I have searched the inter-web for a replacement with zero results. Has anyone tried to plastic weld the tanks as a repair? To have a tank custom built is very costly. 

One of the NASCAR team engineers needed one for the owners Bus for a 12.5 and he 3D printed 8 of them. I ask him if he had anymore. He said he sold them to Marathon Coach in Oregon. He thinks he might still have the CAD drawing.