Switching tire size

2002 Beaver

Hello everyone, I currently have a 2004 beaver santiam 40 ft. Currently and according to the plate on coach it is designed for 275/70/22.5 size tires. Toyo and a few other manufacturers that I want to go with, don’t make that tire size. Have any of you with same tire size went up to say a 295/75/22.5 and been fine? Or are there some other tires that you guys would recommend in that size? The only tire ive found that I can get is the roadmaster tire made by cooper tires, but i have read some bad reviews online, so looking for any real life advice here as I am new to the class A world. 

thank you in advance for and advice and I look forward to meeting everyone. 

IMG_0937.png

Matt

As Beaver made the transition to Monaco ownership, they standardized with 295 mm tires on most everything.  However, your vintage coach may not have room for the 295s.  The 295s will be almost an inch wider and about 2 inches taller.  You would need to carefully verify that you have the physical room for such a larger tire.  Also, realize that you would have a significant speedometer discrepancy with the larger tires.  Be careful and do much research before shelling out the money for a larger set of tires.

Richard

p.s. Verify the rim width on the current wheels to see if they will even accept the wider tires.  If memory serves me correctly, the 295s require an 8.25 inch rim width.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CLIFF918 said:

I have a set of Roadmaster tires on my 2002 Diplomat and have put about 8K on them since new with no issues.

Cliff

How many years ild are they? Are they cracking or anything? 

1 hour ago, Jdw12345 said:

Have you googled 275/70/22.5 tires, I just did and had several choices……

I have. I see there are a few, just not the names i would like to purchase. Maybe i am just being too picky  

1 hour ago, JetAburner said:

I'm running 295 Toyos with no issues. And 295s have a higher weight rating. They look better too.

Yeah in just not sure that they will clear. So i was just wondering if someone with same coach could confirm or deny. Thank you

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Odd.

I thought 275/70 was a common size on trucks!

They are more expensive than 295/80/22.5 and a lot of higer or middle end tire manufacturers dont make them in that size, so im guessing not anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2004beaver said:

How many years ild are they? Are they cracking or anything?     3 years old, always covered and Pressure maintained even in storage. No cracking still look new.

Cliff

I have. I see there are a few, just not the names i would like to purchase. Maybe i am just being too picky  

Yeah in just not sure that they will clear. So i was just wondering if someone with same coach could confirm or deny. Thank you

They are more expensive than 295/80/22.5 and a lot of higer or middle end tire manufacturers dont make them in that size, so im guessing not anymore. 

I just replaced my front 275/80r/22.5 with 295/70r/22.5 per recommendations from others and have no issues.  I was curious so I looked into your 04 Beaver and saw a thread on irv2.com w someone asking your same question.  Interesting responses about clearance, but also some concern w power loss. Here's a link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/tires-for-our-monaco-diplomat-433811.html

It also references a tire calculator that was handy. See attachments. And here's that link:  https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-70r22.5-275-75r22.5

The 295vmay be too big of a jump for your coach in my nonprofessional opinion. Also, your coach seems to be equivalent to an 04 Monaco Diplomat, so search those some too for other threads. 

Good luck. 

Steven

Edit: @throgmartin may can chime in here.  His coach came w the same size tires as yours per the brochure and I think he's installed larger ones. Pic below from brochure of 05 HR Ambassador brochure. 

Screenshot_20231014_094718_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231014_094648_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231014_101832_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by Steven P
Added Info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 2004beaver said:

Hello everyone, I currently have a 2004 beaver santiam 40 ft. Currently and according to the plate on coach it is designed for 275/70/22.5 size tires. Toyo and a few other manufacturers that I want to go with, don’t make that tire size. Have any of you with same tire size went up to say a 295/75/22.5 and been fine? Or are there some other tires that you guys would recommend in that size? The only tire ive found that I can get is the roadmaster tire made by cooper tires, but i have read some bad reviews online, so looking for any real life advice here as I am new to the class A world. 

thank you in advance for and advice and I look forward to meeting everyone. 

IMG_0937.png

What issues have you heard about the Roadmasters? I’m replacing my rears that are 8 years old and actually still look fine. Can’t say for sure how many miles on them since they came with the MH but I put on over 30k in 4 years.

I was planning on replacing them with the same but if there are issues with them I may not.

• Like 1

While you are doing comparisons, look at size 265/75R22.5.  They will be slightly larger in diameter then the 275/70s you have now, but not enough to matter.  The slightly narrower width will be insignificant.  Toyo makes the M154 in that size and it is very popular for a motorhome tire.

Richard

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steven P said:

I just replaced my front 275/80r/22.5 with 295/70r/22.5 per recommendations from others and have no issues.  I was curious so I looked into your 04 Beaver and saw a thread on irv2.com w someone asking your same question.  Interesting responses about clearance, but also some concern w power loss. Here's a link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/tires-for-our-monaco-diplomat-433811.html

It also references a tire calculator that was handy. See attachments. And here's that link:  https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-70r22.5-275-75r22.5

The 295vmay be too big of a jump for your coach in my nonprofessional opinion. Also, your coach seems to be equivalent to an 04 Monaco Diplomat, so search those some too for other threads. 

Good luck. 

Steven

Edit: @throgmartin may can chime in here.  His coach came w the same size tires as yours per the brochure and I think he's installed larger ones. Pic below from brochure of 05 HR Ambassador brochure. 

Screenshot_20231014_094718_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231014_094648_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231014_101832_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thank you for all of this info. This was a great help! I greatly appreciate it! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hex_nut said:

While you are doing comparisons, look at size 265/75R22.5.  They will be slightly larger in diameter then the 275/70s you have now, but not enough to matter.  The slightly narrower width will be insignificant.  Toyo makes the M154 in that size and it is very popular for a motorhome tire.

Richard

Unfortunately these will not meet my gvwr. But thank you for pitting that out there. I appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Craggar said:

What issues have you heard about the Roadmasters? I’m replacing my rears that are 8 years old and actually still look fine. Can’t say for sure how many miles on them since they came with the MH but I put on over 30k in 4 years.

I was planning on replacing them with the same but if there are issues with them I may not.

I seen some reviews online about tires cracking etc. but if yours are 8 years old, those sound great to me. I might be looking back into them.  The story i heard was online from someone in arizona which is where i am too. The heat here kills tires quick

• Like 1

I have an 05 Ambassador. Except for the engine and interior the chassis is the same as a Diplomat - RR8R.

I up-sized to 295's years ago. First with Firestone 295's and then Yokohama 295's. I have never had a clearance issue. I up-sized because I wanted the safety factor of the tire load ratings. My opinion is the RR8R should have never been put on 275's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2002 Beaver said:

Unfortunately these will not meet my gvwr. But thank you for pitting that out there. I appreciate it!

I seen some reviews online about tires cracking etc. but if yours are 8 years old, those sound great to me. I might be looking back into them.  The story i heard was online from someone in arizona which is where i am too. The heat here kills tires quick

Ok, before I bought the m/h it spent winters in Az and Texas but like I said they still look great just too old now.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, throgmartin said:

I have an 05 Ambassador. Except for the engine and interior the chassis is the same as a Diplomat - RR8R.

I up-sized to 295's years ago. First with Firestone 295's and then Yokohama 295's. I have never had a clearance issue. I up-sized because I wanted the safety factor of the tire load ratings. My opinion is the RR8R should have never been put on 275's.

Did you go with 295/80/22.5 or 295/75/22.5 or is there a another size?