Whether to or when to downshift

11 hours ago, Bill R said:

@Steven P You should have a crankcase breather with a drain tube back to the crankcase and blowby tube that runs down and exits by the starter.  @96 EVO is correct that our year 400ISL engines do not have the filters though.  See image below.  Number 6 points to the crankcase breather on top of the engine.

Crankcase Breather.png

Thanks Bill!  So, to confirm, there's no filter so no preventative maintenance for the breather?  May I ask the source for the diagram you shared?  Thanks!

Steven 

18 hours ago, Happycarz said:

Steven,

There is not much to this filter, as you can see once it is cut open.  It rests on top of valve cover toward the center. My engine is a 2006 and should look very much like yours.

IMG_1652.jpeg

Nice engine bay.  I dont often see a turbo blanket on RV engines.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:40 AM, Astro Imager said:

Greetings to everyone!

Starting the 1300 mile journey south for the winter season from Washington.  We have some fairly steep climbs that I want to understand better about how to climb with the Alison in our 2009 Camelot 42’.  Coming home this last June, we encountered a couple ‘Stop Engine’ lights and lost power at uncomfortable spots on the road.  This summer I drained the coolant and flushed the system after degreasing and cleaning both sides of the CAC & the radiator.  Re-Filled the coolant system with Final Charge (Red) and topped it off after a couple short runs as needed.  I also replaced the recovery tank pressure cap.  All this in hopes of not repeating the Stop Engine issues.  My question is this;  I’ve been told by several people I trust with years of diesel driving experience that I’m not driving the transmission aggressively enough if I’m just leaving it in D.  Yet I have a very experienced friend on this forum who I’ll call my “Sensei”, tell me that it’s not necessary with the excellent Alison Transmissions we have.  Can I help myself avoid these hot engine issues by keeping the RPM’s higher and the torque in a better range when starting up grades?

Thank you for your consideration,

Dale

When climbing a grade I watch the Tach not the speed. I have a 2004 ISM 500 hp Cummins 4000 Allison, I keep the rpm between 1500 - 2100 rpms. Safe Travels! 

• Like 1