Starting issue 1996 exec with c8.3-300 mechanical

I have a 1996 Monaco executive with a Cummins c8.3-300 mechanical engine. Today I went to Speedco to get the coach lubed. I started the coach and it died. I didn‘t think much of it since I have neuropathy in my fingers from chemotherapy and it might have been that. been an issue before. I got home parked the coach and shut the engine down,but then after closing my gate I realized that I pulled up to far. I proceeded to attempt to start the coach it would start then die. If I held my foot on the accelerator and tried to start the coach it would start and run. I started the coach several times like this in a five minute time span. Then i waited a few minutes then attempted to start the coach and turning the key nothing happened (totally dead) volt guage showed better than 12.5v . I pressed the battery boast the same thing dead . i plugged the coach in and waited five minutes I had power but I had to hold the accelerator down to start the coach. I checked the 8d battery and had 12.95v and 1700 cca. I waited 10 minutes with coach plugged into shore power annd went under the under the coach and moved the starter solenoid piston in and out several times to exercise it. I got back in the coach and started the coach several times over a 10 minute period and it started and ran well without me pushing down on the accelerator Do I have a bad solenoid ? What is confusing me is why was the coach was totally dead with no power at one point and even pushing the battery boast i had no power. The volt guage showed a more than 12v. Thoughts .? Thanks steve in nw louisiana

Ps I meant to say that I belonged to both of the Monaco groups bill duckwitz’s group and the al poggi group.  I had to rejoin the new forum today  thank Steve

• Like 1

This seems like more than one issue.  If it starts but then dies, would not be starter related.  Maybe air in the fuel line?  Did they change the fuel filter during the lube at Speedco?  If you have it, use the Wynn air/water to purge the line.  Also, on that engine the fuel shutoff solenoid can give that type of problem.  Check to make sure the bolts on the fuel shutoff solenoid have not loosened (ask me how I know about this).  Also, if you have to hold the throttle down, the spring on the solenoid may have gotten weak.   Do check the battery, electrical as others have suggested, but again I think you have more than one issue. 

I also have a 8.3 mechanical engine.  I did have an intermittent start problem. Found that it was due to a bad fuel shut off solenoid. Replaced it with this, problem solved. You can manually open yours to check if this is the problem. There is a 2 1/2" and 3" bolt spacing, so check yours before ordering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271834521395

attachment.php?attachmentid=219721&stc=1&d=1537404992

Edited by veraken
add info
  • Like 1

Did you have the fuel filters changed at Speedco?  If so, you probably had air in the fuel line after servicing.  Hopefully by cycling the key you have removed all the air.  

It sounds like the start problem uncovered a poor connection or bad solenoid.  I would clean all the engine start battery cables, especially the one that attaches to the frame.  If that doesn't fix it, then change the solenoid.  

3 hours ago, vito.a said:

Did you have the fuel filters changed at Speedco?  If so, you probably had air in the fuel line after servicing.  Hopefully by cycling the key you have removed all the air.  

It sounds like the start problem uncovered a poor connection or bad solenoid.  I would clean all the engine start battery cables, especially the one that attaches to the frame.  If that doesn't fix it, then change the solenoid.  

Pretty sure his doesn't work that way with the key. At least mine doesn't but there is a primer near the front on the pass side of the block.