Fluorescent fixture update

So, many of us have the original fluorescent fixture as depicted in picture one below. Outmoded, noisy, expensive etc. and we want to change them out just because: Picture two was my first change out. Pretty simple really. Remove the fixture. Remove ballasts and everything inside the fixture. Garbage. Solder three LEDs together and double side tape them to the fixture and re-wire them to the existing wiring. Picture two. This lasted almost two years before they started flickering and failing. Looked for something new and improved. Found THESE on Amazon and installed them today. Picture three. Big improvement and hope to get better response from them. Enclosed LEDs and very easy to install. Picture four shows the finished deal. 1700 lumens. May double up in the main bathroom for DW to put on makeup. We will see. Fairly inexpensive upgrade....Dennis

one.jpg

Two.jpg

Three.jpg

Four.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Some time ago someone used a two pole ( not sure if that’s the correct word) switch so he had a low and a high light choice, I’m no electrician so I don’t know if I’m describing this correctly.

Most likely you are describing a two position (or maybe THREE) switch.  There are ON/OFF switches...they are Single Pole Single Throw (SPST).  That means there are only TWO wires.  The switch has only TWO positions.  Thus one circuit (Single Pole) and two positions (Single Throw...as in Back and Forth.

There is another type of switch.  It is a Single Pole Double Throw.  SPDT.  It selects either circuit A or circuit B.  So, you have ONE contact or wire with power.  Then you have TWO positions.  When the switch is pushed down...the power (center of the switch) goes to the A contact....thus....whatever wire is attached to A has power.  Then you push it UP as in the top is pushed in.  Then the power goes from the center to the B circuit. 

Your Slide Switches are this way.  BUT, the are a SPDT Center OFF...  as in they are spring loaded and when you release the button or quit pushing....the switch is spring loaded and goes to the center OFF position.

WITHOUT GETTING COMPLEX....  

What we have, or most of have, are Light fixtures with a side switch.  SO, we can turn off one light fixture and the rest of the circuit stays on.  This is typical...but MAY not have been... on most MH.  I have three Flourescents.  I leave one of them off.  The main switch turns on the entire circuit....so all three come one.  My wife does not like one of them on.  So, on the side of that fixture, there is an ON/OFF for it.  I turn it off.  Thus only 2 stay on.  

NOW...what the individual PROBABLY used...was a special "lighting" switch.  He installed TWO sets of LED's.  On the BOTTOM of when he pushed one side, then ONE set of LED's came.  So that was wired to the A set or array.  He also has a B set.  They are the SAME power or illumination.  When he pushed the B or HIGH SIDE, the switch then turned on BOTH the A and the B.  NOW, there were actually FOUR contacts on the switch.  IT GETS DEEP...LOL.  Power IN or the center.  Then A for the one set.  The B position has TWO Contacts.  You have to also attach the A LED to the second contact.  SO, when he pushed the HIGH side...the switch made contact with BOTH of those  I say it is SPECIAL, in that it NEEDS an additional contact to get both of them ON...

Otherwise....he would have had to have THREE sets of arrays.  ONE was for the A or low.  THEN the other two, were hooked up together and when he went to HIGH....both of them were ON....and the other single set was off.  That is the SIMPLE way....  It would take a special switch to have ONE on of BOTH...